corvera airport

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Dec 2014 5:44 AM by OCPF Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

But Corvera and the Regional Government claimed 2 years ago that they were ready to receive aircraft and the truth is they simply couldn't even if they had wanted to, and did they forget IATA ? 

Now to the next problem for Corvera, IATA.

IATA are responsible for the distribution of air corridors, approaches and even the 3 letter designation for an airport.

IATA meet bi-annually. At there meeting in the USA in June 2014 they reviewed their allocation of airspace for the period November 2014 - March 2015. So assuming that their latest meeting was held in December that would probably cover allocation of airspace for the period May - September 2015.

Covera Airport may open in April 2015 as promised by the regional government, but the first aircraft is still a long way off.

Like 0      
20 Dec 2014 7:04 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

I would have thought that the primary problem is, who is going to run Corvera?  According to Murcia Today, Aeromur had until Wednesday to come up with a financial package that would give the region of Murcia a 'get out' of the €200 million, which they failed to do within the agreed deadline. In fact after the deadline they asked for more time!!! If Aeromur are now 'removed' as the company to run Corvera and it is put out to tender then it will mean another 2 to 3 months before a new company can be found. Then, as the calibration tests have been carried out by Aeromur the new company will have to do them again under its own auspices. With all other complications etc. it is unlikely that Corvera will open to receive flights before 2016 at the earliest.

Has anyone seen the report from Brussels about the financing as it should have been released on the 18th?

It is reported that auditors from Brussels have stated that MJV has also wasted taxpayers money by building the second runway etc. so the plot thickens. The auditors also stated that there is not enough traffic for one airport in the region let alone two so why was Corvera ever considered. All this claptrap about the prestige of the region having its own intercontinental airport is just an ego boost for certain individuals as most passengers could not care less which Region they land at but only that they can get to their final destination easily.

And so the saga continues

Like 0      
20 Dec 2014 11:00 AM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

It is actually far more complex than that because if the contract has to go out again to tender I am certain that Aeromor will take legal action because they are working flat out to meet all of their legal obligations including the certification and staffing levels

Then in January the way that the airspace is controlled and certified changes and comes under the control of Europe so who knows how that will work but the new operator will have to staart the process all over again

I have been told that IATA isn't a problem because if the routes are being switched then the flight plans are more easily modified, again I don't claim to be an expert

It is interesting how the comments are now coming out of Europe about the money wasted by AENA on the investment in San Javier, which of course in governent, presumably at that time due diligence was done to look at flight levels but we still only see a pathetic 2-3 flights per day scheduled up till at least Easter, even over Christmas

Alaos perhaps somebpdy should query why AENA a Alicante built terminal 2, again with loans then decided to build a brand new state of the art facility, while terminals 1 & 2 now remain empty and unused, did the new terminal create business, it certainly would have reduced operating costs

On the staffing issues why wouldn't the people be happy to received full wages, for working 2-3 hours each day and why would they want to move or change their contracts

I know that the normal statement is that the airlines decide on flights but much of the decision is actually based on operating costs and Alicante have a published incentive plan for the airlines to fly into, San Javier does not have the same scheme because it is not classified the same by AENA

This Christmas the numbers of visitors that we have, even including our property owners are down dramatically and I have been discussing this with contacts on La Torre, Condado and Hacienda Requelme,  they are all feeding back the same information, people are not visiting because there are no suitable flights and the pricing, especially from the North and Scotland, which is effecting the region, so yes people do care where they fly into, real feedback

This whole situation is a mess with no easy resolution unless some agreement can be made involving AENA and the current franchise

The fact I also agree with is that as promoted by AENA there isn't enough business for 1 operating airport in the region, let alone 2 but equally I don't believe that it is an ego boost, while one company controls evevything nothing will change or improve

Like 1      
20 Dec 2014 1:10 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

Just the latest part of the saga and as I stated earlier I expect a deal to be done to open the airport as planned

The Minister of Development, Public Works and Planning, Francisco Bernabé, the coming days will meet with representatives of Aeromur to know the detail of another financial proposal of the dealership that allows you to keep the contract from the airport. The Minister said he hopes to have before the reports of the Legal Services of the Autonomous Community of communication Wednesday. Barnabas was "delighted" to sit down to talk about what they "see fit, missing more."

He responded in this way to the letter sent to him early yesterday the CEO of the dealership, Victor Martin, asking him to convene a meeting "to give full and founded explanation of the terms and scope of the proposed" Wednesday, and as others that allow "total debt deconsolidation of the Autonomous Community as a result of the execution of the guarantee and the early commissioning of the Region of Murcia International Airport."

Like 0      
21 Dec 2014 7:17 PM by acer Star rating. 1528 posts Send private message

I used the duty free at San Javier today and curiously the checkout girl didn't ask to see my boarding card - so I asked her why not..."because your's is the only flight today" was an answer!

Whilst it's out of season you would think that there would be more travellers than normal with Xmas...but I wonder if there's enough volume to support San Javier, never mind anything else.

Like 0      
21 Dec 2014 7:29 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

There is enough volume but as explained before AENA give the airlines more financial incentives to fly into Alicante

I worked out that for almost 5 months of the year 2-3 flights, per day, use this airport and there isn't even extra flights for Christmas, flights do not start agian till the end of March and then currently at a reduced rate compared to 2014 even

I was reading an interesting article on Murcia Today in 2013 which initally announced the flight levels and then it had to be changed, because it quoted the wrong numbers, but it did make a very interesting point, When people book breaks they look to stay in a reasonable distance from the arrival airport, there view not mine. This is why I am not surprised that Christmas visitors to the region, including home owners, are dramatically down this year, no flights no visitors, but of course there is no demand

I notice on this and another forum there is a petition link to save San Javier and not open another dead airport, Covera, when will people wake up and realise that we already have a dead airport, San Javier for 5 months a year

Like 1      
23 Dec 2014 4:53 PM by spirited Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

Follow the Murcia Today thread, latest article "Corvera airport management contract to be put back out to tender", google it!

Like 0      
23 Dec 2014 5:04 PM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

23 Dec 2014 5:26 PM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

Its just the same old, same old - month after month. Let's just forget the whole crazy idea of redeveloping Murcia with its mad ideas that don't have a snowball in Hells chance of success. I found this quote on the net and thought it quite appropriate for Covera, Paramount, Hi-Speed Train, The Sports Complex, Cartagena cruise passenger facility, and all those amazing luxury urbanisations.......... that haven't even turned a sod!

If you or I fail at business, we fail. If we cheat and fail, we go to jail. But if you're rich and politically connected, your incompetence can be protected by a government bailout.

Robert Kiyosaki

Like 2      
23 Dec 2014 6:17 PM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

I don't think Corvera's going to open any time soon.

not enough passangers to make it viable.....by a long shot !

Like 0      
24 Dec 2014 11:36 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

Its now official, Aeromur have been sacked from Corvera (murciatoday, 24/12/2014). They state that Murcia will now start the bidding process for the concession to run the airport. However they have not yet drawn up the conditions required to run it. This will mean there will be a few months before the T's & C'c are thrashed out before anyone can bid. So realistically this will mean that the earliest Corvera will open is 2016.

As an ex businessman I can not see any reason as to why anyone would want to bid for it. Lets look at the facts:- 1) Murcia region demand their €200 million, now,  2) The term of the concession will be 20 years, 3) If AENA are not the successful bidder then the new concessionary will need circa €50 million to close MJV, 4) At the moment there are only approx. 1.1 million passengers using MJV and the new airport will need a minimum of 3 to4 million passengers just to break even. As the main attraction for passengers to the area is the coast why have a new airport 30 mins. drive to the coast?

I know that there are many people who are not actually on the coast but they will not make up 1 to 2 million passengers p.a. The majority of passengers are and will be holidaymakers wanting the seaside.

The future, as I see it, is that Corvera will not open this decade, MJV will just be a 'summer' airport and Alicante airport will just increase their footfall as the only airport that will be able to attract the airlines as their charges can be lower than either of the 2 Murcia airports due to volume. This will be a rhetrograde  step but business is business and neither of the Murcian airports are charities. A very sad state of affairs bought about mainly by certain individuals who wanted to make 'a quick buck, without any thought of others. Will they be bought to task for conning the taxpayers of Murcia out of €200 million? I doubt it

On that happy note I wish one and all a happy Xmas and a prosperous New Year

Like 0      
24 Dec 2014 11:54 AM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

and Feliz Navidad to everyone

Like 0      
25 Jan 2015 4:08 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

I has been a interesting and significant week in the development of the plans for the airport with 2 government sponsored announcements, the first around the creation of the fruit export group to develop logistics for fresh produce exports from Corvera

The 2nd below is claiming an agreement with AENA has been reached to close San Javier, withinn 6 months of the opening of Corvera see below from the press

On Saturday the Regional Government of Murcia met in Madrid with representatives of AENA and the Ministry of Works , where all parties agreed that Murcia's San Javier Airport would close within 6 Months of the opening of Corvera Airport.

Whilst the State-run airports operator agreed in principal, they suggested that the exact times to be subject to the approval of the appropriate technical departments.

The meeting coincided with the development of the new contract for the operation of Corvera airport, along with the annulment of the contract between the regional government and the former concession holder, Aeromur.

The meeting was attended by the region's directors of Public Works and Finance, Francisco Bernabé and Francisco Martínez Asensio, and the legal representative of the region of Murcia, Francisco Ferrer.
Secretary of State for Infrastructure and President and CEO of AENA, José Manuel Vargas also attended the meeting, which followed a previous Cabinet meeting which saw the approval of the partial privatization of the state-run Airport operator.

The decision taken to close San Javier Airport within 6 months of Corvera opening was welcomed by Murcia's President Garre, due it's importance in making the operation of Corvera more attractive to potential new Managers of the airport. Concerns were that with an existing and long-established Airport offering civilian flights within 20 Miles of Corvera, any new operator would be worried that Airlines would be reluctant to change their schedules accordingly.

Furthermore, it would be desirable for the operators of the new airport to 'inherit' the existing passenger numbers from San Javier.

Reading other press what isn't now in doublt is that AEAN are under the cosh to make San Javier with quotes of a reduction of 82% in flights and perhaps the exposure of the preferential rates offered to airlines to use Alicante, suddenly AENA are VERY INTERESTED in operating Corvera and they have guarnteed to make a bid for the contract, according to the ministers

Like 0      
25 Jan 2015 5:09 PM by Woodbug Star rating. 371 posts Send private message

Another typical Spanish carve-up at the taxpayers expense! What is the point of a deceptive tender when it's pretty obvious that a deal has already been done with AENA, to operate Corvera? Who will pay the compensation to AENA for the closure of St Javier? Who will pay the millions of Euro's due to the land-owners that is still owed? Who will underwrite the massive loan that is still outstanding? Who will pay the €millions of compensation that will be due to Aeromur? Who will pay the outstanding building loan off at St Javier?

There are two facts that are guaranteed on conclusion of this fiasco,the first is that  public will inherit the harm-slice and AENA and the usless politicians responsible for this mess, will come out smelling of greenbacks. The second? Where on earth are several million passengers required to keep this white elephant alive going to come from? There are no transport links and this airport is in the middle of nowhere with no major attractions, commerce or industry to merit a visit. ? It's a sorry financial disater now - God knows what the future will bring, if it ever opens.

Like 1      
25 Jan 2015 5:26 PM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

we'll have to wait until the forthcoming elections are over before politicians will talk sense.

Corvera will never open in my opinion

Like 0      
25 Jan 2015 8:40 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

My understanding is, based on local information and the polls, that the elections will actually help the Corvera airport

Now I am not saying that this whole process is messed up but I did make a prediction in a previous mail about the ownership and deal to be done

Now Woodbug I am sure that you have visited the airport site amd therefore I must disagree with your comments about it being in the middle of nowhere without transport links

Transport links are developed to service an airport and having an airport which is, 15 mins from the Capital of the region MURCIA, same to the 2nd biggest city Cartagena, 20 minutes from the coast, 30 minutes to Mazzoron area,  and on the A30 AP7 link to Almeria, Granada and onwards to other areas

Great links of course for the easy transport of freight and plenty of available land to build on

Corvera actually isn't really in the middle of nowhere, especially when we already have regular bus links in the area going into both cities and taxis, more already than San Javier and every city based international airport I have used including Paris, Amsterdam, Stansted, Gatwick, Stcokholm tends to be on the outskirts of the City, centrall serving the area, even Alicante

I have just spent 2 days on business in Aguilas and Vera, where there are hundreds on holidays homes and do you know what the biggest complaints was, no flights into Almeria, where are they being forced to fly to, Alicante, travelling time on a motorway from Corvera,less than 1 hour 

It is a pity that a minority of people only ever look at the more local implecations when there is a much bigger political situation being played out here

Like 1      
25 Jan 2015 8:44 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

Repeated sorry

This message was last edited by inspectahomespain on 25/01/2015.

Like 0      
25 Jan 2015 9:00 PM by johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

doubt if many people flying into Murcia will be destined for Murcia city. Most will be heading for the coast. St. Javier is already on the coast and nearer Mazzaron and La Manga than Corvera. It'a also nearer Cartagena, straight down the AP7.

It's also nearer La Zenia and Torreviecha and anyone using MJV for those 2 destinations will go to Alicante and not to Corvera.

Corvera is actually in the middle of nowhere and it's only advantage as far as I can see is the railway station at Balsicas

Like 1      
25 Jan 2015 9:20 PM by inspectahomespain Star rating in Orihuela Costa, Spai.... 2417 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

Actually John you are wrong on a number of counts

Corvera to Mazzaron is 12Km less from Corvera

Corvera to La Manga 18Km more

Corvera to Cartagena 30Km, straight down A30

San Javier to Cartagena 26Km

Corvera to Almeria COAST VERA 26km than San Javier  less Coast with holiday homes

Corvera to La Zenia 50Km

San Javier to La Zenia 23Km

Alicante Airport  to La Zenia Boulivard 69Km ( further away than Corvera)

So as people claim that if they are staying in Playa Flamenca that they will use Alicante they will therefore be paying more for transport so why would they use Alicante of there are cheaper flights into Corvera

Like 0      
25 Jan 2015 10:05 PM by aliton Star rating. 331 posts Send private message

Its all linked to the wider picture "selling the opportunities that Paramount Park will bring" to potencial investors.. They estimate over 3/6 million extra visitors and most of them will be flying in on package deals to visit the park.  Think about it  .... Roads done, Airport done, Park .... still at the starting blocks... Horrible expression buta typical no brainer.

Fomer member revisiting r.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Long term parking at murcia airport - 4 posts
Cartagena: Port & City. The Hidden Gem of Med? - 10 posts
Spanish bread - 4 posts
Websites for Charities - 2 posts
Changing my Driving License - 9 posts
Advice on Spanish property tax - 9 posts
Another case won by my fantastic Spanish lawyers! Thanks to EOS - 11 posts
Confusion When Buying a Bank Repossession - 5 posts
leather 3 seater sofa for sale - 0 posts
proof of payments at notary - 3 posts
Dave - 1 posts
Can you help me? - 5 posts
Tram in Murcia - 4 posts
Planning law, wooden sheds, cabins and houses - 4 posts
NEGATIVES OF LIVING IN SPAIN - 41 posts
POSITIVE'S FOR LIVING IN SPAIN - 13 posts
Im moving to spain SOON Residence in Spain how easy/hard is it to get - 23 posts
when does it get warmer in Murcia - 7 posts
Age Concern volunteer Angela Keay MBE congratulated by British Ambassador - 0 posts
CASH REGISTER AND SHOP FITTINGS FOR SALE - 2 posts
Is Spain still the best option for retirement abroad? - 86 posts
Movistar top up in the UK? - 5 posts
Rental Experience - 3 posts
Computer help - 4 posts
Fancy a laugh? Post your best joke - 16 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 181

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x