What is going on with Ryanair in Spain?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Sep 2012 1:18 PM by tamaraessex Star rating in Colmenar, Malaga. 508 posts Send private message

tamaraessex´s avatar

Gerry that's not a bad price for your October flights, but I can beat them (from Bournemouth to Malaga though).  I book around 5 months ahead usually, and my October trip with all taxes, fees, check-in costs etc was under £50 return.

Booking well ahead they're cheap.  But of course they stop flying Bournemouth to Malaga November till March :-(  So I have to use EasyJet from Bristol - more expensive.

Blog about settling into a village house in the Axarquía. http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/tamara.aspx

Like 0      
20 Sep 2012 6:54 PM by Abyss_Rover Star rating in Mallorca. 72 posts Send private message

Talking about running out of fuel, in your car, in Spain. Did you know this is a criminal offence?

www.finditfme.com The new, advanced way to find what you are looking for.

Like 0      
21 Sep 2012 1:43 PM by geofb Star rating. 19 posts Send private message

Although I am not a great lover of Michael O' Leary , I see in the press today , that his planes had plenty of fuel on their emergency landings, 1 ton has been told, so he did not put any one in jepordy, and yes I would fly any time with Ryanair.

Like 0      
21 Sep 2012 3:15 PM by haydngj Star rating in ALGORFA. 403 posts Send private message

haydngj´s avatar

It's M O'hell's way of jumping the queue to land and do his 30mins turnaround

Like 0      
21 Sep 2012 3:19 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

21 Sep 2012 4:13 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

Wow Tamara, that price is excellent, well done, but are the flights cheaper from Malaga to England return than from England to Malaga return?

I know that booking in Thailand to England return is stacks cheaper.

Like 0      
21 Sep 2012 4:15 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

I have used Ryanaire twice with no trouble at all, I can't slag them off, take as you find - that is very good!

Like 0      
21 Sep 2012 5:12 PM by mac75 Star rating in Valencia. 414 posts Send private message

mac75´s avatar

UPDATE !!!!

Ryanair has been ordered to 'review' fuel policy after making THREE emergency landings because planes almost ran out fuel......

http://www.eyeonspain.com/blogs/SpanishBusinessNews/7741/ryanair-ordered-to-review-fuel-policy-after-making-three-emergency-landings-because-planes-almost-ran-out.aspx

There is clearly something wrong, as long as you don't have to divert you're probable ok, but if you need to divert for what ever reason, start praying!!

A donde el corazón se inclina, el pie camina.

Like 0      
21 Sep 2012 6:21 PM by BrianLA Star rating in Nottingham/Los Alcaz.... 16 posts Send private message

Or, put another way, the report says that all 3 Ryanair planes; 

1.      carried fuel in excess of flight plan fuel requirements
2.      diverted to Valencia with more than final diversion fuel
3.      correctly declared emergency procedure in accordance with EU Ops regulations

Which sounds to me like the "total vindication" of Ryanair by the IAA described by Murcia Today rather than the more lurid anti-Ryanair spin placed on the report by certain sections of the British press.

As a Ryanair customer I still have confidence in their safety record and they have a modern fleet which appears to be as well maintained as any in the industry.

I know some people are keen for Ryanair to be given a kicking, but their model of low cost, punctual flights is largely what persuaded many of us to buy in Spain, and what continues to make travel to Spain affordable. If they left the Spanish market I reckon prices across the board would rise. Who would be the losers then? Not Michael O'Leary, I can assure you, but ordinary punters like us.

Like 0      
21 Sep 2012 6:52 PM by ads Star rating. 4125 posts Send private message

Today- a problem with a Monarch flight from Nice to Birmingham.

BMI baby used to operate the route but just stopped trading. Monarch took over that route - seems like they weren't ready as it's a  rented Lithuanian 737 of some vintage and maybe dodgy pilot???? (only surmise I hasten to add!)

Phttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2206672/Terrified-tourists-evacuated-plane-overshot-runway-skidded-grass-Birmingham-Airport.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Many questions need to be asked re who are monitoring and ensuring passenger safety is not  being compromised by cost cutting airlines.....

Like 0      
22 Sep 2012 1:00 AM by aly not in spain Star rating in Not far from Torre. 74 posts Send private message

Yes, the very same Lithuanian plane that I referred to in my previous post! I have been trying to find out what routes it is being used on out of Birmingham, as I fly with them next week. (It is a troublesome plane - google 'Monarch 50 hour delay').

A friend seems to think that after today's incident, Monarch have cancelled the contract with Aurela, but I'm waiting for confirmation on that. Monarch have been sending emails to passengers about 2 days before the flights, if they are using a different carrier. So far, besides the Lithuanian company, I know of Bulgarian and Italian planes being used, to cover the expansion of flights they have taken on.

So yes, at least Ryanair have a modern fleet, and as BrianLA's  post shows, they are operating to safety guidelines, so as I said before, it just seems to be an unlucky patch they are going through.

This message was last edited by aly not in spain on 22/09/2012.

Like 0      
22 Sep 2012 4:57 AM by Citibox Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

I booked a Ryanair flight Sevilla to Marrakech on the 14th December for my Wife's "significant" birthday on the following day.  They changed their flight schedule so now we have to travel on 15th which is going to wreck her birthday plus we have had to change hotel and car hire and parking bookings.  Not impressed!

Like 0      
22 Sep 2012 8:00 AM by kernaghan Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

We used Ryan Air on a few ocassions when Easyjet cancelled our flight 1 month before we were due to fly back to Australia.

They did the job without any hickups would use them again, I am sure the crew would not be risking their lives daily.

Like 0      
22 Sep 2012 9:30 AM by leytonette Star rating. 10 posts Send private message

Well, actually I haven't read anything about this but I am completely fed up with Ryanair - what starts out being a cheap flight does not necessarily end up that way with all their add-ons, luggage restrictions etc.  Admittedly I haven't had any problems with being diverted or delayed so I guess they're pretty good from that point of view.  However, when I fly back to England in October will be flying with Easyjet to Southend.  Their weight restriction is not as little as Ryanair, who won't even allow the smallest handbag in addition to one holdall or suitcase, which is quite ridiculous.  We ladies need to have our purses to hand and not have to rummage around in a case before putting it in the hold compartment - even if you could find room in one!  Yes, I guess I have become a grumpy old woman!!

Like 0      
22 Sep 2012 9:37 AM by in_the_sun Star rating in Riveria Del Sol. 34 posts Send private message

just want to put my oar in on this , 

Ryanair would be closed down over night if they was breaking any aviation safty laws ! 

Every airline that is based inside europe has to abide by the same laws , 

As for fuel the guide lines will state they have to have a certain amount of flying time for each flight in reserve fuel , and Ryanair along with every other airline decide where to buy fuel from and when , as it can save thousands of pounds to buy from malaga over luton , depends on the pound and also the airport and the loading company . I used to work for flybe in the maintance department and it was common practice to run just above the minimum fuel allowed ! 

Unless you fly by blue chip companys the chances are that the plane could be leased from another company or purchased from a third world company , flybe purchased several from a thia based airline ( and when they had to have millions spent on them even before they could fly in europe gives you an idea on the quality of maintance in thialand ! Even british airways leases some of there routes out to sub carriers who fly british airways colors but say there own company name outside near the cabin , Ryan air as far as i am aware fly the most upto datefleet  planes from all the budget airlines and even put some major airlines to shame !  

Ryanair always get a bad press in some papers , same as easyjet do in others and BA in other papers or tv channels , its called politics , and you have to rememeber shock or bad news always sells ! (example in sur in english this week there was a headline of "dog bites girls face off " then stated a dog had attatcked a girl and woundered her face and surgeons took several hours to repair them , its not the same as the headline ,it is bad enough the facts but the headline is not correct) when do you ever see the press say "well done ryan air 60% of flights arrive early ! " or well done easyjet on great customer care! or well done monarch for keeping the loss making routes going ! YOU NEVER DO !

If some people knew of some of the "common" incidents even the largest airlines have you would think twice about putting the budget airlines through the mill ! 

end of rant ;-)

Like 0      
22 Sep 2012 9:40 AM by steone Star rating in Santiago de la Riber.... 383 posts Send private message

As stated earlier the 3 flights that were the reason for the 'emergency' were en-route to Madrid for a sheduled 2 to 2.5 hour flight. They then circled Madrid but were diverted to Valencia. After circling Valencia for between 60 and 90 minutes they radioed Valencia that their fuel was getting low. NOT that they were out of fuel but just approaching the low level. Now if we look at the facts you have a 2 hour flight that has now been in the air for nearly 4 hours and still has fuel on board but approaching its safety low level. So to extrapolate this the Spaniards are demanding that planes that fly over Spain need to have enough fuel on board to be able to do a return flight without landing!!! What tosh and blatenly anti Ryanair. I am glad to see the the appropriate investigation has found that not only did these flights not ask for EMERGENCY landing because of low fuel but had far more than the prescribed minimum on board when they took off. Once again its the Spanish Press trying to discredit Ryanair. Methinks that this is all to do with sour grapes from the Spanards over the debacle at Alicante recently where they had to do a humungous climb down over their spat with Ryanair.

Like them or hate them Ryanair have opened up the airways so that the likes of everyone here can fly back to the U.K. much cheaper than they could 10 years ago. You don't have to fly with them to benefit from their low fares as all the other airlines have reduced their charges to try and attract the Ryanair passenger. More power to your elbow Mr. O'Leary.

Like 0      
22 Sep 2012 9:48 AM by MarilynVA Star rating in Quesada. 4 posts Send private message

I have read with interest all the replies re Ryanair, and agree with most, apart from the comparison in price with other airlines. After reading I did a comparison with Ryanair and Monarch, same dates and came up with Ryanair €69.98 or Monarch at €126.77. As far as I'm concerned that difference is on its way to another flight back to UK to see my family, so keep up the good work Ryanair. I admit there was an admin charge of €12 added but I'm certain there would have been an admin charge added to the Monarch flight also.

Like 0      
22 Sep 2012 9:50 AM by MarilynVA Star rating in Quesada. 4 posts Send private message

I have read with interest all the replies re Ryanair, and agree with most, apart from the comparison in price with other airlines. After reading I did a comparison with Ryanair and Monarch, same dates and came up with Ryanair €69.98 or Monarch at €126.77. As far as I'm concerned that difference is on its way to another flight back to UK to see my family, so keep up the good work Ryanair. I admit there was an admin charge of €12 added but I'm certain there would have been an admin charge added to the Monarch flight also.

Like 0      
22 Sep 2012 10:21 AM by Citibox Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

I agree they are cheap on the headline rate but then there is €40 each return for a 15kg suitcase or €60 for a 20kg suitcase plus on-line check-in charge and credit card charge (there is no other possible way of booking and paying unless you do it at the airport which costs much more) so it just seems to me so dishonest.  Why not offer the full fare, with suitcase or without and have all the extras included.  Added to this the aeroplanes are uncomfortable, the seats don't recline, the staff are rude at best and then there is their schedule - they deliberately overstate the transit time so that they can arrive "early" and play a horrible bugle call.  If they cancel a flight for operational reasons, they do not pay for passengers' overnight expenses and they underman the check-in desks so the queues are horrendous.  The food and drinks are foul and overpriced.  Having said that, if there is no other way of getting from point to point on an airline, and I would fly a full cost one if I could, they do operate some convenient routes. 

As a former PPL holder let's look at the fuel issue.  There is no way that Ryanair would willingly carry around an extra couple of tonnes of spare fuel, this would just increase their operating costs.  Therefore the extra fuel is a prudent safety measure enabling the aircraft to divert or return without endangering the lives of passengers or crew and is possibly a legal requirement.  At any rate, it is the one thing I would not complain about.  Far too many small aircraft have to make emergency landings in some field due to running out of fuel, indeed it is part of the training to be able to do so.  But a 737 cannot safely land in a field so I feel much happier that they are able to get me to a runway with fire trucks and a foam blanket - why should anyone complain about safety measures?

Like 0      
22 Sep 2012 2:28 PM by sdoyle Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

This is simply the Spanish aviation authority not happy with the fact that a "foreign" airline which has become a major airline in the country. The mayday calls for fuel emergencies were standard procedures for this event. At no time were they about to run out of fuel and looked for clearance from air traffic control to be put to them to the top of the queue for landing. A pilot friend who works for a rival airline to Ryanair has told me of a bias for Spanish airlines ahead of non Spanish airlines by ATC . Some months ago an Aer Lingus flight into Barcelona had to declare a fuel emergency Into Barcelona after ATC wouldn't clear them in for landing. The Spanish visited the Irish aviation authority during the week to discuss the standards that Ryanair (and all Irish registered aircraft) have to adhere to and were left with no doubt that Ryanair and its 300 aircraft are regulated to the highest European standards. The fact the pilots called these maydays is the right thing to do and I'd be more worried concerning the incidents we never hear of.

It is interesting to note the amount of fuel emergency calls that seem to occur in spain and not just by Ryanair. I think the Spanish authorities have more to answer for that just Ryanair.

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

CAR INSURANCE SPAIN LINEA DIRECT - 39 posts
Agent advice - 2 posts
Should the UK have adopted the EURO ? - 1 posts
Costaluz Lawyers - 1 posts
Renault Megan RX4 - 0 posts
Should my wife get medical cover based on my Social Security or her UK pension - 5 posts
Flat in Marbella! - 1 posts
Furnitire for sale, Costa del Sol - 0 posts
The new 3 month rule for registering - 5 posts
Planning application in spain - 5 posts
New Passport Procedures - 17 posts
Gas Inspection? - 7 posts
Presidents of communities - 11 posts
Pets and their control - 0 posts
IVA Increase in Spain - 12 posts
Weather forecasts on this site - 1 posts
Winter Fuel Allowance, claim before 21.9.12 - 20 posts
Ideas for nice towns between Malaga and Salobrena? - 3 posts
RHD in Spain - where do I get one - 5 posts
RHD for LHD Car - 2 posts
Long Term Let on Private Property (Landlords point of view) - 0 posts
Torrenueva, La Cala de Mijas, Malaga - 2 posts
Opel Meriva 1.7 TDi Diesel for Sale - 1 posts
greedy wife stealing inheritance from children - 0 posts
Paying tax - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 49

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x