Spanish Inheritance Tax

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Feb 2008 6:53 PM by donmaico Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

Por favor can someone please tell me what the IHT rate is? my wife and `i are thinking about buying an appartment there . We shall have assets in the UK as well so it would also be good to know in which country we would be liable for IHT We intend to spend some time in the UK some in Spain and some just travelling around. Presumably the likes of CGT, IHT and income tax would be liable in the country of our main residence. Muchas gracias.Ustedes son muy amable

Like 0      
14 Feb 2008 7:02 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Heard of Google ? It's a wonderful "toy"

Here you are, Donmaico..

http://www.taxationweb.co.uk/taxlaw/article.php?id=18

(Course it likely is out of date )

This message was last edited by morerosado on 2/14/2008.

Like 0      
14 Feb 2008 7:45 PM by donmaico Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

I google all the time but its often much quicker to hope for a reply from someone who already knows about the subject matter and is well familiar with appropriate websites Thanks anyway. Anyway having read that link my conclusion is that not only is the Spanish system horrendously complex but unfair too. Why tax the spouse? This line particularly alarmed me : "An individual resident in Spain is liable (by way of obligación personal) to ISD on receipts by him of assets (etc) sited anywhere in the world." Assuming our assets amounted to( in n the UK and Spain), say, 800.000 Euros then the spouse would be liable to 50% of that @25% making a grand total of E80k tax .Which would be almost as much as we would have paid for the property in the first place. Its becoming more and more unattractive. Unless I am misunderstanding something

Like 0      
14 Feb 2008 8:02 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Spain is unfair in many things, why not buy in Cyprus. No IHT.  Drive on left side same as UK.

Like 0      
14 Feb 2008 8:11 PM by donmaico Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

I am thinking France now. No IHT between spouses now . Tax rates for the retired look better too, Trouble is i would have to learn le Francais, Argentina would be another option

Like 0      
14 Feb 2008 9:16 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Everyone speaks English (pretty much) in Cyprus & they do a great meze.

Ok, Donmaico, I'll say goodnight to you.

Like 0      
06 Mar 2008 12:16 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I saw this in HERE Weekly Report 08.02.08

Inheritance Tax virtually eliminated in Canarias

From this month, Inheritance Tax has virtually disappeared in the Canary Islands, due to a decision by the regional government to grant a reduction of 99.9% in the tax rate for inheritance between close relatives (parents, children, spouses and family partners). This decision brings the Canary Islands in line with most of the Regions, e.g.  Madrid, Valencia and Murcia. We shall provide further details in the chapter on Inheritance Taxes in our Tax Update 2008.

I seem to recall Maria de Castro commenting though I can't remember if it helped us much.

Like 0      
06 Mar 2008 12:32 PM by malcroach Star rating in Congleton Cheshire. 13 posts Send private message

You will find that this does not apply to non domiciled inheritors ,the only safe way is to invest the property into a UK limited Company and you eliminate the problem entirely , Maria de Castro can tell you how to do this and can introduce you to a UK company that can provide you with the full service

Like 0      
02 Apr 2008 9:27 AM by STalbot Star rating in Hale/La Cequilla Nue.... 18 posts Send private message

** EDITED - Please respect terms of posting **

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Millennium Worldwide - 5 posts
EasyJet seats for summer 2007 are now being sold - 4 posts
WANTED TO RENT - 9 posts
Daily service from Gibraltar to Madrid - 0 posts
new town plan - 2 posts
Independent - 23 posts
Driving Licences - 26 posts
Electricians - 1 posts
Transporting goods to Spain - 13 posts
Skiing in Sierra Nevada - 13 posts
Electricity & Water Charges - 46 posts
Mirador Linked Villas - Fuente de Piedra - 2 posts
Buying and running a car in Spain - 21 posts
long term car rental - 3 posts
New Photos from Daniela - 0 posts
hotels that allow dogs - 3 posts
Want to get online? - 13 posts
Friendly Forum - La Maina Urb & Costa Blanca - 1 posts
Choose your removal company wisely - 4 posts
Entertainment - 1 posts
Wood burning stove ,costa del sol - 6 posts
Completion Of Bosque de las Lomas 3 - 2 posts
Best mortgage deal ? - 45 posts
CONGRATULATIONS EYE ON SPAIN - 11 posts
Golf Invest - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 49

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x