Minimum Value Letter Received Today - Any Advice?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Feb 2013 12:54 PM by Mungry Star rating. 329 posts Send private message

so i was way off there

"But looking at the house problems in Spain and it seems to me (perhaps it's only me) but the many that don't sell are high rise apartments or in not so nice positions,"

not always

but pretty frequently and the majority.

seafront propertys dont hang about on the market for long or come into the reposessions market because they are desirabale and rentable for really good prices which cover the mortgage just from a few summer months.

there is a ton of `golf` propertys or second rate ones not by the sea that just dont shift.

so based on my limited decade of knowledge of the housing market in spain.
Always buy seafront if you ever want to rent it out or sell it.

i coldnt stay away from you miserable whining whingers for some reason

Like 0      
01 Feb 2013 1:42 PM by baz1946 Star rating. 2327 posts Send private message

Funny you mention golf properties because one we looked at was right on the edge of a golf course, we don't play golf, but the house was smashing, and the agent and builder knew it, but their was nothing around it, no shops, little transport, out of the way, inland a bit, the price was fixed to the fact that it was on top of the course, which if the course went bust you live next to a field, and now having had a nose around last November many were neglected and empty with sale signs up, which is a shame because i suspect that many may have lost a packet, might just have been the one section / area though.

It's hard to give advice to folk over buying houses in Spain because like i said about the people who bought the top floor apartment, the same folk i bet back home you wouldn't get them into a tower block for love nor money.

But dont the builders posters look good about the apartments he will build......shame he took your money and forget to build them.  

Like 0      
02 Feb 2013 11:47 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Excellent last few posts, and agree with everything you both say. 

Going back to the issue of the tax department imposing extra tax on property purchases where they believe the sale (declared) price was too low, and whether or not to fight it  (apparently ths situation is affecting a lot of bank repos that are flogged off at rock bottom prices) -

If what Bobaol says is true, about simply making an extra trip to the notary to clarify things, then fair enough, but I wonder why nobody has actually taken the govt. to court over this yet? It is surely totally illegal. Transfer tax is set by law at 8% of the sale price. How can the tax dept. then just say they are going to charge more tax based on a hunch? This is exactly the same as if you bought a sweater half price in the sales, and the tax dept. then write to you demanding the VAT on the other half you didn't pay. Nobody would accept that, so why with property? 

If they want to levy tax based on an assumed market value calculated at 2.5x valor catastral, then they should be honest about it. Instead of 8% of the sale price, why not simply charge 20% of the valor catastral? Then everyone would know exactly where they stand, because the VC is down in black and white and not subject to market forces, which this dictatorship of a govt. seems determined not to recognise. For example, increasing IVA on new builds to 10%  . Perfect way to put the final nail in the coffin of a defunct property market. 

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
02 Feb 2013 12:19 PM by lobin Star rating. 256 posts Send private message

Hi, Roberto.

You say that Transfer Tax is set by Law at 8% of the sale price.  This is not correct.  Transfer Tax is set by Law at 8% of the "real value" of the property.  There is no legal definition of real value but the generally accepted principle is that it is close to market value.

Due to the fact that traditionally quite a number of property transfers were underdeclared, the tax authorities came up with a list of criteria for determining real value that was applied for many years with no major problems because quite often the resulting "real value" was still under the real price paid for the property or very close to it.

The problem now is that with the declining values of properties in Spain, the criteria used by the tax authorities have become obsolete.  Naturally, the re-valuation assessments being sent to purchasers can be challenged first before the authorities and before the courts but the latter can be costly, is time consuming and often purchasers just don't bother because there is no guaranteed success even after all the cost and hassle.   

Quite possibly if the underreporting of purchase prices were to disappear, the Transfer Tax could then be set at 8% of the sale price but until that happens, I am afraid situations like this will come up every day and purchasers need to decide whether they have enough good evidence to show that the price they paid is the real value of the property at the time of purchase or else pay the additional assessment and get on with life.  In the situation described in this thread, I would certainly pay the assessment and enjoy my holidays.

Like 0      
02 Feb 2013 2:06 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Learn something new every day! I've bought 7 properties over the years, and never paid transfer tax based on any figure other than the sale price as recorded on the escritura. It's only relatively recently that I've heard of Hacienda placing a different value on sales.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
02 Feb 2013 3:49 PM by Johnmcmahon Star rating. 335 posts Send private message

I read elsewhere about these valuations that were using buying prices out of date and higher. I also read that the majority of appeals were successfull, but there was a short window in which to appeal

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

how to post our website info here ? - 2 posts
Buying in Estepona - 16 posts
Am I being thick ? Help with Blog please ! - 4 posts
coin operated electricity meters in Mallorca ? - 2 posts
Towns inland an hour from Malaga ideas please! - 1 posts
so confused about healthcare & prescriptions for non-pensioners - 28 posts
San Jose/HDT court action/Guadalupe - 4 posts
Improvement for the reception of UK Sky channels in Spain - 5 posts
proxy vote's - 4 posts
euros - 8 posts
Estate agents in El Campello - 0 posts
Legal tip 894. Creative legal solutions for property in Spain - 0 posts
assetts outside spain - 2 posts
IVA and Bank Guarantee Refunds - 3 posts
Mobilehome park in doñana huelva - 0 posts
Experienced Advice - 1 posts
Do i realy nead a solicitor, when selling - 16 posts
Dation and balance VII. Out of Court sales-auctions - 0 posts
Finally Moving to Spain - 9 posts
Prescription charges - 3 posts
Bank sales, repossessions. - 4 posts
TomTom Start 60 with free lifetime maps - 3 posts
20% Discount Calais-Dover book before 31 Jan - 0 posts
Claim against Bank for return of Deposit when FOL issued - 1 posts
What's going on in the blogs? - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 26

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x