Residents, Income tax on property in and outside Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 May 2014 3:31 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

John,

I know now where the confusion comes from:

If you  are a Spain tax resident with goods abroad that you have not declared to the Treasure, this, the Treasure will treat those assets as a non justified income which is taxed at the marginal rate of our Income Tax ( over 50%) and applied to the last non expired tax year UNLESS you prove that the now non declared Spain assets were duly declared in its time or were acquired when you were not a Spain  tax resident.

Does it make more sense now?

This did not apply as I had declared purchase of the property and land.

The ‘warning’ re property in Spain, other than one’s main home,  may have been ‘buried’ in this thread.  

Income tax is imposed on that,  at the rate of catastral value multiplied by 1.1%.  This is FOUR times higher than the tax paid by non-residents on ‘holiday homes’.

Like 0      
27 May 2014 3:38 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9403 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Thanks Lobin. It has helped a lot to clarify my confusion too.

And yes John, you are right, completely right.

Under the Income Tax Law, property abroad are imputed to produce " benefits" ( rentas inmobiliarias) as those located in Spain are.

I was focusing on Declaration rights under recent 2012 Law.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
27 May 2014 3:53 PM by norm de plume Star rating in North Tenerife and L.... 162 posts Send private message

Complain to Brussels!

Like 0      
31 May 2014 9:11 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Just to clarify._

Reply from Mariadecastro       yes John, you are right, completely right.

---------------------------------------------------

I am Tax resident in Spain.  I own the property we live in which has a parking space and trastero (store room) on the same escritura.   No income tax to pay on them.  

I also own a lock-up garage in Spain  and my wife owns a property and a plot of land in the Philippines  (or it could be anywhere outside Spain, the same would apply, so say in UK).  No income is produced from these properties  Nevertheless, we must pay (imputed) income tax on them.

On the lock up,  catastral value, multiplied by 1.1%    (18,000€  X  1.1%)    =  198 €  tax.

Property O/S Spain,  50% of the purchase price times 1.1%  (50,000 € x 50%  = 25,000 X 1.1%)  275€  tax.

A non-resident in Spain, on a property with a cadastral value of 25,000 €  (holiday home) would pay 24.75% of the 275€  so just 68 €

NB    This is not Patrimonio Tax but Income Tax, despite there being no income..  Chargeable only because we are tax resident in Spain.

If we did not own the lock up garage,  or property outside Spain, but had kept the funds in a bank (where we would have had to pay tax only on the interest) we would not have any additional income tax to pay.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 31/05/2014.

Like 0      
31 May 2014 10:22 AM by Kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Johnz the amounts you quote for the properties in Spain, are the taxable amounts, not the tax payable. 

Like 0      
31 May 2014 10:37 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Kathyslad.  No, it's the amount I paid. 

Unlike non residents who pay 24.75% of the 1.1%, residents pày the full 1.1% for 'additional' properties ad land no matter where they are.

Like 0      
31 May 2014 11:40 AM by Kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

Thats not what it says in the tax law Johnz, it definitely says its income. However, it also cross references back into the law on Wealth Tax. When I ran it through the Padre (and I included it as an overseas property), it seemed to work the tax out at around 35%. When I have more time next week I'll research it further.

Like 2      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Urgent Sale 2012 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque Pure - 0 posts
Murcia airport still a great place.. now selling duty free goods - 7 posts
Endesa Ombudsman - 0 posts
Electricity tariffs - 3 posts
temporary internet options - 10 posts
Property transfer taxes in Seville - 2 posts
Restoration of flat - 4 posts
TWO SINGLE BEDS FOR SALE - 1 posts
Taxman investigates Pensions from outside Spain - 44 posts
Chinese Junk Shops Why So Many - 8 posts
wanted. outer glass door for electic oven. - 2 posts
Elderly village/home in South Spain - 2 posts
Property transfer tax in Andalucia for under 35s - 4 posts
Legal tip 1149. Timeshare and frauds - 0 posts
How do i find cheap car insurance without an agents - 5 posts
What EU MEP's should focus on and make the work for all of us - 18 posts
Carboneras Hotel: Stay or Go? - 0 posts
Barclays-how does it affect ex pats with UK accounts - 12 posts
Decent plumber needed - 0 posts
TFProperties (Cezar Fenianos) Was based on La Torre Golf - 1 posts
Spain's New Stringent traffic laws - 13 posts
Bank Instruments For Lease - 0 posts
Hi all, Wanting some advice on moving to Andalucia region of Spain. Rental help! :) - 28 posts
"Son of Form 720" - 3 posts
SURE PAYS TO SHOP AROUND - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 27

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x