driving a UK reg car in Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Nov 2013 3:24 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Sorry Baz,   this is getting confusing. If you mean imposing the rule of not paying if the vehicle is defective (i.e. 'failing to maintain the vehicle in a roadworthy condition)   that does apply now and to my knowledge has done so for at least 25 years.

To you confusing yes, to me no.

Incidentally.  In Spain if  one is stopped (has an accident etc)  and is found to be  ‘over the limit’  that  renders the insurance invalid.

Couldn't find anything about being "Over the limit" in my posts.

Like 1      
26 Nov 2013 4:50 PM by Wang Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

This message was last edited by Wang on 26/11/2013.

This message was last edited by Wang on 26/11/2013.

Like 0      
02 Sep 2014 9:54 AM by Geoffrey321 Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

I have had my car insurance with Liberty Seguros for the last 9 years without making a claim

Around 75 days ago my UK registered LHD car was stolen and now Liberty Seguros are saying that because the registered keeper of the car is a motor dealer based in the UK they will not pay out on the policy

I have sent Liberty Seguros a letter from the motor dealer stating that although they are the registerd keeper of the car that I am the actual owner

I am not a Spanish resident and the car has a currrent British MOT and road tax

I would appperciate any advice on how to proceed

Like 0      
02 Sep 2014 1:01 PM by Tadd1966 Star rating in Los Montesinos. 1754 posts Send private message

Geoffrey321

Maybe they are tesing you out

How long have you had the car in Spain, your message implies 9 yrs?

How have you been getting txa and MOT over teh last 9 yrs?

Can you prove you have been taking it back to teh UK for MOT every year?

Why is the motor dealer the registered keeper?

All sounds a bit dodgy to me and maybe this why they are challenging you

In UK the registered keeper is not necessairly the owner however the follwoing link should help clarify

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q743.htm

Just in case link does not work

A registration document (V5) is not proof of ownership. The registered keeper should be the person who is actually using / keeping the vehicle and this is not necessarily the owner of the vehicle or the person who is paying for it.

He is the person responsible for the vehicle so far as official communications from the police/DVLA etc., but the owner is the person who put up the cash (or was given it as a gift).

The DVLA make a point of saying that the person named on the registration document is not necessarily the owner.

This is particularly true with a company car which is owned by the company, however the registration document should show the registered keeper, i.e. the day to day user (this may be an employee who has it as a permanent perk with his/her job).

In the case of a car used by a married couple, ownership of any property is usually classed as joint and if the husband was stopped driving the vehicle without insurance the police would probably accept that he was joint owner and not look to the wife for additional offences, such as owner permitting no insurance.

A registered keeper will usually be regarded as responsible for parking tickets etc so it would be wise to have the registration document changed if you are the owner, but not the user/keeper. There might also be some circumstances where you would be deemed as being the owner of the vehicle for an insurance offence, e.g. if you are permitting someone to use the vehicle knowing full well it is not insured or roadworthy.

Most insurance companies insist that the person who they insure is the primary user of the vehicle and can specify that the person is the registered keeper. It is up to them who they will or will not insure.

Like 0      
02 Sep 2014 1:35 PM by camposol Star rating in Camposol. 1406 posts Send private message

Geoffrey321 are you actually living in Spain full time?

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

FRAUD - SPAM - Private Message - Please do not respond !! - 8 posts
Spain is tightening the belt ! - 0 posts
New Years eve and New years day - 1 posts
ABANDONED HOUSE-IN VALLE DE LOS PINOS-ORIHUELA COSTA/ALICANTE PROVINCE- INFO PLEASE ! - 1 posts
How soon is too soon? - 5 posts
Online shopping - 2 posts
Garage Needed - 0 posts
British expats are too busy to feel homesick- do you agree? - 48 posts
How Nice - 31 posts
Anybody been in this position - 2 posts
ABANDONED HOUSE -VALLE DE LOS PINOS -ORIHUELA/ALICANTE-info-please ! - 0 posts
Price review on ITP tax payment - 1 posts
Gas Heater Servicing - 5 posts
What is the pay like? - 1 posts
Cheapest Airline? - 12 posts
Cost of advertising on this website - 2 posts
New Spanish laws...... - 24 posts
Public Parking in Guaro - 2 posts
Uploading a photo - 4 posts
Spanish/Gib border control not illegal. - 27 posts
CBL Abogados - 0 posts
car hire debit card - 4 posts
13 most wanted criminals living in Spain - 1 posts
DOERS SHE OR DOESN'T SHE - 3 posts
Growl! - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 25

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x