International Driving Licence

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
24 Mar 2012 12:00 AM by rachelle Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Can anyone give me some information as to where i can go to get an international driving licence.I live near to Alicante and have a uk drivers licence only.Apparently i need this international licence to drive over in Morocco

Like 0      
24 Mar 2012 11:12 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

25 Mar 2012 3:22 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Ask any driving school. They will know.

NB   

IDL's are really a misnomer.  They are not DLs but a translation of your national DL.  Thus it must be legal for you to drive on your national DL to be able to drive anyway and of course you MUST have BOTH your national DL and the IDL on you when you are driving.

Like 0      
25 Mar 2012 2:34 PM by dringman Star rating in www.Condadoexcursion.... 772 posts Send private message

dringman´s avatar

If you live in Spain I am told you will need to change to a Spanish Licence anyway  so maybe ask Gestor when you change. .

That info came from both Traffico Murcia and a Manager in DVLA as well.

www.condadoexcursions.com   Airport Transfers Day Trips Alhama de Murcia Taxi No 10  
tel +441212881323   +34 622714979

Like 0      
25 Mar 2012 3:04 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Dringman. There have been many changes to what one must do with DLs in the 25 yeas I have lived in Spain. I am 99% certain that now you can drive on an EU licence anywhere in the EU. The problem comes with renewing the UK DL. 

However, f one does not have a Spanish DL,  they MUST have a medical test in accordance with the time periods required for a Spanish DL. No medical = no DL and that = no insurance (as in Spain you must have a valid DL to be insured, unlike in UK where you must hold or have held a DL)

I changed my UK DL many years ago, On balance I find it better (if I get stopped for example the police understand the licence and I am ‘treated as a local’ ) When I have hired a car in UK no problems. And I don’t have to remember the medical tests as they are part of the renewal procedure

(An IDL last for just 12 months)

Like 0      
25 Mar 2012 4:14 PM by dringman Star rating in www.Condadoexcursion.... 772 posts Send private message

dringman´s avatar

Understand -  its is the part about living in Spain . Once you live here you should change to a Spanish licence , Many do not even get medical and yes no insurance when they come to claim .  I beleive that after  3 years living in Spain and driving on UK licence they in fact do not have a licence.  Cat amonsgt pigeon time

www.condadoexcursions.com   Airport Transfers Day Trips Alhama de Murcia Taxi No 10  

Like 0      
26 Mar 2012 3:11 AM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I have repeated this from another post as it is relevant here too.

This is an email Jan  2010 frm DVLA

Dear Mr xxxxxxx

Thank you for your email received on 18/1/10. Your email reference number is 216845.

Drivers who take up residence in another EC/EEA country no longer have to exchange their driving licence, but may continue to drive using their own national licence for as long as it remains valid. They should however check with the appropriate driving licence authorities where they resident for information on any conditions that the host member state may stipulate.

National licences may only carry an address from the country which issued that licence. We are therefore unable to re-issue a British licence with a foreign address. It is accepted that drivers who move to another part of the EC/EEA could be holding licences showing an incorrect address.

This is permissible under the the terms of the EC Directive on Driving Licence.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our Reply Form or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:

https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emaildvla/cegemail/directgov/en/reply_form_drivers.html

Regards
Mrs L Salter
Customer Enquiries Group
DVLA

NB
If you are resident in Spain (Have the EU Foreign Citizen Registration Cert or if from outside the EU a Residencia) remember if you drive on any licence you MUST have the appropriate medical cert. just like a Spanish licence holder.

Like 0      
26 Mar 2012 1:13 PM by dringman Star rating in www.Condadoexcursion.... 772 posts Send private message

dringman´s avatar

I do not disagree but try telling Traffico . Even had the letter from the book/ web site  . I think it depends whether you have the energy to argue with local authorities , pay extra fines etc . I decided to keep it simple and get a Spanish Licence and I would suggest if you want less stress then get the medical and change your licence . I think people should be aware of  the difference between legaliity and reality and save them selves problems . apartently Eu has issued 3 directives and they are taking time to be implemented .

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

buying a gas bottle Quesada area - 4 posts
Bank Complaints Procedure - 3 posts
mignon - 1 posts
Will be hoping to move down to spain in November - 1 posts
New here, my question is about driving my camper van down - 2 posts
where to buy a replacement car radiator - 10 posts
summer time - 4 posts
general strike - 33 posts
siberian husky puppy & serval kitten for rescue urgent !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 0 posts
Household items for sale - 0 posts
Deep Cycle Batteries - 4 posts
finding a stopover between Bilbao & Quesada driving via Valancia - 2 posts
Private pension with Mapfre Insurance ! - 3 posts
children in front seats - 26 posts
Panama hat - 3 posts
costs involved in selling property in spain? - 10 posts
long term let required-arroyo/gamanol area - 0 posts
Don't you just love them. Never a day. - 37 posts
Burofax - Process - 7 posts
Nightmare tennants in commercial unit - 3 posts
Lope de Vega school in Benidorm - 3 posts
Dam it!!!!!!!!!!!! - 10 posts
Modball Rally - 3 posts
Keeping your car in Spain!!!! - 5 posts
Natural Gas costs? - 13 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x