Really green questions - but we all have to learn to walk before we run!!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Apr 2014 8:56 PM by batbrit Star rating. 29 posts Send private message

Hi & I am new to this forum & pretty green as you will see but I hope you can shed some light on a dumb Brit.
I am thinking of buying a small flat in Valencia, probably a bank repo, 2 or 3 bedrooms.
I will be using it for only about 3 to 4 months a year, mainly in the winter.
I will buy cash, no mortgage.

Right so, and I am not asking for exacts, just rough estimates here & basic info.

1. WIll the flat have a 'lease' as in the UK - like some have 99 year or 999 year leases in the UK.
2. It will not be in a complex with a pool - so what would the average yearly or monthly maintence charge be?
3. If it is all electric is there a standing charge for the year or do you pay just for what you use.
4. Are the electric meters usually inside or outside of the flat?
5. same as question 3 with water & drainage.
6. Same as question 4 for the water.
7. What other charges (in Euros or £) will I be expected to pay per year. Does it matter I will only be there
for 3 months? I will not be letting but allowing the odd week free for family. I mean rubbish collection etc-
can I tell the local council when I won't be there to reduce costs?
8. Can I get mobile internet on PAYG? Is this the cheapest way for the internet? I have Three mobile unlimited
on UK contract. There was a recent announcement that roaming charges will be abolished Euro wide so will this
affect Euro mobile internet (I get 4G via tethering)
9. Do all flats have multiflat dish connections & is it possible just to hook up a UK sky box with a single LNB connector?
10. The money is from my Dad's death. I am currently not working. Will I need to fill out a tax return in Spain? If so
will they accept that I have no income?
11. I have heard they assume you rent out even if you do not. What will this be on a £25000 flat? It is not a new build
just an old backstreet flat.

Hope you can enlighten me on any points above. Thanks guys/gals!

Like 1      
29 Apr 2014 9:59 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

1. WIll the flat have a 'lease' as in the UK - like some have 99 year or 999 year leases in the UK.

Generally, no. Unless it is in a block of flats then usually freehold. By block I mean one of those semi high rise ones with 20 or 30 flats. 
2. It will not be in a complex with a pool - so what would the average yearly or monthly maintence charge be?

Again, generally nothing unless in a big block of flats which will have a yearly fee depending on lifts, amenities, cleaning etc. No idea of the costs.
3. If it is all electric is there a standing charge for the year or do you pay just for what you use.

Standing charge and taxes have to be paid. Depends on the power you are contracted for but a 5.75kw contract (now the standard) about €56 every 2 months before you even plug anything in. Electricity is the biggest cost here with average bills around 80 to 110 euro a month. For a small flat about 80 when you are here depending on if you have aircon/heating.
4. Are the electric meters usually inside or outside of the flat?

Outside
5. same as question 3 with water & drainage.

Water standing charges include rubbish collection and sewerage. Generally around €50 a quarter but your bills will not rise significantly when you actually use water.
6. Same as question 4 for the water.

Outside
7. What other charges (in Euros or £) will I be expected to pay per year. Does it matter I will only be there
for 3 months? I will not be letting but allowing the odd week free for family. I mean rubbish collection etc-
can I tell the local council when I won't be there to reduce costs?

IBI (council tax) depending on the area. 2 bed flat in Valencia region around 90 to 120 euro a year and no, you have to pay for the whole year with no rebate.

8. Can I get mobile internet on PAYG? Is this the cheapest way for the internet? I have Three mobile unlimited
on UK contract. There was a recent announcement that roaming charges will be abolished Euro wide so will this
affect Euro mobile internet (I get 4G via tethering)

Yes, you can get a dongle. There are also companies which provide internet/phone etc that you switch off when you are not there.
9. Do all flats have multiflat dish connections & is it possible just to hook up a UK sky box with a single LNB connector?

Not all. Some do. They have Spanish TV provided but not satellite dishes. You could have one fitted if you have the room and any Sky box or UK freesat box will work. Again, some companies provide TV you can switch off if not there. 
10. The money is from my Dad's death. I am currently not working. Will I need to fill out a tax return in Spain? If so
will they accept that I have no income?

No, not as a non-resident. You will have to pay "imputed" income tax which again depends on the region. In Valencia around 80 euro a year per person on the deeds. You will also have to pay bank charges as a non-resident which could be anything from 10 to 40 euro a quarter depending on the bank. 
11. I have heard they assume you rent out even if you do not. What will this be on a £25000 flat? It is not a new build
just an old backstreet flat.

That is your imputed income tax as above. You may find it easier to use a solicitor to set up all your bills and do your tax return but be warned, that will come to more than the council tax at around 135 euro a year.

HTH

Like 2      
29 Apr 2014 10:45 PM by batbrit Star rating. 29 posts Send private message

Wow thanks to that bobaol. The electric was an eye opener esp in a country with so much sun. What's wrong with solar farms there? We have them here in Lincs!

So they charge for banking too so no free banking or is that just for Brits?

Do they also exchange the imputed income tax info with HMRC? Do they ask where the cash comes from, ie money laundering - will that be an issue do you think? I don't have an issue with paying Spanish tax, using Spanish workers to do the place up a bit, just that the money was a 'cash gift' so to speak.

Thanks again.

DH

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Applying for "residencia" in La Linea - 8 posts
No Nudity Please - We're British!....I wish - 7 posts
SPAIN HAS A ROBIN HOOD TOO - 0 posts
PRICES STILL FALLING IN SPAIN - 21 posts
Construction works in Spain Increased by 23.9% last February - 1 posts
Any Flight Booking Experts Here? - 4 posts
HAS ANYONE IN JEREZ GOT A SPANISH SECOND HAND CAR FOR SALE? - 0 posts
English version of Modalo 210 ... How do you get an original blank TAX from - 2 posts
Moving to Spain - 2 posts
URGENT 5 nights accommodation needed! - 0 posts
Banks debts - 1 posts
DOWNLOADING PHOTOS FROM LAPTOP TO A C.D.DISC. - 5 posts
Long term rental?? - 0 posts
CLeaning materials for septic tanks - 2 posts
For Sale RHD Spanish plate Peugeot 306 Cabriolete - 0 posts
Sat signal - 4 posts
CPR Condado de Alhama - 0 posts
CPR Condado - 0 posts
community laws / rules - 2 posts
Kids Savings Junior Isas Childtrust funds low cost index trackers.... - 0 posts
What would you do ? - 7 posts
Hi all! - 1 posts
Need help with Uso Fructo Rights. - 5 posts
Closed account - Threatened with legal action. - 9 posts
End to Mediterranean dream? - 76 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x