corvera airport

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Jan 2015 4:44 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

Thank you Hugh and this is a great post and I did not even consider the impact of the high speed rail link on Spanish travel, I have used the routes to Barcelona andMadrid from Alicante and they are brillant, fast  clean and cheap with the benefit that you arruve in the centre of the City

I also knew that the income did not finance the debt for the additional runway which is coming up to a crutical date for a payment by AENA

I go back to the original point made that all the area really needs is an airport that is being actively promoted that has a decent level of flights, all year and where airlines get the SAME level of incentives to use

Today I have heard from 2 owners of properties here, one on Scotland and one in Northern Ireland who woudl love a quick break but will not pay €190 one way to fly into Alicante from Belfast and the first flights to San Javier are on the 2nd April

Is it sensible business practice not to offe flights, for the 600k passengers, who came to this area last year and had to fly to other airports, when they could have used San Javier

Like 0      
27 Jan 2015 6:18 PM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

The nearby stations in Murcia are Murcia City, Balsicas, Torre Pacheco and Cartagena at the end of the line. There's a station at Riquelme, Sucina but they don't stop.

there's 2 tracks but only one is used.

High speed trains on that line, I don't think so, and a spur to Corvera is fantasy.

and by the way, anyone visiting Cartagena should park their cars at Balsicas or Torre Pacheko. It's 2 Euros on the train.

same prices going to Murcia city....20 minutes

Like 0      
27 Jan 2015 6:34 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

They actually buld new track lines for the high speed trains as per those already in place across Elche, not use the existing infrastructure, thats whet the budgets and build time is all about

Like 0      
27 Jan 2015 8:56 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

There have been many previous articles on here re a new high speed train line from Madrid to Murcia City with possible extension to Cartagena and initially Lorca was discussed.

As far as I remember, Corvera Airport was NOT to be included which again makes no sense if a country wants an integrated transport policy, in fact why would you build an airport without modern rail links to the City and rely on local buses and new roads, again ridiculous business decision.

I believe other press articles have indeed suggested subsidies to airlines to San Javier as suggested by those responsible for San Javier.

We all remember the discussions re subsidies between Murcia and Ryanair previously.

It makes no business sense for airlines to fly to Murcia UNLESS they are offered incentives to bring in passengers as was always the case previously. That is how Murcia or whoever can best market the region.

It is down to the regional government to offer incentives to fly here NOT the airport operator, as it is the local businesses which profit.

Ergo, Murcia Regional government do not want to offer subsidies to San Javier, hence few flights as they want flights into Corvera which they currently cannot offer subsidies for.

Stalemate or chicken and egg for now.

Corvera will NOT succeed or attract airlines without offering subsidies which it can ill afford as huge loans and legal wrangles have to be repaid.

Like 1      
29 Jan 2015 7:10 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

Do we really need an International airport in the region when.

A good proportion of the regions visitors arrive by cruise ship and 

Total number of visitors to the whole region is 800,000 in a year.

http://murciatoday.com/cruise-passengers-in-cartagena-account-for-one-sixth-of-all-foreign-visitors-to-murcia_24444-a.html#.VMp2MYGkqrU

Like 0      
29 Jan 2015 7:39 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

Yes because if you also read the article there is a desire to make Cartagena a starting point for cruises, as it lends itself to this being between Costa Del Sol and Valencia

This has been suggested for a long time

Like 0      
29 Jan 2015 7:39 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

Yes because if you also read the article there is a desire to make Cartagena a starting point for cruises, as it lends itself to this being between Costa Del Sol and Valencia

Like 0      

Vip Supporter

Like 0      
29 Jan 2015 8:42 PM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

if Cartegena is a starting point and and end point for people joining a cruise ship then if they have to fly into Alicante you're talking about a 2 hour transfer time at least.

what's the time from Corvera to Cartagena anyone ?

Like 0      
29 Jan 2015 8:45 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

Longer than San Javier to Cartagena

Like 0      
29 Jan 2015 9:17 PM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

I take your point. They'd obviously need to fly in from more European destinations than St. Javier has at the moment. Mind you over 50% of cruisers are Brits but I also think most cruises are in Summer season. Didn't see any cruise ships when I was down in Cartagena in December.

Like 0      
29 Jan 2015 9:26 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

They spend Christmas in the Caribean and start in this area at Easter

Mostly either leave Valencia, Barcelona or Malaga and I have been on cruises from both

Like 0      
29 Jan 2015 9:32 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

Roy

I just love your eternal optimism, you see a positive in everything you can but shrewdly ignore some of the other facts.

Yes Cartagena would love to be a departure point and many of us wou;d welcome this, BUT (there always is a but) this could still be as far off as money for Paramount, which no one seems to mention these days.

You are still looking through rose coloured spectacles at facts such as 800000 visitors per year to the region, still less than 1% of visitors to Spain.

Plus a lack of subsidies from Murcia government for flights into San Javier to encourage more airlines.rather than Alicante where they get synergies.

Do NOT blame the airlines or AENA blame the regional governments for a very poor marketing plan, a business model that did not take into account inclusive transport, a recession which curtailed an overinflated property boom for a short period, these have a habit of ending and many regional airports around Europe now suffer from lack of flights after an initial boom.

Alicante attracts holidaymakers in their droves, as their is plenty to do nearby, the Brits love Benidorm in winter.

Sadly San Javier or even Corvera will not currently be able to offer enough for visitors to do especially in winter.

Golf resorts currently attract the expat Societies for those who live here, an increasing number of Scandinavians who tend to rent for 3 or 4 months over the winter very cheaply and are quite happy flying to Alicante and a few intrigued golfers from UK and Ireland many of whom have heard of La Manga but Polaris has faded into distant memory.

Actually, I like it because it is not heaving with visitors here.

Like 1      
29 Jan 2015 9:47 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

Hugh if you look at the AENA website, under the section of incentives, apart form any paynent made by the government, it is actually AENA who publish special deals and incentives to encourage the airlines to fly into certain airports, as I say this is information that is in the public domain and it is much lower operationally to use Alicante rather than San Javier or Almeria for example

These incentives also change depending on the grade of airport, San Javier is a much lower grade so agian suffers on everything, marketing, landing rates and this is something that AENA  have structured

Like 0      
03 Feb 2015 8:18 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

Now even Google are confused

http://murciatoday.com/google-maps-resolves-the-corvera_san-javier-airport-situation-once-and-for-all_24479-a.html#.VNEeT4aQGrU

Like 0      
05 Feb 2015 12:26 PM by windtalker Star rating. 1936 posts Send private message

The fact that the new ultra modern Corvera airport will now be opening for  business is good news for the development of the new of the new Paramount theme park.this will be good news for investors in the park as it makes the theme park a sound investment .

Like 2      
05 Feb 2015 4:27 PM by Mickyfinn Star rating in Spain and France. 1833 posts Send private message

It would be the first theme park in Europe to be a good investment if that ever happened. Most are an unmitigated disaster for investors and that includes Euro Disney, Terra Mitica, et al.

I know wishful thinking and optimism provides a feel good factor for those with a vested interest but it flies in the face of experience. If Corvera ever opens it will not make a jot of difference. Air passengers and airlines prefer Alicante Airport for so many reasons.

Like 2      
05 Feb 2015 6:53 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

Windtalker

That is precisely the problem, there are currently NO investors in a Paramount licensed theme park, other than the vested interests trying to sell it.

No money no park, do you have a spare 1/2 Bn?

Like 2      
17 Feb 2015 9:54 PM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

Going out on high then.

http://murciatoday.com/san-javier-airport-wins-prestigious-quality-award_24717-a.html#.VOOpFoaQGrU

Why not close down an award winning airport, makes complete sense. 😀

Like 0      
20 Feb 2015 10:03 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

According to an article in The Courier (today) the unions have filed papers at the European Commission over alleged fraud at Corvera regarding the funding of the project. Yet another nail in the coffin of this disasterous idea to open an unwanted PRIVATE airport just to bolster the egos of a few politicians. Nobody wanted it in the first place except a few vested interests and it will be costing the great unwashed taxpayers and their children and great grandchildren extra taxes for decades to come.

At last the unions have woken up and are the only ones doing anything to stop this madness even if it is too late for the taxpayers. The politicians should be taken to court for their underhanded ways that they have bulldozed this nonsense through about needing an additional airport in the area when there are two adequate ones whithin 1 hours drive of this waste of taxpayers money. The great unwashed public have now voted that MJV is the best airport for less that 2 million passengers per year. Why oh why does it need to be closed just because of greedy politicians wanting to make even more money for themselves!

I think I might get off the fence soon!!!!!

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Long term parking at murcia airport - 4 posts
Cartagena: Port & City. The Hidden Gem of Med? - 10 posts
Spanish bread - 4 posts
Websites for Charities - 2 posts
Changing my Driving License - 9 posts
Advice on Spanish property tax - 9 posts
Another case won by my fantastic Spanish lawyers! Thanks to EOS - 11 posts
Confusion When Buying a Bank Repossession - 5 posts
leather 3 seater sofa for sale - 0 posts
proof of payments at notary - 3 posts
Dave - 1 posts
Can you help me? - 5 posts
Tram in Murcia - 4 posts
Planning law, wooden sheds, cabins and houses - 4 posts
NEGATIVES OF LIVING IN SPAIN - 41 posts
POSITIVE'S FOR LIVING IN SPAIN - 13 posts
Im moving to spain SOON Residence in Spain how easy/hard is it to get - 23 posts
when does it get warmer in Murcia - 7 posts
Age Concern volunteer Angela Keay MBE congratulated by British Ambassador - 0 posts
CASH REGISTER AND SHOP FITTINGS FOR SALE - 2 posts
Is Spain still the best option for retirement abroad? - 86 posts
Movistar top up in the UK? - 5 posts
Rental Experience - 3 posts
Computer help - 4 posts
Fancy a laugh? Post your best joke - 16 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 181

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x