Astra 2F - change over from 1N - Initial transponder list

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Dec 2012 9:26 AM by K 5ive Star rating in Cambrils. 116 posts Send private message

Really? I would have thought that a 1.5 metre dish would work oK being up towards the top of spain. It all seems a bit random what with people much further down than me receiving things ok.

Like 0      
06 Dec 2012 9:31 AM by K 5ive Star rating in Cambrils. 116 posts Send private message

BTW to save getting ripped off by the local guy, do you you know what size dish would be the best now  for here?

Thanks.

This message was last edited by K 5ive on 06/12/2012.

Like 0      
06 Dec 2012 9:32 AM by televisiontechnology Star rating in Costa Blanca South. 165 posts Send private message

It's to do with the shape of the footprint - where we are 1.10 metre dish o,k, further North, 85-90cm, further south 1.4, further still following the coast  2 metres and over. There are also a few blackspots appearing. 

www.televisiontechnology.eu - Satellite TV, network telecomms, IPTV & community support.

www.facebook.com/televisiontechnology

Like 0      
06 Dec 2012 9:41 AM by K 5ive Star rating in Cambrils. 116 posts Send private message

Hello again, are you saying within your last post that 2 metres will be fine? I need to investigate finding one now so any any help will be greatfully received.

BTW thinking back it could only be a 1.2 metre dish because I remember thinking at the time that it was a bit small after reading loads of things on here about the sizes needed. However for 3 years it has been fine.

This message was last edited by K 5ive on 06/12/2012.

Like 0      
06 Dec 2012 10:33 AM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Hi TVtech - my box certainly didn't ask me for a UK postcode! It's a Spanish box, bought in Spain, designed for receiving FTA services. When I first connected it, there was a massive list of satellites and it asked me which one I wanted, I had no idea so just picked the first one which I vaguely remember might have been Astra 1 or something similar.

I'll see what channels I'm picking up when I get home on Sunday, and see whether I can live with what's left plus my Spanish tv in the other room.

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
06 Dec 2012 10:45 AM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

tamaraessex: it was not tvt - it was me.

my post was based on the fact you said you had a freesat box - which are designed for the uk, and konw what satellite they require, and only ask you for a post code.

I also said that if you mean "free to air" box - which is different to a "freesat box" then those ask you for which satellite you want to use.

No matter which box you have, you should not have to change anything on the box. IF you cannot receiev the signals, it will be down to very poor dish alignment, or the fact your dish is now too small to receive these chanenls on the new satellite.

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
06 Dec 2012 10:50 AM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

k5ive: inthe last few days i have had a number of calls from people between barcalona and castillion that are having problems with these channels now they have moved satellites.

in barcalona, channels that were available on 80cm dishes are now not available. In castilion, a 1.25m dish is no longer receiving these channels. but just north of valencia, a 1m dish gets them fine. So as TVT says, there are some severe signal variations, and it looks like that are is some sort of blackspot. At the moment, I have seen no reports of what sized dish is required in these areas for a stanble signal. ANd then it may all change again when the bbc itv and c4s move - whenever that may be!

It may also be useful to know the exact dish size - dishes have been sold using all sorts of measurements - a 1.25m dish being sold as a 1.4m dish. Propper dish measurements are done horizontally across the face of the dish, not including the outer rim.

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
06 Dec 2012 10:57 AM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar
Ok cheers Sat&PG Guy :-)

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
06 Dec 2012 12:45 PM by K 5ive Star rating in Cambrils. 116 posts Send private message

So satandpcguy, are you saying it's best to wait and how long is it best to wait for? They could have done it sooner what with Xmas TV schedules coming up lol. I don't often watch 5 etc but I don't want to lose them altogehter. I will get up on the roof and measure the dish for sure.

Thanks.

Like 0      
06 Dec 2012 1:37 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

So satandpcguy, are you saying it's best to wait and how long is it best to wait for?

Perhaps best to wait to see what reception and what sized dish you require for when the BBC and ITV move - if they are the channels you most want to receive. It may need the same sized dish as for C5, or you may need larger - who knows...

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
06 Dec 2012 4:36 PM by televisiontechnology Star rating in Costa Blanca South. 165 posts Send private message

BBC1 HD 2F test transmission on 11024H may be more representative than initially realised as this is broadcast in 8psk which requires a stronger signal to receive than DVB-s. This may prove to be a better reference testing point than the 5's or other unchanged frequencies. Probability is that as 8psk is DVBs-2 (HD) and the 8psk carrier allows greater bandwidth compression - more channels for the broadcasters, that this may be what the new satellite channels will be using (certainly more so if not completely). Also the FEC (Forward error correction) setting 2/3 - 5/6 etc can also make a difference to reception.

As for change overs - into the realms of speculation.

Presently there are no further releases regarding the frequency changes. Astras last facebook statement, ended with 'concludes migration from 1N to 2F' ? What does that mean? 

It is generally accepted that 2-3 weeks before xmas they lock down any major changes, this has been stated on a few forums and seems to be the 'usual' way. Still no guarantee.

If the above is true, then it would point to after new year, if so when? However it has also been mentioned that they could wait until scheduled Q2 - 2013 for the other new satellite Astra 2E. Again purely conjecture. Or even after 2G in Q1 - 2014.  It is quite probable that as these are same generation satellites, that footprints will be similar, which could be good or bad - depending on your current reception / dish situation.

www.televisiontechnology.eu - Satellite TV, network telecomms, IPTV & community support.

www.facebook.com/televisiontechnology

Like 0      
06 Dec 2012 5:04 PM by crisco Star rating. 14 posts Send private message

Channel 4 is a UK Broadcaster and as such, we only have the rights to broadcast our channels in the UK and some of our digital channels in the Republic of Ireland. If you have been receiving our channels outside of these areas, then you have been receiving what is called 'gratuitous reception'. As we purchase the rights to show programmes within this geographic area only, it has been necessary to tighten our broadcast footprint which would be why you can no longer receive our channels.

Regards,

Sandra Carter
Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Orange Gas Bottle = Mijas Costa - 3 posts
Recovery of costs - 3 posts
Spanish Title Deeds Insurance - 3 posts
Help? - 2 posts
licences and taxes for growing veg on own land - 0 posts
80% OF ALL JOBS ARE NOT ADVERTISED IN SPAIN - 1 posts
Watching UK TV in Spain - 41 posts
Couching - 0 posts
Cats on Complex - 2 posts
Free Language Exchange Anyone? - 0 posts
Capital Gains tax - 0 posts
agm agenda - 4 posts
EX18 Form - 0 posts
Endesagas - 0 posts
Visiting the UK - 18 posts
Pramount update - 3 posts
Contact lenses Quesada? - 2 posts
Anyone know a good gestor in Motril/Salobreña? - 0 posts
recargo 20% disuasorio - 0 posts
First name and surname - 3 posts
A spot of poetry? - 1 posts
Return of deposit - 2 posts
Internet La Vereda - 0 posts
Has the band bank stopped my sale? - 3 posts
Kindle in Spain - 13 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 32

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x