Lighthearted thread about Bloopers in Spanish!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
29 Sep 2012 11:22 PM by richard ansley Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Recently, when the temperature was around 40 degrees, I happened to say to the wife of the bar owner "esta muy caliente" which, in fact means that I find you hot ( an invitation for an intimate relationship ). What I should have said was " mucho calor". - it is hot !

Like 0      
29 Sep 2012 11:23 PM by jane b Star rating in Bedar, Almeria. 222 posts Send private message

jane b´s avatar

Just  in case it happens again, Richard, what you actually need to say is 'hace mucho calor'  - it makes a lot of heat.  May not sound logical to us but that is the way they say it!

www.fincalaserenidad.com

Like 0      
30 Sep 2012 12:57 AM by Finisterre Star rating. 26 posts Send private message

"He came in a bottle" - that is fantastic! Proper LOL.

I've done a ton of these, and have fallen foul of the 'caliente' one in various ways ("Yes, I need a bedspread instead of this funda nordica because my husband and I are getting really caliente at night...") but my worst one of all was in an English class - a one-to-one, thank god.

The textbook contained an account by an Englishwoman in Mongolia of the time she drank mare's milk. The student seemed incredulous and I thought he just thought it was odd that people drank horse's milk, so I assured him that I, too, had drunk horse's milk when I went to Mongolia. Unfortunately, 'leche de caballo' means a rather less commonly drunk substance, produced by male horses. He fell about, and I died a thousand deaths when I realised what I'd said.

And in one of my reports on my students I claimed that Student P, who makes mistakes by trying to speak too fast, 'corre muy rapido'. I had meant to say 'he goes too quick', but had actually said the opposite. Yes, that. Thank god my Spanish boss reads the reports before they're sent on to the very conservative, respectable company where Student P works.

(By the way, I don't go around intentionally spouting double entendres, it's just those are the most embarrassing ones so those are the ones I remember of all my thousands of mistakes!)

Like 0      
30 Sep 2012 12:01 PM by migueldelnorte Star rating in Rias Baixas, A Coruñ.... 5 posts Send private message

Here's another one with the potential for much embassment. In English we use a preservative to keep our food safe from deterioration. Just don't try the habitual trick of putting an "o" on the end of this one to try to translate it, as mention a "preservativo" and you'll be talking about  a "condom".

Not the sort of thing you want in your food nor to talk about to your son's spanish girlfriend, as happened to me one horrible mealtime when we were discussing food. Even for normally fluent spanish speakers, this can sometimes happen if you are not thinking clearly. To prevent any awkward moments, remember to use "conservativos" in your food!

Like 0      
01 Oct 2012 1:13 PM by susiemstead Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

This is the delightful invitation I got to my first over 60s dinner.

Iznates Town Hall in gratefulness to the Major Persons, takes pleasure in inviting to "Lunch of Major Persons" that will take place in La Loma the next Wednesday, the 21st of December to the 14.00 hours

The bus will go out fron La Puerta La Martina to the 13.30 hours.

We beg confirm assistance in the Town Hall.We wish them of any heart a Happy Christmas.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Language related jobs? - 0 posts
Licence/permit to rent a property for holiday lets - 2 posts
obtaining insurance details - 1 posts
Thinking about moving to Salobrena for winters initially - 1 posts
Seeking to rent a room with en suite in Gibraltar - 0 posts
Car hire Murcia at Easter 2013 - 8 posts
PROPERTIES IN CARTAGENA and MURCIA - 0 posts
car hire alicante - 0 posts
I'm looking for a sailboat up to 30000€ to part exchange with a house in Azores, Santa Maria Island - 0 posts
How many days outside of Spain (with residency card)? - 0 posts
Reasonable behaviour? - 18 posts
SCAM E-MAILS - 10 posts
Kia cars - 4 posts
let's slate Monarch too! - 13 posts
A place in the Sun, live! - 1 posts
Has the ECB gone too far and will it be fair with Spain? - 7 posts
Living in Madrid on 1200 E - 2 posts
Moving to alicante - 0 posts
WARNING TO ALL - 31 posts
Interview with the planning councillor of Orihuela. - 0 posts
Can't get residencia status. - 19 posts
changing endesa electricity bill from company name to personal name - 5 posts
Wealth Tax to stay - 0 posts
Those who like to say, 'Rip Off Spain' - 0 posts
Looking for kids for fashionshoot in Almeria - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 45

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x