The new 3 month rule for registering

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Sep 2012 5:18 PM by knj Star rating in Costa Blanca. 79 posts Send private message

Is the rule for 3 consecutive months or cumulative throughout the year?  Say I come for 2 months April & May & 2 months September & October do I have to register?  How can they check this?.

Like 0      
16 Sep 2012 5:35 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

It’s not new, it was introduced April 2007.

That said, it is PERMANENTLY in Spain for 3 months, or a total of 183 days in a year.  

So in your case 2 months  twice.    

No need, right to register.

Like 0      
17 Sep 2012 8:21 AM by 66d35 Star rating. 243 posts Send private message

That said, it is PERMANENTLY in Spain for 3 months, or a total of 183 days in a year. 

Will you please provide a supporting reference for your claim (above) that there is a need to register if a "total of 183 days in a year" is achieved?

There is no such requirement in 38/2004.

There is no such requirement in Royal Decree 240/2007.

Where exactly did you get this idea from?

European Law on this topic is very clear. The period is question may be "not less than 90 days" and such periods are independent and consecutive. There is no cumulative element. It would be unlawful and would violate the Directive.

The only part 183 days plays anywhere relates to "fiscal residence" which is an entirely different topic.

Like 0      
17 Sep 2012 9:05 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Apologies KNJ,

I should have added (as 66D knows only too well, but wanted yet again to raise his one man campaign against the EU Registration rule, which he has rehearsed in so many posts)  that if one stays the 183 days then they become TAX RESIDENT

Like 0      
17 Sep 2012 9:29 AM by 66d35 Star rating. 243 posts Send private message

Sorry to correct you.. yet again. It is not, however an "EU rule" on registration as such. There are no obligations on countries to do this. Most do not. Spain does. I also do not have a "campaign" against it as such. I merely believe that if a country does decide to exercise their option to do this, then they should do so fairly, consistently, and in accordance with the law. They should not make up rules on their own as they go along, neither should they mis-use the procedure to try to achieve objectives it was never intended for.

Like 0      
17 Sep 2012 10:02 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

KNJ, 
                    Just in case you have by now forgotten your request for help.

It was:
                     Is the rule for 3 consecutive months or cumulative throughout the year?  Say I come for 2 months April & May & 2 months September & October do I have to register?  How can they check this?.

The answer is:-   You have no need to register.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Planning application in spain - 5 posts
New Passport Procedures - 17 posts
Gas Inspection? - 7 posts
Presidents of communities - 11 posts
Pets and their control - 0 posts
IVA Increase in Spain - 12 posts
Weather forecasts on this site - 1 posts
Winter Fuel Allowance, claim before 21.9.12 - 20 posts
Ideas for nice towns between Malaga and Salobrena? - 3 posts
RHD in Spain - where do I get one - 5 posts
RHD for LHD Car - 2 posts
Long Term Let on Private Property (Landlords point of view) - 0 posts
Torrenueva, La Cala de Mijas, Malaga - 2 posts
Opel Meriva 1.7 TDi Diesel for Sale - 1 posts
greedy wife stealing inheritance from children - 0 posts
Paying tax - 1 posts
New satellite channel receiveable on 28.2 UK TV Costa Blanca - 0 posts
bad service from TELEAST..... - 0 posts
Court Success and settlement by CostaLuz - 2 posts
ENDESAONLINE ONLINE CHAT SERVICE - 0 posts
CHARITY FUN DAY FOR CHILDREN IN CARE IN ELCHE - 0 posts
spanish driving test - 0 posts
Seat belts and Child seats are still an issue in Spain! - 12 posts
has anyone put kids into state school - 18 posts
Residencia card - 28 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x