Spanish motorway robberies on british tourist etc

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
26 Jul 2012 7:59 PM by papa Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

It's about time the Spanish police sorted out the motorway robberies  They KNOW who the gangs are !!!

It's a disgrace  Been going on for many many years and should have tough action NOW !

Like 0      
26 Jul 2012 8:13 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

So how do they happen?  

at any particular time or place?

and how does one combat it?

Like 0      
26 Jul 2012 8:47 PM by papa Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

I am aware of MANY people inc friends, who have been robbed in the morning on the AP7 motorway just south of the French border ( daylight hours )  The gangs shoot a device at the rear of a vehicle to make it sound serious eg similar to a tyre blowout, or they wave their arms to you and toot the horn to try to make you aware there is something wrong with your vehicle This mostly takes place near to a motorway exit, so they can make a quick get away. They use stolen vehicles to hijack you eg Black Mercedes or similar 

On occasions they may follow you from a hotel, where you may have stayed overnight and target you later on the motorway. They could tamper with your tryes when you stop at a motorway services and follow you until you have to pull over for a flat tyre etc.

All frightening stuff I know !!  BUT TRUE !!!  Believe me

DON'T STOP for anyone even if they claim to be police.   shout through a small opening in your side window and hold up your mobile phone to them to indicate that you are calling the police on emergency 112

I reall believe the Spanish authorities should be ashamed of their lack of arrests, these scams and robberies have been taking place for well over 25 years and THEY MUST KNOW WHO THE GANGS ARE    BUT are they bothered ?  NO they can't be!!

Like 0      
26 Jul 2012 9:27 PM by gerrryuk Star rating in Mezquitilla, near To.... 179 posts Send private message

gerrryuk´s avatar

wow, worrying stuff.

Guess a shotgun muzzle poked through the slit in the window is the best deterrant.

If they say they are the police best to drive to a police point or station, if you know of them.

Thanks for the warning.

Like 0      
26 Jul 2012 10:28 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

I had our local (Spanish) blacksmith make up a batch of 500 caltrops (he knew exactly what I wanted). They are useful to put under the tyres of people who have taken your parking space, etc. I keep a bucket of them behind my seat. If encountering highwaymen, I would toss handfuls out of the window. Please, no-one bother to tell me this isn't street legal or some such crap.

Like 0      
26 Jul 2012 11:56 PM by papa Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

Good idea  TO  BE PREPARED !!

Like 0      
27 Jul 2012 2:08 AM by hugh_man Star rating in Kent/Roda . 1593 posts Send private message

hugh_man´s avatar

http://www.murciatoday.com/british-holidaymakers-targeted-on-ap_7-scam._12546-a.html

Like 0      
27 Jul 2012 5:46 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Good tip when picking up your car at the airport. Remove the sticker that says it is a hire car!!!

Mark

Like 0      
27 Jul 2012 6:03 PM by papa Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

Absolutely Mark  

Also:

check in the mirror to see if you are being followed DON'T STOP for anyone

Drive round the round-a-bout a couple of times to make sure

We ALWAYS DO THIS when hiring a vehicle in Spain

Like 0      
04 Aug 2012 8:54 AM by marlowjen Star rating. 72 posts Send private message

This happened to ex neighbours of ours recently, at the pay booth just north of Barcelona! Take care around that stretch of the motorway.
Soon after driving off after going through the pay (not taking a ticket booth) they had a flat tyre. 2 guys appeared, jumped into their car and took bags etc. It is high time these areas had cameras and they catch the b.......'s

Like 0      
04 Aug 2012 9:13 AM by icaru Star rating in Kalkan Turkey. 46 posts Send private message

icaru´s avatar

This happened to us twice in and around Barcelona.  The first time our tire was shot as we were leaving the port, having just disembarked from a boat arriving from Genova.  The kid on a motorbike shot our tire, then followed us.   Short thereafter we decided, without realizing about our tire, to turn in to a gas station.  As we started into the driveway of the gas station, the kid on the bike pulled in front of us and blocked our path.  He pointed to the tire, I got out, looked and saw it was going flat.  he said he would help, we pretended to follow him but as he drove away from the front of our car we turned into the gas station.  There was a Guardia Civil standing there.  I told him what happened.  He called other officers.  To make a long story short, they caught the kids (Romanians), asked us to identify them and begged us to file a police report.  Thinking this would take 1/2 hour, we agreed.  After 4 hours we still did not have the tire changed, the kid had been let go because he hadn't actually stolen anything (yet), we still had not filed the report.  After 6 hours it was finished and we proceeding on our way south, arriving in Valencia at 1am !  The Guardia Civil promised to send us a notice of the court hearing to be scheduled a few months later.  Do you think we ever heard another word ????

Returning north from Marbella 5 months later we stopped at a BIG roadside restaurant, parked our car where we could watch it and went in to eat.  While watching our car (with 2 dogs inside too), an old battered car drove up behind ours, blocking our view of our tires.  We thought that car was going to park.  Instead, it backed up all the way along the row of cars and disappeared.  At that moment I heard a Spanish man say to his wife: "They just shot their tire." And sure enough.  We saw the tire deflating.  We changed it then and then.  Someone had called the Guardia Civil who asked if we wanted to file a report.  NO !  That was the biggest waste of time ever.

More recently, a guest using our apt was driving down from the La Mairena area above Elviria (Marbella).  A Spanish man hit him from behind, forced our guests rental car off the road and demanded 300 euros.  The Canadian driver was frightened, didn't know how to contact the police, didn't speak any Spanish ... so handed over the money !  Of course, a damaged rental car with no police report probably caused him to also pay the insurance, he never told us.

Not enough ?  I read recently that Barcelona is the thief capital of the world.  Basically those who are shooting tires are thieves.  We no longer drive to Marbella, we fly.  Too dangerous.

Like 0      
04 Aug 2012 10:02 AM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

We were going to drive down to Spain in September as we planned to have an extended holiday staying in France along the way for about a week or so. First time we have no time constraints! After reading a report this week in the press that the Foreign Office were warning people of the huge increase in incidents of robbery, we were put off. Having just read these posts we definitely will not be driving as it's just not worth taking the risk. Even flying and doing car hire seems not to be an ideal option either. We are considering changing our holiday destination. I'm really dissapointed as we see several friends who live in Spain and where we stay is so familiar to us.

Another shot in the already "annihilated" foot for Spain?

Like 0      
04 Aug 2012 10:27 AM by hrespana Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

I do not know of anyone amongst my circle of friends who has not been burgled, robbed or, in worst cases, physically assaulted in Spain.  The criminals attack all nationalities, not just the British, and it is a national disgrace.  On my urbanisation, 2 people have been killed and one Norweigian guy had his wife and kids held at knife point whilst other members of the gang took him down to the cashpoints in town to check that he'd given them the correct PIN numbers for his bank cards.  The tragedy is that the perpetrators are seldom Spanish - they are Eastern European or Moroccan by majority.

I've been told that passports can net up to 2000 € for the thieves and British passports are favourite.

If I go out on my own in the evening, I am more nervous than I ever was in the UK and I used to live in some pretty rough areas.  I just wish I could sell up and leave this country that seems to be going to hell in a handcart.

Like 0      
04 Aug 2012 10:31 AM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

Please do not OVER REACT these incidents are FEW and FAR BETWEEN 

I personally have RENTED cars and have never had a PROBLEM 

My advice just BE WARY most people are in a HOLIDAY mood and DROP their GAURD

SOME suggestions to take the LAW into your own HANDS is not A GOOD IDEA and would only make THINGS worse

SPAIN is a great PLACE 20 million visitors A YEAR cant be wrong

Rod

Like 0      
04 Aug 2012 10:32 AM by ob123 Star rating in Southern Ireland. 191 posts Send private message

We drove up from Alicante a few Weeks ago to Ireland, we took about 7 Days for the trip really enjoyed it, we bought a new Spainish Car before we left and had no problem at all, there was 4 of us travelling, we plan to drive down now in September. I think all these robberies are isolated, there are thousands of people driving up and down everyday, so I think you should take off and don't worry everything will be fine. and don't forget to dive over the the Milllau Viaduct in France on the way the higest bridge in the World amazing, check it out on the internet..... all my friends from England and Ireland have done this trip several times and they had no problem.....enjoy

Like 0      
04 Aug 2012 10:34 AM by Foxilady Star rating in surrey. 277 posts Send private message

Foxilady´s avatar

We have driven many times to Spain from the UK and never ever had a problem.  I think we should keep things in perspective.  And why would anyone stop on a motorway?  I nor my husband would ever stop for anyone other than a marked police car.  As I say we have been many times and on motorways a lot when we are there for a few months, not a problem.

If I shine too brightly, then put your sunglasses on oy vey

Like 0      
04 Aug 2012 10:38 AM by papa Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

Think you are WRONG Rod

These scams and robberies are rife !!!

The English news isNOW FULL of warnings against driving down to Spain   600 robberies already this year on the AP7 motorway

Like 0      
04 Aug 2012 10:55 AM by Tish Star rating in Surrey. 833 posts Send private message

We've done fly/car hire many, many times in Spain and not had a problem with the exception of a problem car twice. Mind you, one of those was a puncture??? You will always hear two sides to the argument, but why take an unnecessary risk? The idea of a holiday is to have fun and relaxation. Reading these reports we would worry all the time. When we stopped for fuel, a meal break and overnight stops. We would have been driving a Land Rover with GB plates, not undercover in a Spanish car! Even flying and hiring a car, they are easily recognisable by the number plates. There are plenty of other destinations in the world to enjoy . We are always aware of our surroundings when on holiday but Spain now appears to be one risk too far. It's a great shame.

Like 0      
04 Aug 2012 11:02 AM by nsmisa Star rating. 43 posts Send private message

You need to keep these things in perspective.

I have just completed a 4,000 mile, 9 country (not Spain admittedly) tour of Europe on a motorcycle and was warned of this kind of activity, particularly in Croatia and Poland.

Just be aware that it "is" happening and keep your wits about you - if at all suspicious, keep moving - if your tyre has been shot, it is wrecked anyway. Make things difficult for them and they will invariably move on to "softer" targets?

Like 0      
04 Aug 2012 11:04 AM by rod Star rating in Uk and Spain. 469 posts Send private message

Well PAPA

I am willing to TAKE the RISK isnt thats WHAT life is about CHOICES 

If you decide to go around roundabouts TWICE thats your choice PERSONALLY I judge things on my OWN EXPERIENCES 

I find this METHOD is more RELIABLE EVERYTHING IN life CARRIES a RISK 

Spain has its PROBLEMS YES BUT ON balance THE GOOD outways the BAD 

So IF i see a very NERVOUS person driving continously AROUND the ROUNDABOUT I will make sure to GIVE you a WAVE

Rod

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Where to buy TV accessories/cables etc - 1 posts
Last Olympic satellite UK TV update - FTA, Freesat & Sky - 0 posts
How do I stop this nonsence - 29 posts
pool - 0 posts
Banks - What can we do? - 0 posts
Taking a UK mobile phone to Spain. - 8 posts
- 0 posts
How do I delete a previous thread? - 0 posts
SAT NAV - 2 posts
Underhand Shenanigans in Formentera del Segura - 0 posts
Brits urged to take out travel insurance as hospitalisation cases soar - 12 posts
Getting rid of a bad administrator. - 32 posts
No transfer document!! - 0 posts
Not looking good - 9 posts
Any vans with space from Valladolid to Alicante? - 0 posts
disabled and looking for a new life in torrevieja-am I crazy or can I actually do this? - 3 posts
Certificate of Non-Residence - 13 posts
OH DEAR, SPAIN ASKING FOR FULL GOVERNMENT BAIL OUT - 1 posts
Driving license - 6 posts
a uk debt - 14 posts
We save people 40% - 60% on the cost of fuel guaranteed - 0 posts
Removal Van For Sale - 0 posts
RENAULT SCENIC 2004 FOR SALE - 1 posts
Advice required on mobile homes - please - 0 posts
Kerry's Kafe, Calahonda, Costa Del Sol - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 106

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x