english reg car

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Jun 2007 4:18 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Foxbat, go as far off topic as you like, I'm loving this stuff!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 Jun 2007 5:22 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar

Great stuff - I just love anomalies and ridiculous laws.

A few weeks ago I was driving some old clients from a restaurant (about 1 in the morning)  We meet about 3 or 4 times a year for a natter and a good laugh.

Leaving Puerto de Mazarron and heading home I came across some heavy road works, there were pot holes the size of meteor crators!!!  It was also very windy and dust and builders sand  along with the dark made the whole scene like the old London smog days.

I put on my front fog lights to pick out the pot-hole, they were on for a about ten seconds when suddenly a Guardia Civil car lunged  in front of me with lights flashing.  I was doing about 5 mph, he was doing about 35mph. 

He pulled me over and gave me a 90€ on the spot fine for having my fog lights on when there was no fog.  I pointed out that the pot-holes and the swirling sand were so bad that I could hardly see a thing.  But to no avail, I was in the wrong.  I argued a little more and he reached for his breathalizer, I had only had a couple of glasses of wine over 5-6 hours but I just knew he would find me over the limit so I shut up and paid up.

The police station petty cash must have been a bit low

Business advice and consultancy - Visit www.calidain2business.com

Calida in2 Business - Spanish Property Clearance.

www.spanishpropertyclearance.com

Like 0      
18 Jun 2007 5:31 PM by Gillespie Star rating in Costa Calida Area. 608 posts Send private message

Gillespie´s avatar

I forgot the funniest bit,

At the point where the policeman reached for his breathalizer, Jean, one of the clients, reached in her handbag and pulled out a handfull of mint imperials and threw them all (about 10) in my mouth.  I couldn´t speak.  I just prayed I didn´t sneeze or I would have but a row of holes down the side of the police car that would have looked like they had been hit  by a buch of Uzi toteing mafia.

Business advice and consultancy - Visit www.calidain2business.com

Calida in2 Business - Spanish Property Clearance.

www.spanishpropertyclearance.com

Like 0      
18 Jun 2007 6:41 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Foxbat, just going back to the question of when is a coach not a coach? So, if you didn't actually tell anyone that you'd taken the seats out, could the vehicle continue to be used as a coach? I know there'd always be the risk of getting pulled up and caught with no seats, but.....it seems really daft. If I put the back seats of my hatchback down and fill the boot with building materials, as I have done recently while doing a renovation, my car doesn't suddenly become a builder's truck, does it?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
19 Jun 2007 4:07 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

That is alsoa  question that I asked DVLA! How many seats do I have to leave in for it to remain a coach? At what point does it become an HGV. They were quite unable or unwilling to provide and answer...! Which is how and why the courts had so much trouble with the case I referred to. 

Once again unfortunately we are getting a long way off topic, but I would like to share this dream with you...Despite owning the Yank Tank I would still dearly love to be the master of my own design; this is the coach that we had originally intended to buy from Spain...

Water tanks and waste tanks go underfloor along with a 4kW AC generator and additional batteries.

All of these seats would have been removed to leave a huge space for the rework

Just retaining the front two rows of seats.

The business end; my territory!

Had we gone ahead with the plan at the time, the intention was to remove all but the four pairs of seats at the front, reversing those behind the driver and courier seats to faceaft, and moving the second row of seats back to the positions of those formerly occupied by the third row. Tables  would have been installed between these two groups of four seats to give dining facilities for up to eight people. Fresh Water  and waste tanks were to have been installed under the floor along with a 4kW diesel generator and inverter to provide DC and AC power. A flush toilet and washroom with a separate shower were also planned, along with a kitchen, a double bedroom at the rear, and a sofa-cama and armchairs midships. Sounds a lot to get into a small space but we already have all of this and a lot more in the 30ft Yank Tank and this paricular coach was 42 feet long! Not ideal for some of the Spanish roads but as a long range cruiser absolutely ideal. On our original pricing the whole thing could have been brought in for a little under 25K Euros including the base vehicle. Most of the internal soft furnishings, carpets, curtains, lighting etc.,  would have been retained and as I have found out since its amazing what you can do with laminated chipboard and MDF for cupboards, wardrobes and partitions!

I still hold onto the dream, but now I need a lottery win....

As an example of what can be achieved see http://odyssey.smugmug.com/Architecture and its main site http://www.ourodyssey.us/. This one however is a no expense spared version, but the basic principles are there.

For the enthusiastic amateur another site, http://www.sbmcc.co.uk  is a treasure trove of D-I-Y conversions. Whilst most are based on Transits and similar vehicles there are a couple of really good coach conversions.

I am probablly going to get my wrists slapped for drifting so far off topic, but at the end of the day, isn't this site all about dreams? 

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
19 Jun 2007 11:02 PM by jmtwsm Star rating in Sabinillas CDS. 191 posts Send private message

jmtwsm´s avatar

You may be off topic Foxbat, but this is fascinating stuff.

I neither knew or wanted to know anything about coach conversions before you started, but I'm now fascinated by the subject and eagerly awaiting the next installment.

As for my belgian van, it still has left dipping headlights and the original kph speedo. A little bit of masking tape on the headlights, some stuck-on numbers on the speedo and a second foglight were all that was required for it to sail through its MOT.       When I get to Spain, removing the stick-ons will make it the same as any other Spanish van, so I just need to sort out the paperwork and part with vast loads of cash.

Like 0      
20 Jun 2007 12:18 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar
Thrilling stuff eh... watch this space!

Like 0      
20 Jun 2007 12:18 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Me too! I'm completely hooked on the dream now!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
20 Jun 2007 12:22 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar
Im getting a guilty conscience about this off topic stuff  now so will start a seperate thread on why I wish Id gone the bus route instead of Yank Tank!  Look for a thread called Fan Belts!

Like 0      
20 Jun 2007 8:02 AM by jmtwsm Star rating in Sabinillas CDS. 191 posts Send private message

jmtwsm´s avatar

Foxbat,

I have just read your "Fanbelts" thread and feel that there could be a book in this.

Is your renovation as interesting ?

Like 0      
20 Jun 2007 11:03 AM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

The answer is 'probably' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When my wife returns from the UK we will probably do a joiht project on the whole story under the heading "How Not to Move to Spain"...

Despite everything that fate has thrown at us since we made the decision to come out here we are still smiling...just!

Its been an uphill struggle most of the time,but to coin a phrase we think we can see the light at the end of the tunnel, however, knowing our luck its procable the headlight of an oncoming train.........

Like 0      
06 Jul 2007 9:49 AM by tinasolera Star rating in Murcia. 801 posts Send private message

tinasolera´s avatar

Just watched a programme on spain channel 293 about car registartion in Spain. In may 2007 a new law came in that if you bring an english plate car over to Spain and dont re-register it by 30 days then you are liable to pay 12% of the value of the car. This is to encourage people not to get on with the re-registration.The pregramme heavily advised not to take a UK car over and just as it got to the part of insuring a UK/RHD car my son stepped on the remote and changed channel. When i switched it back on the lady said up to 50% excess. Does anyone know if insuring a RHD car in Spain is liable to a 50% excess? as i didnt hear it all.

I think i might sell our car here and start again. Its a newish car 2yrs old and will lose loads of money on it but it will become practically worthless in Spain being RHD and also more difficult to drive in Spain. Oh what to do????????

Well might go and clean the car then and pull the sticky sweets of the seats!!!

www.galgosdelsol.es

Like 0      
06 Jul 2007 11:27 AM by Diane and Joe Star rating in Sheffield. 152 posts Send private message

Diane and Joe´s avatar

Hi Tina

Unfortunately, I didn't see this programme.  Was the programme about foreign cars being permanently brought into Spain?  I'm just thinking about how the law might be applied to people who want to drive to Spain in their foreign car, spend more than 30 days on holiday in Spain and then drive the car back home.  I know people who work in education who do this over the summer break.

Is it going to be one of those daft situations where you have to drive out of Spain on day 29  and back in again the next day to get another 30 days in the country with your car?  Not too difficult if you live near a border, but if you're on the Costa Cálida ....

Diane

Like 0      
06 Jul 2007 11:38 AM by tinasolera Star rating in Murcia. 801 posts Send private message

tinasolera´s avatar

Hi Diane

I got the impression it applied to every car being imported wheter staying or just visiting.... however i may well have misunderstood as i was fairly distracted.

Just got my car valued.... i cant believe it, its lost £8000 in 2 years. I now have to decide wheter to take it to Spain or just cut my losses. Its a renault scenic.

If anyone has any afvice they can offer on this then please get typing because i am well stuck!!!!! That 12% only applied apparently if you didnt regeister it within the 30 day period so i would obviously do it quick smart to avoid that but its the other costs im confused about, insurance etc. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

www.galgosdelsol.es

Like 0      
06 Jul 2007 12:28 PM by tinasolera Star rating in Murcia. 801 posts Send private message

tinasolera´s avatar

HI

Ive just read that if you have bought a brand new car in the UK then you are not liable to pay the hefty VAT import duty in Spain. Any comments anyone????

www.galgosdelsol.es

Like 0      
06 Jul 2007 1:16 PM by tinasolera Star rating in Murcia. 801 posts Send private message

tinasolera´s avatar

I found this dated 14th June 2007 so would apply after this new law i heard about. This makes it all alittle clearer. That programme this morning totally threw me!!!

Diane hope this helps

There is no problem with Britons taking their car to Spain, but anyone planning to stay for a year must make sure that they officially import it, says Banco Halifax Hispania.

Britons who spend up to six months a year in Spain can continue to drive their British car with British plates on, as long as it has a valid MOT and is taxed and adequately insured in Britain.  However, anyone planning to stay in Spain longer than this must officially import their car, which includes transferring it onto Spanish registration plates and paying Spanish road tax.

• Certificate of permanent export - You will need to hand all of your car documentation to the DVLA and obtain a certificate of permanent export.
  • Obtain an NIE number - You require an NIE number, passport, driving licence, MOT certificate and insurance papers on hand at all times when registering the vehicle.
  • Register the car with the local council - The car will need to be registered with the local council by obtaining a Nota de Empadronamiento or Residence permit from the town hall where you live.
  • Pass the Spanish MOT - You will be required to have an ITV, the Spanish equivalent to the MOT to ensure that the car is roadworthy.
  • Pay the registration tax - A registration tax (impuesto municipal sobre circulacion de vehiculos) is payable at 12% of the vehicle's current value in Spain.  However, there are exceptions and vehicles with a petrol-engine capacity of less than 1600 cc or a diesel-engine capacity of less than 2 litres are only subject to 7% tax.  You will be completely exempt from tax if the car has been used in the UK during the previous six months; and you have lived in the UK during the previous 12 months; and if you have communicated the change of residence in the 30 days before the registration of the car.  However, if this exemption is applied you will not be able to sell, rent or transfer the vehicle during the first year.
  • Altering your driving licence – You will need to alter your driving licence, either by having your EU licence stamped at the Tráfico office, or by applying for a Spanish licence there.
  • Pay Spanish road tax – You will need to pay Spanish road tax, which is obtainable from your Local Authority.
  • Get the car insured – As soon as the car has been registered in Spain and received its Spanish plates, you must make sure that the car is adequately insured in Spain.
  • Modifications to the car – In Spain, it is compulsory that right hand drive cars must be fitted with headlight converters to adjust the beam pattern so that it does not dazzle oncoming drivers.

Ian Smith, Head of European Operations at Halifax, said:

"Importing a car is just one of the options available to those with a property in Spain. 

"For many, the familiarity of taking their own vehicle to Spain is invaluable.  And, although the process does involve administration, with the right advice it is entirely possible."

Banco Halifax Hispania provides car insurance services to British expatriates.  Available on Spanish plated cars, customers can choose between third party and comprehensive annual cover.  Any no-claims bonus earned in the UK is also transferable to the car insurance policy in Spain.

The policy provides a 24 hour English speaking accident helpline and includes home start roadside assistance and a free selection of repair garage.  100% of the vehicle's replacement value will also be received in case of the vehicle being written off or stolen within the first two years of registration.

In addition, when you request a quote from Banco Halifax Hispania you receive a free road map of Spain.  And, if you take out a car insurance policy with Banco Halifax Hispania, you will receive a Going Places Service Guide, which offers a range of benefits including hotel and garage discounts.

Ends.

This message was last edited by tinasolera on 7/6/2007.

This message was last edited by tinasolera on 7/6/2007.

www.galgosdelsol.es

Like 0      
11 Jul 2007 10:39 PM by renatomd Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

I moved to Spain in January 2007 and bought a car in the uk to bring across, as I thought the cost of cars here seemed very high. However my experience is that I would have been better of buying a car here, my car will not pass the IVA unless I change the headlights for left hand drive, the convertors you stick on will not pass the IVA even if you stick them on the inside as you can with some, and headlight units are not cheap. You can be almost guaranteed that the red tape will have you running round in circles and if you want someone professional to do it for you I have been quoted 1500 euros and am told that is not expensive. What you must all understand is that even though Spain is in the EU the different areas and councils and police decide what EU laws they will ignore and what the will accept, never mind what these banks and officials say on the TV or the papers, if the police want to take your car say goodbye because you will never see it again unless you are willing to pay loads of money in legal costs etc. and that is the reality of living here.

After all that I still think it is the best move I have made.

Like 0      
11 Jul 2007 10:55 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Headlight converters are no longer legal in Spain if you want to IVA it.  They are only to be used by temporary visitors to Spain.  This is in line with other European countries and I remember my UK car failing the German version of the MOT for the same reason.  I had to buy new headlights and kept the old ones for when I went back to UK.

Converters (convertors?) simply muffle the lights because when you dip with UK ones, they dip in the direction of oncoming traffic not the other way round.  A Continental car will not pass a UK MOT unless it has changed its headlights as converters are not acceptable for an MOT.  Advice to anyone thinking of taking a new car bought in UK to anywhere on the Continent on a permanent basis is to buy a LHD car with the appropriate modifications for driving on the right.  Many companies in UK will do this and even provide a continental registration for the country you are going to.  For used cars, much less hassle to buy one in the country you are going to even though (contrary to what you read in the British press) they tend to more expensive on the continent due to less depreciation. 

Like 0      
12 Jul 2007 9:46 AM by Skadisman Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

Hi,

I owned a Belgium people carrier for 7 years.After bringing it into the UK I applied for UK registration.Part of the process is that you have to sign a document to say you have changed the headlights and speedo to UK miles and standard.I cheated on this saying I had done this when in fact i just fitted a set of headlight deflectors(bought from Halfords) and bought some stick on speedo numbers from a motorcycle shop and fitted those at 30,50,70 and 90 mph.As this is done by post,no one was any the wiser.I was never stopped by the police to check this.This vehicle passed its MOT for 7 years in this condition.They always checked that the headlight deflectors were correct but never checked the speedo.I recently sold this vehicle on ebay.The new owner had it MOT'd in a garage in Wiltshire and had no problem in getting it passed.He then set off to live in Bulgaria.All he had to do on reaching France was to remove the deflectors and he was legal in Europe.When you buy a second hand vehicle in Belgium it comes without a number plate as the plate belongs to the owner not the car.You go through an agency to get a transit registration and third party insurance to enable you to drive the car out of Begium.While in this registration office I met 2 Belgium guys who live on the Costa Del Sol who regulary fly to Brussells,buy a second hand car,get the transit reg,then drive them to Spain,register them as Spanish and sell them.They make a good living from this.So,if your brave enough,buy your left hooker in Brussells as they are much cheaper to buy there.By the way,the left hand drive section of ebay is a good place to look for Spanish registered cars.  Alex from Polopos,Costa Tropica.( this small white village is a 15 min drive down to the beach and 1 hour drive to Sierra Nevada skiing.Great views down the mountain to the sea.This is real Spain!)

Like 0      
12 Jul 2007 4:01 PM by spanishbikini Star rating. 21 posts Send private message

Phoned the spanish AA today and they said to transfer english plates to spanish was fairly straight forward. The procedure posted below dated 14th June 2007 indicates headlight converters are still ok. Not saying your wrong Bobaol just the two comments conflict. Where did you get the info about the converters being illegal now? I will ring spanish AA again and see what they say. Nothings ever straight forwrd these days!!!!

Thanks Tina

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

How does a Community Work? - 177 posts
Motoring Organisations - 2 posts
Feliz Navidad - 2 posts
SuperiorworldWide ? - 1 posts
My pics - 2 posts
Is spain in france - 0 posts
INFO PLEASE - 0 posts
medication - 27 posts
angela G - 4 posts
Disablility in Torrevejeia - 0 posts
Spanish Inheritance Tax - 48 posts
Millennium Worldwide - 5 posts
EasyJet seats for summer 2007 are now being sold - 4 posts
WANTED TO RENT - 9 posts
Daily service from Gibraltar to Madrid - 0 posts
new town plan - 2 posts
Independent - 23 posts
Driving Licences - 26 posts
Electricians - 1 posts
Transporting goods to Spain - 13 posts
Skiing in Sierra Nevada - 13 posts
Electricity & Water Charges - 46 posts
Mirador Linked Villas - Fuente de Piedra - 2 posts
Buying and running a car in Spain - 21 posts
long term car rental - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 69

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x