Have our eye on Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
27 Mar 2012 12:00 AM by Legroom Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

Hi, my wife and I ( mid 50's) are seriously considering moving to Spain and are looking for a Long-Term rental! only question is where to go?  what area do we choose? who can help? 

We are not the  type who want to live in a predominantly spanish area ( strange I know as its their country after all, but those that Live there already know what I mean)

At the same time we dont want Fish N Chips, lager louts, kiss me quick etc etc!

So were looking for a good mix of both!

I am a working musician and play the bars where I live so would be hoping to do the same in Spain, so again need to be somewhere where there are english bars close enough to play in.

Any information, advice, warnings* would be gratefully accepted.

Like 0      
27 Mar 2012 11:33 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Welcome to Eye on Spain!

Well, your question is really tough to answer.  There are just so many possibilities and what one person loves another absolutely hates.

Have you been to Spain before?  Did you find any areas that you liked?

If you want English bars to play in then you are going to be near fish and chip places too!  Along the costa del sol I would have thought Fuengirola or Benalmadena are probably what you would be looking for.  Although there area lot of English pubs in those areas they are actually great places, lots to do, full of like but still very Spanish.

Best of luck with the move.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
27 Mar 2012 12:12 PM by maddiemack Star rating in Grantham, Lincolnshi.... 194 posts Send private message

I agree with Justin that the Costa del Sol is your best option for all the reasons he has already pointed out....as-well-as the fact that it's warmer in the winter there than it is further north.  Also, I applaud your decision to take a rental rather than buy!  If you don't much care for the area you try out first, you can always up-sticks and move to a different area and try that.  Even if the area you choose to start with turns out to be the right one for you, after getting to know your bearings you'll probably find that you want to move to a different property within that area! 

Where we are in the UK, it has taken us three years of living here and getting to know the town to finally work where we want to live within it. We have sold the house we bought when we first moved here and we are now living in a much smaller place whilst we wait for a house to come on the market in the place we really want to buy....but at least we managed to actually sell our house here!

Like 0      
27 Mar 2012 12:14 PM by Fighter2 Star rating. 237 posts Send private message

Sorry I meant this to be a private message, I have now sent the message directly to the thread originator

Barry

This message was last edited by Fighter2 on 27/03/2012.

This message was last edited by Fighter2 on 27/03/2012.

Like 0      
27 Mar 2012 5:54 PM by MizzFixit Star rating in Sunny Marbs. 46 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter
MizzFixit´s avatar

If you're looking for a decent long term rental, then I would definitely recommend that you wait until after the summer months.  Most nice properties are now being held back by owners who are looking to make their millions by renting out during the summer months!  Also many owners are suspicious of people saying that they want long term in order to keep the price down and then clearing off after the summer.

There are lots of areas along the Costa del Sol where you can get a good feel for Spanish life, but have amenities catering for the British expat market too.  Just remember that the closer  you get to Marbella, the more expensive it gets up until after Estepona.  There are very good rental deals to be found in the Manilva/Duquesa area (and of course you have Gib on the doorstep if you're desperate for a proper pork pie!!)

Either way, take your time and come for a short stay in your preferred area first.  It may cost you a little bit more, but it will be worth it!

Good luck!

www.mizzfixit.com

I organise, you relax

Like 0      
27 Mar 2012 6:47 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Anywhere you like, really.  If you have been to Spain before you may have some idea of the location.  The Costa Blanca is cheaper than the CDS for both buying and renting.  Although the towns of Torrevieja, Guardamar, Santa Pola etc are quite heavy on the Brit side, they are quite seasonal and some bars and restaurants have to make all their money in the summer months to keep them going.  I mention that as some of them may want performers to keep the customers coming in during the off peak months but others may not be able to afford them.  We have a fairly recently opened one that has entertainment virtually every night and is very busy whilst another has just had to close down.  Further north, Benidorm is obviously the place but the competition would be quite stiff.  We have been there for weekends throughout the year and they always appear busy with lots of entertainment in the hotels and bars.  You wouldn't have to live there as there are some nice towns in the vicinity away from the English (and Irish) pubs.  

Wherever you choose, you should really have enough funds to keep you going for a couple of years until you get established.  

Like 0      
31 Mar 2012 9:01 AM by occasions Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

What's this concentration on Costa del Sol? I would suggest the northern Costa Blanca, in particular around Moraira. It's protected by a backdrop of mountains and is only marginally cooler than the Costa del Sol, but much quieter and definitely more select. No high risers, many varied restaurants and a good mix of nationalities. We love our music up here and regularly listen to all types including rock, classical and folk. There are also jam sessions in some of the restaurants.

We have lived in the Costa del Sol but have now retired up here. There's no comparison and plenty of long term rentals at good prices. Also so much to do - walking in the mountains, golf, lectures, social fuctions, petanque, backgammon, quizzes etc. We have less time now than when we were working but much better life.

Come and have a look amd see what I mean.

Like 0      
31 Mar 2012 11:15 AM by papa Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

Find an area where crime is not rife  (not easy to do) rent a place if you really want to be in Spain    DON'T BUY !!!!!!!!

We have just sold our holiday home on the Blanca after 11 years  Used to be great in Spain. We have had the BEST 11 years Spain will never see the good times again  We are Glad to get out !!.  The only good thing left in Spain is the weather !  Apart from last Tuesday when it rained for 36 hours and there were MEGA FLOODS and everything STOPPED

Good luck   Think carefully

Like 0      
31 Mar 2012 11:20 AM by papa Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

Forgot to mention THERE IS NO WORK IN SPAIN !!

Like 0      
31 Mar 2012 11:49 AM by anniemac Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

I think Lake Vinuela area in Axarquia may appeal to you. 45 mins from Malaga airport - 15 mins from the coast ta Torre del Mar. Villages near the lake include Puente don manuel, Alcaucin, Periana and lots more. It's a real nice mix of English/Spanish. Worth a look. Some good rental bargains available too! Good luck

Like 0      
31 Mar 2012 12:01 PM by occasions Star rating. 6 posts Send private message

I'm new to this post but am amazed at the negative comments from some.

Crime is not rife in Spain, you are far more likely to be attacked or burgled in many other parts of Europe including the UK. The figures are there to be seen if you care to look. Yes, it does rain and when it does it can be heavy. It's just as well because water is always wanted in warm climates.May I also remind some that there are hose pipe bans in the UK.

It is important to try and learn basic Spanish as that makes living here more enjoyable. Also it has the added benefit of keeping alzeimers at bay!

Good times in Spain are not a thing of the past but like all countries it changes and we have to adapt.

Just make sure you join groups and make friends.

Forget the malcontents and welcome.

Like 0      
31 Mar 2012 12:09 PM by damoas Star rating. 2 posts Send private message

The Costa del Luz - The Coast of Light - is in the province of Huelva which has many lovely properties for setting out on an adventure in Spain. It is a real pleasure to live among the Spanish people who are always eager to make friends and to be helpful. We live in a lovely woodland area and enjoy the countryside whilst having really good access to the coast and many national park areas.

The advice to rent in an area first is a good one particularly if you need work or schools but if like us you are retired and you want to enjoy a real Spanish experience then you would best be advised to 'dip your toe in the water ' first to ensure where you live meets all of your criteria for selecting somewhere to live.

We have been here over 8 years and have never regret a minute of it although we now need to return to the UK because of family needs. We have a beautiful villa and holiday bungalow and enjoy visitors every year and we will miss all of this and the many friends we have made here. It is an adventure we will treasure.

Good luck with your search but do not forget to come to our Huelva province before you make your final decision.

Like 0      
31 Mar 2012 12:12 PM by stillgoin Star rating. 161 posts Send private message

occasions

it is odd how quite a few who live in spain have so many moans about it

i agree crime certainly where i live is noteable by its absense 

Like 0      
31 Mar 2012 12:22 PM by papa Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

Yes I agree with Stillgoin 

Maybe these people who have been mugged, burgled, living in unfinished urbanisations or indeed had their villas unfairly demolished should stop moaning!!

Like 0      
31 Mar 2012 12:46 PM by papa Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

Is it not true that some Spanish builders remortgage their clients property without their knowledge and is it not true that some builders either stop the projects leaving buyers in the lurch, build on land they shouldn't be building on, build without planning permission or even take off with prospective buyers life savings/deposits etc.

OR are all these well reported problems in Spain just lies ?

Like 0      
31 Mar 2012 12:55 PM by stillgoin Star rating. 161 posts Send private message

why on earth would anyone get involved with such people?

if you do why moan about it

Like 0      
31 Mar 2012 1:10 PM by papa Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

I agree Stilgoin  I used to say that to these victims when I worked for the British Consul  in Spain

Like 0      
31 Mar 2012 3:17 PM by Finisterre Star rating. 26 posts Send private message

"Find an area where crime is not rife  (not easy to do) "

Sorry, but this is nonsense. There is crime everywhere in the world, sure, but Spain is no worse and arguably better than England. We've had no major problems at all. Minor thefts have happened to us both in Spain and the UK.

"rent a place if you really want to be in Spain    DON'T BUY !!!!!!!!"

OK, this is probably good advice at the moment. 

"Used to be great in Spain. We have had the BEST 11 years Spain will never see the good times again"

Oh come on. Everything was completely amazing and now everything is completely crap? Seriously?

"The only good thing left in Spain is the weather !"

And the people, the lifestyle, the lack of angry road-rage in all walks of life, the cheap bars, the music, the unprivatised health service, the humongous G&Ts... etc.

Oh, and I have a job and have had for the last three years. *touches wood*

This message was last edited by Finisterre on 31/03/2012.

Like 0      
31 Mar 2012 3:57 PM by demo1212 Star rating in Duquesa Village Bloc.... 35 posts Send private message

Why are some people so negative you sound like that bloke off   "ONE FOOT IN THE GRAVE" the tv programme

We live in Duquesa where we have the luxury of a beautifull Marina which could be classed as English  because everyone speaks English there but more European i would say with the many different restaurants offering Quisine from all counries and lots of bars for you to play your music in.

Then either side of Duquesa Marina you have Spanish Villages such as Sabinillas and Castillo. just what you are looking for Typically Spanish and a lovely place to live. come and rent as advised and see for yourself. The crime rate is really low virtually non existant but i am sure another Victor Meldrew out there will have something to say.Not a lot of work about but thats true Globally at the moment. Shopping around  we find our food shopping is cheaper here and eating out doesnt have to be expensive with Tapas and Menu Del Dia .

Then you have Sotogrande and Torrequadiaro nearby both lovely too  with the mix of Spanish and English. For the times when you have withdrawal symptoms for the UK you can nip to Gibraltar in 25 mins for a quick visit making you glad to get back to Spain again.

Dont listen to moaners give it a try and see for yourself . what have you got to lose !!! you only get one shot !!! Good Luck

Like 0      
31 Mar 2012 4:24 PM by stillgoin Star rating. 161 posts Send private message

demo

you seem to have forgotton if you lived in the uk you to could well be another victor meldrew

why not just let them get on with it

after all its probably the only fun they get

as  for moaning its raining here today third time in a year pehaps victor could send a letter to the president complaing about my dire situation

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

HOTEL KEY CARDS - 6 posts
Wanted, red/silver gas bottle - 0 posts
Homestay in Spain - 0 posts
COURT STAFF CUTS - 1 posts
Sue & Brian Here.. looking for dog friendly hotel/B&B/motel near Logrono Area.. - 0 posts
Builder for fencing needed in Riviera del Sol, Mijas-Costa - 1 posts
Apartment for rent - 0 posts
Car rental insurance for UK visit - 2 posts
Baja Consular is it cruel joke - 12 posts
Mercedes SL or similar WANTED - 0 posts
Cost of automatic swimming pool cleaner (suction or electrical driven) - 2 posts
What´s on in Formentera del Segura This Week - 3 posts
scam from china - 1 posts
Need a white van man - 0 posts
Hz - 13 posts
we are looking for a fantastic electrician ................. - 1 posts
working in spain as an electrical engineer - 1 posts
Motel near Logrono except dogs - 0 posts
100 million what a waste - 0 posts
International Driving Licence - 7 posts
buying a gas bottle Quesada area - 4 posts
Bank Complaints Procedure - 3 posts
mignon - 1 posts
Will be hoping to move down to spain in November - 1 posts
New here, my question is about driving my camper van down - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 25

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x