Taxman investigates Pensions from outside Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 May 2014 7:39 PM by Kathyslad Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

If the inheritor is a non resident and the asset is outside Spain, say a bank account in the  UK, then no inheritance tax is payable in Spain.   If the inheritor is resident in Spain, then the same assets in the UK is subject to inheritance tax in Spain. Theoretically it could be traced via the will ( UK or Spanish ), and/or reporting by the UK authorities.

This message was last edited by Kathyslad on 29/05/2014.

Like 0      
29 May 2014 10:27 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

In the UK the tax bill is on the estate,not the inheritor. When you (executor) file for probate and list the assets of the estate, that's when the IHT is calculated, and paid by the executor there and then, or as soon as possible, (except when transferring property to surviving spouse) before the beneficiaries see a penny. I'm not a lawyer but have been executor for several estates. You can transfer assets, including property, into the inheritor's name simply by showing your executor's probate grant,eg, to the land registry or bank. No-one asks to see the will. No-one checks up on whether you disposed of the assets in accordance with the testator's wishes. I can't see where the Spanish authorities would start looking. They'd have to check every beneficiary on every UK will and then figure out if that beneficiary lived in Spain. 

I have no idea what happens when a large estate of a UK resident is left to a Spanish resident. I can't see the UK taxman saying to the executor "Oh, he's left his estate to someone living in Spain so don't bother to give us the £x million we would normally get. Give it to the Spanish taxman instead". My instinct is the UK taxman would say "we are owed £x million from this estate. Give it to us and you can do what you like with the rest". But I might very well be wrong.

This message was last edited by GuyT on 29/05/2014.

This message was last edited by GuyT on 29/05/2014.

Like 1      
30 May 2014 12:43 PM by ferrotty Star rating. 18 posts Send private message

I have been following this thread which is very Interesting, we have a place Manilva way that we rent out with good rental, ignoring the rental income as we have a faily big mortgage we intend to retire within two years and possible move to Spain and run our own rental but I am really worried what I will get taxed on my private pension and the wife's, mine Is approx £23500 per year and we both have Sipps that we will use flex drawdown on so I'm wondering will we get hammered for tax in Spain, she will drawdown £10000 per yr for 4-5 years and mine will probably add another £5000-6000 per year for 4-5 years.

Will we be better tax wise keeping under the 6 month limit and just running our rental for the 6 months then going back to UK.

M

Like 0      
30 May 2014 12:58 PM by rugby86 Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

What seems very strange to me is that the Spanish government declares it does not charge tax on a military UK pension.  However, one is required to declare the gross pension income, which is then added to your overall taxable income in Spain.

This, of course, may well lift one to a higher rate of tax.  It all sounds a bit of "Stage Irish" to me and I am Irish.

Like 0      
30 May 2014 1:05 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

What seems very strange to me is that the Spanish government declares it does not charge tax on a military UK pension.

That is true as of now. 

Government employee pensions, including military, are ignored  (not declared)  in Spain. I have lived here 27 years and have had such a pension.  However, it would appear the law will change as has been described in the forum.  

This message was last edited by johnzx on 30/05/2014.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Chinese Junk Shops Why So Many - 8 posts
wanted. outer glass door for electic oven. - 2 posts
Elderly village/home in South Spain - 2 posts
Property transfer tax in Andalucia for under 35s - 4 posts
Legal tip 1149. Timeshare and frauds - 0 posts
How do i find cheap car insurance without an agents - 5 posts
What EU MEP's should focus on and make the work for all of us - 18 posts
Carboneras Hotel: Stay or Go? - 0 posts
Barclays-how does it affect ex pats with UK accounts - 12 posts
Decent plumber needed - 0 posts
TFProperties (Cezar Fenianos) Was based on La Torre Golf - 1 posts
Spain's New Stringent traffic laws - 13 posts
Bank Instruments For Lease - 0 posts
Hi all, Wanting some advice on moving to Andalucia region of Spain. Rental help! :) - 28 posts
"Son of Form 720" - 3 posts
SURE PAYS TO SHOP AROUND - 0 posts
Helens Kitchen Roldan - 7 posts
Another one bites the dust - 1 posts
Broadband stick - 6 posts
Anti EU political party in Spain. - 26 posts
Kitchen Units Wickes - 0 posts
New Video how to use your EHIC Card Abroad - 2 posts
Sad Sad Situation - 5 posts
Worst of CostaLuz Lawyers problems - 16 posts
Water Rights - 7 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 45

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x