Spanish Incompetence

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
19 May 2013 2:16 PM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar
Some of you may remember the farce that was me trying to register my car in Spain in 2007. Well the story is far from over. Read on ........... I drove my 2001 Celica over to Spain in 2006 and registered it, via a lawyer, for Spanish plates and import duty. That took about 6 months and when I got the paperwork back I put it in for the Spanish equivalent of an MOT, the ITV, after forking out €250's for the lawyer and €1200's import duty. ITV result....FAILED. Why? Because, allegedly, it has the wrong size tyres on. Rubbish, they are the same size tyres that were on it when I drove it off the garage forecourt when I bought it brand new in 2001. So, the lawyer sent the paperwork back, which took another 3 months. I had to pay for another ITV and,this time, it passed, so I presumed all was well and that the paperwork had been corrected. Until the car is over 10 years old the ITV lasts for 2 years. In 2009 it passed again. In 2011 it failed, because it allegedly had the wrong tyres on. We waited 1 week and put it in again having done nothing to it and it passed. In 2012 it failed again. This time because the tyres were the wrong speed rating 87V instead of 88V. These tyres were brand new with no mileage. I contacted the lawyer who sent the paperwork back to the Spanish Traffico who insisted they were right. We put the car in for its ITV again and it passed without having anything done. This year we put it in again and guess what? It's failed again. But, this time the tyres (same ones) are okay. Now its the wheel width!!!!!! 15's instead of 16's, or the other way round, I don't know anymore. So the lawyer has had to send the paperwork back to Traffico again and insist that they look at it again. WHAT A FARCE! NO WONDER THE COUNTRY IS ON ITS KNEES.! The best part of it is that my car has now done 230,000 miles without a break down, never let me down and has only had 2 punctures and 1 new clutch. Now if that doesn't make a mockery of their stupid rules what does?

Like 0      
19 May 2013 3:05 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

Sorry but I couldn't resist........take a look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wtbQUaC9mE

So funny!!

Like 0      
19 May 2013 3:30 PM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar

Yes brilliant.  I've seen it before and it's hilarious and sums it all up exactly.LOL

Like 0      
19 May 2013 5:34 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

It doesn't matter what it drove out of the garage in the UK with , it is what the same vehicle , sold in Spain , is homologated to be fitted with in Spain.

My vehicle supplied new in Germany with bull-bar, side bars & alloy wheels , supplied by Cobra to KIA for fitment as standard & shown on all German paperwork & included on the chassis plate complete with EU homologation number , had to have the same bull-bar & alloys added seperately as the same vehicle sold in Spain does not come with them !!!

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
19 May 2013 6:25 PM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar

So how come sometimes it passes its ITV and sometimes it fails?  Dose it depend on whether the tester has had a row with his wife that day.  

So, the same people who don't know how to drive around a roundabout, can fail my car for something that is acceptable and safe on British roads, and after having safely completed 230,000 miles, without an accident, or a mechanical failure and was designed by some of the best engineers in the world, to be driven all over the world!!!!!!

Yes that makes sense!

Like 0      
19 May 2013 6:30 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
When I imported a Landcruiser, originally from Germany, back in the 90s, there was no equivalent petrol engined model on the Trafico list of vehicles sold in Spain, so they decided it was a diesel. It sailed through ITVs, with its petrol engine and diesel documentation.
It was funny back then. Nowadays, in a world where governments appear to be able to make up rules to confiscate personal property on a whim, it's no longer amusing. It's scary.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
19 May 2013 7:56 PM by guslopez Star rating in Lorca, Murcia.. 745 posts Send private message

Yes, I fully agree. I thought that the idea of 'EU homologation' was thatt hey were all the same. Apparently it isn't so.

It used to be that a new Land Rover discovery wouldn't pass the ITV  until the factory fitted  long rangedriving lights were changed to ones of a lower output as the spanish limit is 75 candle power.  They are all mad ! 

some years back I fitted driving lights to a Ford I had. When I went for the ITV they nearly had a heart attack. It failed due to  'excessive lighting' which apparently is  a muy grave failure , on par with having no brakes whatsoever & unable to leave testing station except on a grua. I just drove outside to the waiting area while they did the paperwork, removed them,(couple of minutes) got paperwork drove back round to the entrance & handed in papers went through & parked & got the pass certificate. lol

when you consider that in nearly 40 ITV's on many different vehicles I have only once had a cursory tug on a seatbelt, twice ,operate horn & never had wiers ever tested it does make you wonderwhatit is all about.

Where I go they seem more interested in whether the auto gearbox is still there , or the sun roof, I might have welded a plate in I suppose.; rather than testing the vehicle is mechanically roadworthy !

Todos somos Lorca.

Like 0      
19 May 2013 8:14 PM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

And they don't even check the spare wheel is present. Why?, because you don't need one to pass the test. How do I know, just taken the wifes car for the test last week, tester opened the boot and my heart missed a beat, I could see the empty space where the wheel was two years previous - the car passed without further comment. Despite fierce questioning my wife has no explanation as to where it might have gone 

Like 0      
19 May 2013 8:44 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Is it the same as in the UK, if a spare is present it has to be roadworthy. If there is no wheel present, there is no problem. Taken many a "dodgy" spare wheel out of a car in the past!!

Also, a lot of new cars now, don't come with a spare wheel at all, just a can of tyre weld.

Mark

Like 0      
19 May 2013 11:35 PM by Patdean Star rating. 45 posts Send private message

My rear windscreen wiper stopped working when my friend opened the boot as the wiper was working.  It got stuck in the upright position and will not start again despite cleaning the contacts.  If I take it for it's MOT will it fail on the wiper.  I know a rear wiper is not mandatory but if it is fitted does it have to work. My Fiesta is pretty old and for the past couple of years the suspension has been a notifiable item so I don't really want to spend money on it as I am ready to get a new one just as soon as it fails.

Like 0      
20 May 2013 9:12 AM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar

It's pure madness and serves two purposes only.

It gives a jobsworth something to do

It hurts the pockets of the ex-pats that they are already bleeding dry,while their mayors and politicians count our money in their Swiss and other, off-shore accounts.

Like 0      
20 May 2013 11:12 AM by raviss Star rating in St Hall (London). 121 posts Send private message

Remove the wiper blade ad arm.............job done.

Like 0      
20 May 2013 11:59 AM by Patdean Star rating. 45 posts Send private message

Raviss

Thanks for replying.

I tried removing the arm at the base but couldn't do it.  If it's left in the present upright position will it ail?

Like 0      
20 May 2013 12:09 PM by raviss Star rating in St Hall (London). 121 posts Send private message

You need to have this arm removed - you know the Spanish mind works??????????

Like 0      
20 May 2013 12:24 PM by Patdean Star rating. 45 posts Send private message

Thanks for the advise.

Like 0      
09 Jun 2013 3:46 PM by orda Star rating in Manilva Heights. 203 posts Send private message

orda´s avatar

Well, my car finally passed its ITV and Traffico have admitted their error and corrected the log book.  That has to be some sort of a milestone and it only took 7 years!

In the mean time, over that 7 years,  I've had to spend needless amounts of money on a useless lawyer, retests for ITV's that should have passed, on one occasion tyres that weren't needed, plus all the stress it has caused me and my wife.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Use solar energy in andalucia - 6 posts
APAERTMENT BLOCK STRUCTURAL MAINTENANCE - 6 posts
Length of POA - 7 posts
Advice please. - 4 posts
KIA KARNIVAL For Sale - 0 posts
Wheelchair transport - 3 posts
Looking to buy in Comares Spain - 2 posts
New Member desperately in need of help!! - 59 posts
Insurance Policy for Costa Galera Phase III found - 0 posts
Voip providers - 24 posts
New mortgage and repossession law approved - What's your view? - 4 posts
For Fans of Charlton Athletic & St Mirren - 0 posts
instant BBQ coals - 4 posts
Illegal/Non authorised Insurance companies - 11 posts
Report ilegal business in spain - 2 posts
May 2013. Is it time to buy now ? - 1 posts
Noisy Nursery in our community - 2 posts
Paying taxes online - Santander - 3 posts
Costa Blanca still tops property sales list for 2013 - 0 posts
Who would you send to Mars? - 2 posts
We are looking for Trader Administrators Assistant - 0 posts
Full text of energy certificate Decree in Spain - 4 posts
resident or non resident tax - 40 posts
What would happen if UK "bailed out" of the EU after 40 years of membership. ? - 160 posts
Subsidence cover in spanish buildings insurance - 15 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x