Need help with Uso Fructo Rights.

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Apr 2014 10:31 AM by Jacquie21 Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

Last year my partner of 20 years died very suddenly of cancer of which we both knew nothing.  He has left me the one bedroom apt. we have lived in for 20 years and which we have bought everything together and two studios of 20 squ. meters each with a current value of 22.000 for each studio and one studio which is half owned by my partner and a friend as an investment.  My partner was reforming it at the time of his death and the plan was always to reform and sell it. My apt in the same block has a current value of 50,000.

He has left me the properties Uso Fructio and on my death will go to his son and daughter. This is now causing many problems.  At the time of his death the children could not be bothered to come to his funeral and refused to help in anyway towards the 4000 euros it cost which I had to borrow from our friend and part owner of one studio.   At the time the son agreed (he has power of attorney over his sister) that I should borrow the money and when we sold the studio the funeral costs would be deducted from the cost.  He has now renaged on this oral agreement and the one whatsapp text message in which he agrees has been lost as he deleted the account.  He is refusing to pay any community costs at all of the studio which is for sale and although our friend has paid her half of everything he refuses not only to pay the fees but says that unless I agree to pay the funeral (which I have now said I will) and all the community fees and ibi etc he will not let us sell.  This is now costing our friend money every three months and in fact has cost altogether in the past year 1450 for her alone.  We have had to pay extra community fees for special adaptations to the building as it is very old and used to be a hotel.  

I do not know if any of this makes any sense but the question is this.  What can she do to get the place sold without his agreement, if indeed she can.   Also I have the Uso Fructo and even if it is sold he is saying I have to give up the rights to me 21% life interest.  He is supposed to pay all Community Fees and Ibi etc but refuses.  To date because of the special community fees I have paid nearly 12000 euros to the community and townhall etc.  I have said that because I collect rent (of 200 per studio) I do not mind paying the community fees for the ones I live in and rent but not the one that is up for sale.  We had a buyer for the last six months who still wants the studio and is willing to wait but not for ever.  Can we go to a judge for example and take an embargo against the property and then ask for the property to be awarded to us as he is refusing to pay anything and the studio is only worth 22000.  

On my studios and home.  Although I was not registered at the town hall that I was living conjunto I can prove through bank statements and a joint bank account in Gibraltar and telephone bills and neighbours etc etc that we did live together as man and wife.  If he had not died so suddenly he was going to change his will if I did not get my divorce (complicated).  He was going to leave our home to me entirely and Uso Fructo on the others.  As it happened my divorce actually became legal two weeks before he died and we had decided to get married in the May (he died in March) in Gibraltar as he wanted my security if anything happened to him before me.  He did not want me to spend my money on properties that would go to his children eventually therefore depriving my own children of any money I will leave.   Is there anyway being as it is legally his responsability and because of his attitude I can get him to pay the fees or part of them?   He has told people that because his father left the property to me Uso Fructo he is going to make sure I go bankrupt and will have to return to Uk and live on benefits for the rest of my life.  My partners money was all in UK and he has received all that plus shares, premium bonds etc.  

My savings are depleting at an alarming rate.

Sorry for the rant but I am on the point of tearing my hair out as I really cannot afford lawyers having already had to pay legal fees for the acceptance of will and inheritance charge etc. I just need some sensible advice on how to go not only for me but my friend as well as she cannot afford to keep paying community charges for a property that is supposed to be sold by now.  

Thankyou

Jacquie

Like 0      
25 Apr 2014 8:29 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I would suggest that the last thing you should do is ask for advice here or in any similar forum. You have enough problems already. Go to a legally qualified person.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 25/04/2014.

Like 2      
25 Apr 2014 3:42 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Johnzx-she has already said that she can't afford professional help;is there no where she could go to get free advice?

This situation is an awful mess.

I can't tell if the partnership was registered, which would surely give her more rights? Sorry, just re read it and realised  the partnership wasn't legally registered.

This message was last edited by camposol on 25/04/2014.

Like 1      
25 Apr 2014 4:07 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Johnzx-she has already said that she can't afford professional help;is there no where she could go to get free advice?

Some professionals give free advice.  But any 'advise' she might get here will probably lead her into more problems.  

Not even the best professionals would attempt to give advice based on what she has stated here.

Like 2      
25 Apr 2014 4:22 PM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

Johnzx is right in that the issue is a very complex one and if the poster cannot afford qualified legal advice, it will not get satisfactorily resolved.

Basic ownership and usufruct rights are two different concepts.  In this case, the basic owner is the son of the partner and Jacquie only has the right to use  the property and enjoy any income derived from it.  The property cannot be sold without the agreement and signing of the basic owner.  Ususfruct holders do not have the right to transfer ownership because they are not owners.

It is sad that Jacquie is saying her partner did not intend to leave her this mess but that is the way he left it and nothing can be done now to revert the situation as he did leave a will.

Jacquie asks whether they can sue the son for the community fees and then have an embargo put on the property.  This can probably be done but it will take a long time to be resolved and requires the services of a qualified lawyer.  However, the property would not get awarded to Jacquie or her friend.  It would be auctioned off to the best bidder in a legal auction.  That would take even more time.

Whether Jacquie and her partner lived together as man and wife or the partnership was registered  is irrelevant for these purposes as there was a will leaving ownership to the son and usufruct rights to Jacquie.  Even if some creative thinking and in depth analysis of the facts and documents could result in a way out,  that would require a qualified legal professional spending quite a bit of time and negotiating with the son and for an apartment worth 22,000 Euros, I just don't see it practical. Some lawyers do not charge for an initial consultation but this situation is complex and an initial consultation is just not enough.

Like 3      
25 Apr 2014 6:36 PM by Jacquie21 Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

Thanks everyone for your imput. Have decided to go through a lawyer and have already been told that there have been successful cases in Spain where the judge has decided that being as the inheritor has absolutely no interest in paying any fees etc for a property of low value where the USO fructose owner has been awarded the property. It will take up to five years before I can do this but am willing to wait.

So not so bleak afterall.

Jacquie

Like 2      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Closed account - Threatened with legal action. - 9 posts
End to Mediterranean dream? - 76 posts
Real Estate Surge Threatened - 0 posts
Gardening advice - 9 posts
How to declaring rented apartmented in RENTA 2013 - 7 posts
barryjw - 7 posts
Buying Costs? - 5 posts
neil (biggsy14) - 0 posts
How long can i stay in Spain, without the Spanish tax man being after me. - 27 posts
Use of UK Disabled badge in Spain - 6 posts
For Sale Baby Car seat and buggy 30 euro each or 50 for the two - 0 posts
Taxes when selling our house in Spain - 12 posts
Replacement Textilene Sun Lounger Covers - 3 posts
Cowboy builders abroad-reactions? - 4 posts
furniture for sale - 1 posts
La Unión - 1 posts
Hello Any Advice on Life In Alicante???? - 21 posts
Anything to look out for when buying a new TV to connect to IPTV? - 7 posts
Join 'Duquesa Astronomical Society' - 0 posts
Astronomy Group - Duquesa/Manilva/Estepona & San Pedro - 0 posts
1.5bn Euro of EU money goes missing in Spain - 6 posts
Reclaim IVA on new car? - 4 posts
The economy is looking good in the U.K - 12 posts
transfer to spanish plates - 3 posts
NAME AND SHAME - 32 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x