ARE TOURISTS STILL BEING RIPPED OFF, I MEAN OVERCHARGED IN SHOPS

OR RESTAURANTS.LAST TIME I WAS THERE I GOT SHORT CHANGED ON SEVERAL

OCCASIONS,I CANNOT ESTABLISH IF IT WAS INTENTIONAL OR JUST ERRORS,

DUE TO THE FACT THAT THEY MIGHT THINK WE DONT KNOW EUROS.OR THEY

SEE US ALL  AS  MILLIONAIRES THAT CAN BE TAKEN FOR A RIDE. NEXT TIME I

WILL WATCH MY MONEY MORE CAREFULLY.

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLIES

Like 0      
22 Jun 2012 9:10 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

In 25 years in Spain, I have never been ripped off as a foreigner.

I also very rarely check my change unless it is a large amount, unlike when I was in UK.  Occasionally I have been short of a coin and on other occasions, I have returned money when the error has been the other way.

Like 0      
22 Jun 2012 1:56 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi - one thing I always check is the special offers in Carrefour.  They do lots of 3 for 2 deals but sometimes the computer does not deduct the amount it should at the till, and you end up paying full price.  I still go for these deals (especially on my favourite wine!) but check the receipt carefully.  I have had to go to customer service at least 3 times to get a refund -- which they do without any problem.

Not sure if this is a deliberate thing or just them being sloppy - and not targeted at foreigners either!

Like 0      
22 Jun 2012 2:02 PM by mojito Star rating in Cupar Fife / San Jua.... 268 posts Send private message

No, never been ripped off  that I am aware of.  Herby you must be just lucky I guess.

Jo and Jim

Like 0      
22 Jun 2012 2:27 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

About 30 years ago I bought some stuff in Makro in UK for myself and some guys at work. When I was checking how much each had to pay me the bill did not balance. Eventually I realized that although against each item the amount shown was the ticket price, they were adding the VAT in the total net cost of the items and then adding it again at the bottom of the bill.

Makro were amazed and had no idea how long the error had been there. It was clear it was a programming error and not deliberate, but who adds up the items to see if the total figure is correct? Not many I guess.

Like 0      
22 Jun 2012 9:29 PM by elviriadreamer Star rating. 99 posts Send private message

elviriadreamer´s avatar

Never  been ripped off on the Spanish mainland (once ended up in an apartment we had not booked instead of the one we had booked, but not ripped off) ever. Prices have always been fair and spot on with the correct change given...which then becomes a tip.

Prices have sometimes been lower in some cases in restaurants or free food/drinks...they loved my grandsons :)

Have no complaints about Spain and being ripped off. 

You must of just been unlucky Herby...as I was in the Canaries.

We live and learn!

Like 0      
23 Jun 2012 12:00 AM by newworld Star rating. 942 posts Send private message

IF YOU DID GET RIPPED OFF IN SPAIN, IT WILL PROBERLY BY OTHER  BRITS

Like 0      
23 Jun 2012 8:50 AM by plumbjan Star rating. 5 posts Send private message

So  nobody gets ripped off or short changed anywhere other than Spain, the coinage is quite easy to count ,its not impossible to see at a glace if you change is correct , all it means is be aware, everyother means of stealing from your persons exists world wide,surely common sense must be the order of the day.

Like 0      
23 Jun 2012 9:48 AM by TheWoodbug Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

I share ClaireT's experience in Carrefour it is an accepted fact that you must check everything at least twice after the checkout drill! Perhaps it's something to do with the fact that there are dozens of till points in these stores but  only two or three are ever manned (or womaned) and it appears to be more of a social event than a comercial transaction. I have noticed in the Elda store that there is a lady who seems to spend her time flitting between the few operating tills with a strange key around her neck 'freeing' the mechanisms.

Last year, in a supermarket operated by a medium sized chain store, I went through cash out and was told that my card was not working, although it had just performed perfectly well in Aldi and the ATM. I was asked to pay cash and I refused to do so, so the goods were then put through again and guess what - the card didn't work again and I was asked to pay cash again.

I realized that something was not right, so I abandoned the goods at the checkout and left the store. I checked my statement on line the next day and the money had been taken out and then refunded later. It appears that I am not alone with this one as once you pay the cash and they don't refund your card, how do you prove that you paid cash as well?

Nice little earner if you can get it.

The Woodbug

Like 0      
23 Jun 2012 9:52 AM by normascott Star rating. 8 posts Send private message

We are pensioners and live in England.  We go to our sons' apartment in Spain quite often and always hire a car.  For the last five years everything has been ok until this May.  We dropped our hire car off at Murcia Airport, Spain, as instructed and dropped the keys into the allocated letter box.

Two weeks later we received an email from the agent, Cartrawlers (who incidentally say they cant do anything about this) saying that a week after we dropped the car on 31May , 400 euro was put onto our Credit card.  We did not receive the email from Cartrawlers until 14 June, a whole 2 weeks after the 'so called damage' occurred.

When we left the car in Murcia airport as arranged, I might add, right next door to the White Van that we drop the keys off to (although no one was there) it was UNDAMAGED.

Please can anyone help us, we have tried to get a Disclaimer from our Credit card company but have not heard anything yet, we feel SO HELPLESS.

Looking on Dickmanns website blog, this has happened to quite a few people, surely we can do something about this BLATANT LIE.

Like 0      
23 Jun 2012 10:16 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

The Woodbug
...........................  I realized that something was not right, so I abandoned the goods at the checkout and left the store. I checked my statement on line the next day and the money had been taken out and then refunded later. It appears that I am not alone with this one as once you pay the cash and they don't refund your card, how do you prove that you paid cash as well?

Nice little earner if you can get it.
-------------------------------------------------------

Even after 50 years dealing with the public  I am still amazed how readily people jump to the conclusion that others are out to get them. It is never mistake but a conspiracy against them.

I get people who come to the police to make a denuncia (crime report) saying ‘I was robbed’. When I ask questions about what happened quite often there is no evidence that it was not a case of them losing their property.   When I ask losers would they be prepared to say in court a person stole their wallet  from their pocket if that person was arrested, and they were saying they found the wallet on the footpath, most then agree they could have dropped the wallet. 

We all like to think we don’t just lose things but from the many thousands of items handed in to the police each year obviously we do, and also obviously there are a lot of honest people out there who hand the items in.

In the case quoted for example, there is no apparent evidence to prove there was any intent to steal, a mistake was much more likely. For an employee to steal in the way described practically the whole accountancy dept. of the company would need to be in on it and the company records would need to be fraudulently altered.

As for how do you prove how you paid?

It is shown on the till receipt.

Payment by Cash Example 
A pagar                   9,01
Entegado Euros 20,00
Cambio euros     10,99

With a card payment you have the card receipt.

Like 0      
23 Jun 2012 10:17 AM by televisiontechnology Star rating in Costa Blanca South. 165 posts Send private message

I think with all the above - it does depend where you go & who you bump into.

In Spain in the last 10 years - I've been ripped off by Brits &  Spaniards alike. 

Generally I do not find that most everyday Spaniards (taking the town halls & the crooks within them to one side) ripping Brits off. I live in area 15 minutes inland with a mix of Spanish / English in a small village - generally these issues don't happen.

My partner did get shortchanged in a local chemist, realised only when she got home - drove back and it seemed a genuine error & they handed over the money - it can happen anywhere.

There were stories of bars ripping of expats & perhaps in some areas, certain unscrupulous bar owners will try it on perhaps with Brits that have had a few drinks, i've only seen this myself once in 10 years - I think most now would not want to upset customers as everyone is desparate for business.

I will say though try dealing in big business in Spain and then the real ugliness of the corruption and the slowness of the law shows it's hand  - though would not expect to see this affect tourists or the average Joe / Juan in the street.

In the instance of Normascott above, who it does sound like this car firm is 'trying it on' ,  you could denounce them as fraudulent on your next visit, but as we know this is time consuming for yourself, you'll probably need to hire a translator, then may need to revisit for a court hearing - it's so painful, it's probably not worth the effort - and that is what these con merchants are banking on.

Your credit card company can contest & withdraw the funds, so the probable best path is to pursue this avenue.

www.televisiontechnology.eu - Satellite TV, network telecomms, IPTV & community support.

www.facebook.com/televisiontechnology

Like 0      
23 Jun 2012 10:24 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Norma.

Take it up with your card company and INSIST they refund.  They almost certainly will.

I rented a car in UK some years ago and a few months later got charged by Visa' for another rental.  No problem. I spoke to the card company and the money was refunded, it was a mistake.  Just as simple as that not a grand conspiracy to defraud !

Incidentally when I rent a car and when I return it I take photos from all angles, if possible with a member of staff in the photo.  

MMM   maybe I am paranoid too !!!!!

Like 0      
23 Jun 2012 10:28 AM by Raindrop Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Always be aware of what you should be paying and check the bills.

I have experienced overcharging on several occasions, some of which are accidental and others possibly not.

Efficiency is not the greatest asset possessed so you need to be on top of the situation at all times!

Like 0      
23 Jun 2012 10:38 AM by dollymixture Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Hola Woodbug,

The scam you mention at the check out happens in the UK too.  You are 100% right, you are not able to prove that you paid by cash.  The person on the till keeps the money.  Nice scam if you can get away with it. 

Like 0      
23 Jun 2012 10:51 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Dolly

I said this below.

As for how do you prove how you paid?

It is shown on the till receipt.

Payment by Cash Example 
A pagar                   9,01
Entegado Euros 20,00
Cambio euros     10,99

With a card payment you have the card receipt.

Like 0      
23 Jun 2012 11:17 AM by TheWoodbug Star rating. 32 posts Send private message

Hola Dollymixture
Obviously you are someone someone who lives in the real world unlike our friend johnzx.
Come on Johhnyboy wake up - no till receipts issued - no way of checking. Card didn't work allegedly so no till roll receipt.

Of course ‘fiddles ’go on everywhere, not just in Spain and wherever there is cash involved more so.  I have been in business in Spain for more than 6 years so I know my way around and I certainly would not have posted my experiences if I thought for one minute that they were accidental.

I like to think that I am a fairly well balanced individual and certainly not paranoid about others conspiring against me, and surely, describing a situation which is very far from normal hardly indicates that I believe everyone is out to ‘get me’.

In closing, I am sure that you do a sterling job down the old cop shop but comparing a wallet thief to a supermarket check-out is pushing it a bit. Anyway it’s down to Mercadona for me today hopefully to secure my comestibles without any undue till malfunctions

The Woodbug

Like 0      
23 Jun 2012 11:20 AM by dollymixture Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

I think you are missing the point

The till adds up the bill - say GBP 50, you pay by card, till reconciles HOWEVER the person on the till says your card has been declined and you need to pay cash (but your have paid £50 on your card unbeknown to you at the time) so you pay £50 cash put the receipt in your purse/wallet and off you go.  You wouldnt be given a card receipt would you, that would not be handed over just your normal itemised receipt

Like 0      
23 Jun 2012 11:30 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Woodbug.
                               The incidence you mentioned when the card was not accepted but later you found it had been and then refunded, without any recourse by you, why would that have been an attempt to steal from you rather than a malfunction of the system, a pretty common occurrence ?

Had you then paid with cash you wopuld have had a receipt showing that and I have little doubt the correction on your card would have been made too.

And ‘No till receipts.’   Where do you shop where you can pay by credit card but they don’t have receipts?   Not Mercadona for sure.  It was one of their receipts that I used to show how cash is accounted for on the receipt.

Like 0      
23 Jun 2012 11:45 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Dolly

So you’re saying that you pay cash and the card is debited.

If the card transaction had gone through it would be recorded as a credit in the till.  

If the till accepts the card payment then it cannot also issue a cash receipt.  

What would you get a cash receipt or a card receipt.    You would not accept a card receipt, which is quite different from a cash receipt , if you paid with cash.

If the till accepted the card and the assistant gave you a cash receipt the till would show both amount, so if the assistant stole the money then the till would be short.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

cameras - 0 posts
Car boots in spain - 3 posts
San Pedro Tunnel - 9 posts
Looking for quality mechanics hand tools. - 3 posts
Help me! Travel to Spain - 0 posts
The best beautiful place in Spain - 5 posts
England v Italy - 0 posts
Car hire no petrol charge - 6 posts
“Don’t let a lost passport ruin your holiday!” New video clip for use on news and community websites launched by British Consulates - 3 posts
Corvera Airport - 10 posts
CAR HIRE COMPANY bSAFECARHIRE ANYONE ?? - 4 posts
- 0 posts
- 0 posts
builders supply water and electric - 8 posts
TRAIN BENIDORM TO CARTAGENA ? - 0 posts
Sportal - 0 posts
Paying off an existing mortgage - 54 posts
Mobile broadband - 1 posts
If any interest for cheap barcelona restaurants.. - 1 posts
VAT on consumables? - 3 posts
POUNDLAND / 99P SHOP - 10 posts
Newbie to the Forum - 0 posts
MODERN AND TRANSPARENT JUSTICE IN SPAIN - 0 posts
Ideas for nice towns within an hour of Alicante Airport? - 21 posts
Orihuela town hall to deal with illegal properties that evade paying taxes. - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 34

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x