death duties

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Jun 2007 12:00 AM by di55pink Star rating. 50 posts Send private message

Someone on our development forum has heard that brit couples with a property in spain are liable to spanish death duties if one of them dies. Is this true& how much is it liable to be?Hope Maria Or Glynn might be able to give some advice please.

Like 0      
13 Jun 2007 11:51 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Assuming the property is owned 50/50, the surviving partner will be liable for inheritance tax on 50% of the property value. The rate depends I think on whether you are married or not. Perhaps Maria can tell us the current rates?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
14 Jun 2007 9:07 AM by Glyn the Lawyer Star rating in Jávea / Xabia, Benij.... 19 posts Send private message

Fundamentally these are national taxes but responsibility and competence are devolved to each autonomous community to regulate in this field. The rules differ between the various autonomous communities but there is a trend towards the abolition of Inheritance Tax betwwen spouses (as is the position in the UK).

For example, in the Valencian Community Inheritance Tax has been progressively eliminated since 2004. Put simply, as a result of further recent reforms the tax allowance has been extended to 99% for dispositions between resident spouses (amoungst others). Other communities have also taken similar steps and in order to determine what rules will apply you must look at the habitual residence of the deceased.

Like 0      
14 Jun 2007 10:41 AM by di55pink Star rating. 50 posts Send private message

Thanks for your replies .I presume if you are both U.K. residents & using it as a holiday home U.K. rules would apply?

Like 0      
14 Jun 2007 10:53 AM by Glyn the Lawyer Star rating in Jávea / Xabia, Benij.... 19 posts Send private message

UK resident owners of property in Spain are liable to pay Inheritance Tax in Spain on their Spanish assets.

When I mentioned the need to look at the habitual residence of the deceased this was in the context of a resident and the differing rules that apply between the various autonomous communities - for example did they live in Murcia, Valencia, Girona and so forth.

A liability may also potentially arise in the UK although a double taxation treaty exists between the countries to seek to avoid double payment.    

Like 0      
14 Jun 2007 12:54 PM by di55pink Star rating. 50 posts Send private message

Are uk residents liable to inheritance tax on their spanish assets between spouses or are these exempt as in the uk?

Like 0      
01 Aug 2007 1:05 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
Some years ago we asked a company http://www.propertyoverseas.uk.com/  for details as we were thinking of buying in Spain, which we eventually did. They have sent us occasional details & we've just binned them. However, we've just had another leaflet come & I was reading the back of it. Under a heading of REASONS TO BUY IN SPAIN I noticed it says "NO INHERITANCE TAX FOR VALENCIA PROPERTY OWNERS WHICH INCLUDES SOUTH COSTA BLANCA". I've emailed asking for their source. Perhaps they are privvy to something the rest of us aren't !

Like 0      
01 Aug 2007 1:30 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
Spouses are  exempt  of IHT in the UK  but  they are not for  Spanish Inheritance TAx ( ISD).

Therefore, if you are a married couple owning a property in Spain (regardless you are a  Spanish resident or not),  the survivor will be liable to ISD on the deceased spouse's half ( assuming that's the way your wills are written) at his/her death.

The limits of legitimate inheritance rights of Spanish Inheritance Law are not applicable to UK nationals even if they are residents in Spain.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
01 Aug 2007 2:01 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hola Maria

Yes, I knew that, I was being somewhat facetious.

I was just amazed a company selling Spanish homes could stoop to advertising with that blatantly false comment on. Needless to say I haven't received an email response from the company.

Our Spanish wills are a mirror image of each other, mine left to hubby & his left to me. Is that best, seeing as we haven't family ? (& to my two nieces if we both "go" together.)

Guess Jacobo's asleep, is he ? Is motherhood what you envisaged ? You seem so busy, wonder how you fit it all in.

Like 0      
01 Aug 2007 7:02 PM by di55pink Star rating. 50 posts Send private message

Thanks Maria,that anwers my question.Congratulations, hope you & Joshua are well. Not too many sleepless nights!

Best Wishes Diane.

Like 0      
02 Aug 2007 6:58 PM by ellemum Star rating in Bolton Lancs / Costa.... 122 posts Send private message

Hi everyone,

Forgive me for being a bit thick!!   Does this means that either my husband or me will definitely have to pay Inheritance Tax on our Spanish property when one of us pops our clogs.  Or that if we "go together", our son and daughter will have to pay it.

Is there a legal way of not doing so?

So far, we have taken the maximum mortgage on the property, as I understand this may lessen the impact.

Also, what happens if the living spouse or other beneficiarys do not have the means of paying the tax?  Is the property Sold in order to do so? 

Thanks

Ellen

Like 0      
02 Aug 2007 7:05 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Ellen

Never a dull moment in here is there with IHT.  Just seen this, does it help ?

Ways on How to Avoid Inheritance Tax on Spanish Property

http://www.marbella-lawyers.com/index/articles/showArticle/how-to-avoid-spanish-inheritance-tax-on-spanish-property

Click on the related questions on far right too. Amongst them are these you may want to read.

Related Questions

This message was last edited by morerosado on 8/2/2007.

Like 0      
03 Aug 2007 4:46 PM by Glyn the Lawyer Star rating in Jávea / Xabia, Benij.... 19 posts Send private message

Readers / visitors to the forum may find the article below of some assistance vis-a-vis IHT. I wrote it earlier this year for a magazine and it addresses the situation in the Valencian Community.
Glyn Moran
KEY CHANGES IN SPANISH TAXATION – PART II – INHERITANCE TAX AND LIFETIME GIFTS

By Glyn Moran LL.B. (Hons), Partner

Continuing with same theme as last month, in this edition of Viva! we look at the recent taxation reforms which have taken place in the Valencian community with respect to Inheritance Tax (IHT) and Gifts or Donations.

The editorial in the national Spanish newspaper ABC in February described the reforms to IHT and lifetime gifts as “a brave decision, rightly guessed, just and modernising of our taxation system”. Whether this is necessarily true is a matter of opinion but in essence this captures the sweeping nature of the changes which have been enacted.

As a general rule tax is payable where the beneficiary is resident in Spain or in the case of a non-resident individual, on the receipt of assets sited in Spain. Nationality has no effect whatsoever, one must simply determine residency and look to where assets are located. In addition, unlike the UK – where the estate of the deceased is subject to taxation – in Spain the beneficiaries who inherit are themselves liable.

Whether these new changes will have a dramatic effect on many readers is a matter of debate but certainly on the face of it they look appealing. Put simply, as a result of the reforms the tax free allowance has been extended to 99% for dispositions between resident spouses, descendants, ascendants and close relatives (Groups I and II). Inheritance Tax has been progressively eliminated in the Valencia Community since 2004 and these new provisions are a culmination of this trend. Indeed, they are also reflective of a growing national tendancy throughout the various autonomous communities to eliminate IHT.

In addition to these changes, a 99% tax free allowance also applies to gifts to children and adopted children of whatever age, natural parents and those parents who have adopted. However, this tax free allowance only extends to €420.000 and in order to take advantage of the new regulations you must not have existing wealth exceeding €2 million.

Fundamentally these are national taxes but responsibility and competence are devolved to each autonomous community to regulate in this field. When dealing with Inheritance Tax the applicable regulations that apply are determined by the habitual residence of the deceased whilst similarly in respect of donations one looks to the residency of the donor, save that in respect of Real Estate it is determined by the physical location of the property. As such, this clearly has practical implications in view of the differing rules that apply in each Community.

From a practical perspective it is expected that the change to IHT alone will benefit up to 49.000 residents of the Valencian Community annually generating a tax benefit of up to €152 million. In tandem with this, changes to the tax treatment of gifts or donations between parents and their children and children to their parents are expected to benefit some 9.000 Valencianos.

However, importantly when considering the practical affect of these changes on an individual basis residency will be paramount. As a result this will undoubtedly have significant implications for non-Spanish nationals living in the Valencia Community. Fundamentally this is because in the context of the changes to IHT both the deceased and the inheritor or inheritors must be resident in order to take advantage of the extensive tax break which is now in place. For dispositions between resident spouses it certainly carries distinct advantages and brings Valencia very much in line with the position in the UK. However, self-evidently parents naturally look to safeguarding assets beyond their lifetimes. As such, virtually tax exempt dispositions between couples fail to address the more fundamental question of how their loved ones can inherit in the most tax efficient manner. Moreover, the residence considerations that apply to these new rules will almost certainly exclude a large majority of UK nationals whose intended beneficiaries – principally their children – remain resident in the UK.

For this reason, in the context of the large ex-pat community in the Valencia region it is somewhat misleading to accept these as “just and modernising” changes because in actual fact they may have little practical benefit to many. Certainly on paper they represent a significant tax reform but it is likely that they will principally benefit Spanish nationals and their heirs. As such, well considered inheritance tax planning remains as relevant as ever to avoid your beneficiaries paying more than they should.        

If you wish to discuss the above or any other related matter then please feel free to
contact myself or my colleague Nick Carter MLIA (Dip) SoFA on +34 966 472 660 / 699 838 795 / or alternatively e-mail us at info@legalandfiscal.com

© Glyn Moran LL.B. (Hons)-. All rights reserved.

Like 0      
09 Aug 2007 6:06 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

MARIA ... LOOK AT THIS ... Posted in the thread Spanish Inheritance Tax

09 Aug 2007 6:03 PM

morerosado
Star rating
Finca

morerosado´s avatar

I'm in Guardamar, CB

I've made 856 posts

Edit this post

I recently had a flyer pushed through the door from www.propertyoverseas.uk.com & I was amazed by the info it had on the back of it to make buying in Spain more attractive. It said "No inheritance tax for Valencian property owners which includes South Costa Blanca" & I knew this wasn't correct according to Maria de Castro, our resident lawyer on EOS. So I decided to email them, see .........

Good morning,

I had one of your fliers arrive through my door. It has "No inheritance tax for Valencian property owners which includes South Costa Blanca" written on the back. Where did you get this information from ? I'd like to read about it for myself.
It wasn't replied to so I resent & this time I had read messages from three people ! Someone has just replied with this ....
Hi

Yes we have been advised by our Spanish office that there is NO inheritance tax in Valencia region which covers South Costa Blanca to Parents, Spouses and Children, this law was brought in on Jan 1st this year.

You must be a resident in Murcia Region but not in the Alicante Region for this ruling to apply. Inheritance Tax for Murcia is a small amount calculated on the price of the property.

Hope that this is of some help.

Best Regards,

Jack Cornelius
Town & Country South West
01225 755811
Jack rather contradicts himself don't you think ? I mentioned this in another thread but now cannot find it, Maria had commented in that thread after I'd said about the flyer. Aha found it by searching Maria's posts. It was in the thread called death duties

Like 0      
09 Aug 2007 6:50 PM by Glyn the Lawyer Star rating in Jávea / Xabia, Benij.... 19 posts Send private message

There is a great deal of misinformation on this topic and as a general rule great care should be taken. As I indicated previously I hope that the copy of the article I wrote provides some guidance and what I would stress is that for the large majority this change in the law will have no real practical benefit due to the parameters in which the legislation will apply.  

Like 0      
14 Mar 2012 6:34 PM by growler Star rating in Birmingham & Benejúz.... 164 posts Send private message

I notice this thread on inheritance tax was last updated over 4 years back and to be honest having just read through it twice I'm still none the wiser!

Would anyone "in the know" care to write a couple of paragraphs on it as I doubt I'm the only one in the dark on this subject?

Myself and my wife made mirrored spanish wills on the day of purchase and we'd assumed (wrongly it seems) that as in UK there would be no IHT due when first spouse popped their clogs.

For simplicity lets use a nice round figure and assume a property is "worth" €100k,  at the time first spouse dies. Perhaps it would be useful to assume 2 scenario's, firstly for a property unencumbered (no mortgage involved) and secondly say a worse-case scenario of €100k mortgage outstanding so zero equity left in it.

Suggestion - why doesn't someone write a nifty little IHT guide for Spain and flog it for £9.99 (I'll take one please)  ;O)

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Fencing - 9 posts
WANTED RENTAL - Benijofar - 7 posts
RENTAL WANTED - BENIJOFAR - 3 posts
Which Form? - 1 posts
"Bumber" newsletter - 4 posts
Contacting the developments - 4 posts
Grupo Urbasa build delays - 3 posts
M&M - 4 posts
The Banana Tree, Quesada, Costa Blanca - 1 posts
Costa Del Sol - 0 posts
Insurance advice - 2 posts
Minor D-I-Y Crisis...Suggestions please! - 8 posts
masa inspection trips - 6 posts
From John K - 4 posts
COMMING OUT ? WANT A WEATHER UP DATE ASK ME - 22 posts
Guess who has just been in my shop?? - 56 posts
Places to eat? - 0 posts
Sun Lawyers - 0 posts
Help!! - 13 posts
Any other buyers? - 3 posts
Children Great at Making us Laugh (Your Entertaining Stories Please!.) - 1 posts
Marina de Cope Murcia - 3 posts
Hello Again Jeansis !!!!! - 9 posts
Telephone conections - 2 posts
inspection trip - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 16

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x