Warning against a scammer sending messages to members

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 Mar 2012 12:00 AM by MizzFixit Star rating in Sunny Marbs. 46 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter
MizzFixit´s avatar

Hiya

Just to give you all the nod - I have a rental listing on here and have just received the enquiry below.  I was wary so googled the IP and also the telephone number.  He's a scammer so I shall be steering clear.

Don't they have anything better to do???

This is it:

** EDITED - Contact details **

Comments: Good Morning, I am "extremely" keen on long term rental of this property, it apears to be evrything i have been searching for, i hope that it is available to view / do a deal in early May, when i am home for the middle east (i am a close protection officer) i work in Afghanistan etc. I am looking at a 1 years rental, and if this is avaiable, then i shall come over and view / hopefully secure the deal around 11th May, i do hope that this is possible, please e-mail me on the info above, and i look forward to hearing from you soon, Kindest Regards. Rob:  Enquiry IP address: 88.202.62.35

Enquiry date: 31/03/2012

This message was last edited by EOS Team on 02/04/2012.

www.mizzfixit.com

I organise, you relax

Like 0      
31 Mar 2012 4:34 PM by stillgoin Star rating. 161 posts Send private message

i have had things like this but not on here 

they ask for your bank details and offer to send you money for whatever

hmmm i wonder why

Like 0      
31 Mar 2012 9:45 PM by christinejoyce Star rating. 56 posts Send private message

I have advertised for instance to rent a room in my house here in UK. This is how it goes, they usually live in another country, always have a very English name.offer a large amount for say 12 months rent, and ask to rent only for say 6 months. Here is the rub, because of currency! Or bank problems, can they do a bank transfer, they need your bank details, you are then asked to transfer back the balance. The money will appear in your bank but the bank about 14 days later inform you that the funds have not cleared, meanwhile you have transferred your monies and they have cleared. This is known as the Nigerian scam for obvious reasons. It is rife but most people are wise to it.

Like 0      
01 Apr 2012 2:52 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

As you know, we actually review all enquiries before they go out to their owners and TRY to pick out the obvious spam ones.  Some slip through but I think we do a good job of catching spammers in general.

MissFixit, I'd be interested to know why you think that enquiry is spam.  It is a normal name, he has given a phone number and his ip address is allocated to a satellite phone which would back up his story that he's working in a remote location such as Afghanistan.

He has submitted three or four different enquiries but they all different.  Spammers tend to submit exactly the same message to vaious people.

Did you get in touch with him?  What was his response?

Thanks

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
01 Apr 2012 3:14 PM by stillgoin Star rating. 161 posts Send private message

surely anyone who wanted to rent would contact a rental agent not send out random messages to unknown people

its probably not spam but probably just the old con doing the rounds

i'll go with christine on this one

Like 0      
01 Apr 2012 4:12 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

It was an enquiry submitted via the rentals facility on EOS, sent direct to the owner, so not just a random message.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
01 Apr 2012 5:18 PM by stillgoin Star rating. 161 posts Send private message

01 Apr 2012 6:23 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

Most of my holiday rentals last year came through the EOS rentals facility enquiries.

In all honesty, I would now really hope that this particular enquiry made to MizzFixit is, indeed, a scam - as otherwise to publish the telephone number and email address on an open forum is a little worrying!! 

Like 0      
01 Apr 2012 9:57 PM by MizzFixit Star rating in Sunny Marbs. 46 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter
MizzFixit´s avatar

OK everybody, whilst I appreciate that everyone has their own point of view, I was kind of hoping for a bit of support here.  Call me over cautious, but there was something not quite right about the enquiry, so I immediately googled the IP address. The first listing on google for it appeared on a romance scammers warning website.  Duh?  Forgive my reaction........   Then I noticed that the telephone number he had given was in fact in the UK.  He has actually sent me a follow up message and I have now responded accordingly (digging a little deeper for information).  I am reasonably intelligent and I think I've now learnt to perhaps investigate even further before asking for members help or trying to warn them.

If in fact he turns out to be the 'real thing', I will gladly make a 'public' apology.   

Thanks anyway.  

www.mizzfixit.com

I organise, you relax

Like 0      
01 Apr 2012 11:37 PM by stillgoin Star rating. 161 posts Send private message

hi mizz i thouroughly agree i have seen this many times and guess what surprise surprise they want your money others can of course do what they like but i am with you ignore !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like 0      
02 Apr 2012 12:03 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar

stillgoin, you said "others can of course do what they like but i am with you ignore".  That was an alternative course of action that wasn't taken in this instance.

I didn't say, either way, whether I thought it was a scam or not - just that I would hope it was a scam after someone publishing the name, email and telephone number of the person.   I was in no way querying the intelligence or otherwise of anybody here, just expressing my own concern - from someone who has received many enquiries over the years (both for long-term and short-term rentals) via EOS.   Maybe it would have been a better course of action to alert Justin to the matter before publishing it on an open forum?

Again, just my opinion - each to their own!

Like 0      
02 Apr 2012 12:21 AM by stillgoin Star rating. 161 posts Send private message

YOUR PROBABLY RIGHT ABOUT PUBLISHING DETAILS ABOUT IT BUT I STILL WOULD NEVER GO THERE IT WOULD APPEAR  I CAN SEE NO MENTION THAT ADVERTISED ANYTHING SO IT WOULD SEEM ODD TO GET SUCH AMESSAGE

STILL ALL ARE FREE DO DO AS THEY WISH

PLEASE NOTE I WAS ANSWERING MIZZ NOT CHALLENGING YOUR COMMENT

Like 0      
02 Apr 2012 12:48 AM by MizzFixit Star rating in Sunny Marbs. 46 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter
MizzFixit´s avatar

Many thanks for all your comments.  I have asked Justin to edit my first post and remove the contact details (as I don't seem to be able to).  In any case, I will let you know if there are any further developments :)

www.mizzfixit.com

I organise, you relax

Like 0      
02 Apr 2012 2:45 AM by stillgoin Star rating. 161 posts Send private message

whatever you said it was for the best of all good on ya

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Retirement in Spain - 0 posts
New laws and taxes on bringing uk car on uk plates. - 33 posts
New rules on NIE and Residencia - 138 posts
Applyling for Spanish Nationality - 24 posts
IBI TAX AND WHO PAYS IT? - 7 posts
please recommend a reliable car mechanic - 3 posts
Where are they now? - 2 posts
Registering on the EU Citizens Register (replaced the Residencia) The form in English - 53 posts
DO I NEED AN NIE NUM TO OPEN A NON RESIDENT BANK ACCOUNT - 11 posts
Party walls/fences - 5 posts
Spanish registered car for sale in UK - 3 posts
Cancel my Residencia - 53 posts
In Europe Sticking To The Rules Matters - 2 posts
General strike thursday - 5 posts
koi - 0 posts
Almanzora Country Club - 9 posts
love spain - 84 posts
Looking for a Villa to Rent for July and August in Quesada - 0 posts
Valencia - 5 posts
Quad wheels & tyres. - 0 posts
Stagecoach Theatre School "Musical 2012" 3 tickets for sale - 0 posts
Swimmimg pool liners - 4 posts
CPS Spain Rentals Benalmadena - 4 posts
Endesa and Aquagest direct debits - when and how much? - 2 posts
Residencia - 14 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x