shoes for driving in spain??

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Aug 2011 12:00 AM by quesada11 Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

Hi can anyone tell me the law now, can i drive in flipflops or sandles? or bare feet?

If i get stopped by the police have been told i must  have shoes and a top on!!, can you not drive your car without a vest on, seems crazy to me but dont want to get stopped and fined.

what are the rules?

Like 0      
11 Aug 2011 10:40 PM by Bri Star rating in North. 591 posts Send private message

I have always understood that you have to wear shoes or sandals with a proper strap or back - so no flip flops and no bare feet. I think there is a general move against half naked men walking around or driving around, but I don't know which law that would be!!

Brian

Like 0      
11 Aug 2011 10:45 PM by abbbb1 Star rating in Essex and Ciudad Que.... 306 posts Send private message

abbbb1´s avatar

Flip flops for driving are a definite "NO, NO" - and the rest as BRI says.  I remember reading about people, who were driving in flip-flops being stopped and fined.  Not sure just anyone knew that they were driving in flip flops - must be a good infra-red system!!

Home
is where the heart is!

Like 0      
11 Aug 2011 11:08 PM by quesada11 Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

Thanks for the replies, i will wear trainers to be safe and a vest, not worth the hassle gettng stopped.

Like 0      
11 Aug 2011 11:45 PM by Bigwilly Star rating in Spain of course. 118 posts Send private message

The actual phrase is `fit for the purpose` i think.

Like 0      
12 Aug 2011 10:23 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

If I'm going to beach I drive in flip-flops and don't carry any driving licence or ID.

Could the reference to vest mean that you should have in your car the yellow safety vest  - the same as you should have 2 warning triangles?

Relax - enjoy Spain!

Like 0      
12 Aug 2011 10:43 AM by janie2003 Star rating. 129 posts Send private message

No vest!

I may be wrong but I was told that enshrined in the Spanish constitution is the right to go naked in the street.

And with the heat who could blame them/

Like 0      
12 Aug 2011 11:08 AM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

I've heard that as well but I believe they have introduced by-laws in places like Barcelona to stop tourists walking around the streets in swimming shorts/bikinis and imposing on the spot fines.

You know the sort your typical British tourist tatooed and bear belly hanging over shorts!

Like 0      
12 Aug 2011 11:17 AM by janie2003 Star rating. 129 posts Send private message

Found it seems I was right except for barcelona of course.

en 1988 se abolió el delito del escándalo público en España y que desde entonces no se puede sancionar a nadie por ir desnudo.

"in 1988 abolished the crime of public scandal in Spain and since you can not punish anyone for being naked."

From which it would seem ok to drive without a vest.

Like 0      
13 Aug 2011 5:19 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Flip flops when driving, being nude in public places, even confirming that a child aged 14 can get married with parents consent (unless they have changed the law since Feb 2011, it is/ was permitted)  etc.   One should be able to ask the police but the problem (23 years living in Spain) is that you may get different answers from different officers.

On one occasion, I asked if I could drive my 49cc motorcycle on a stretch of motorway (it is allowed if there is no alternative). I got several different answers. No one was able to tell me what constituted 'an alternative'.   Finally the consensus of advice was, that I worked as a volunteer translator with the police, if I got stopped I should just say I worked with the police. Not at all satisfactory.

I have asked various other questions with the same result.

So largely, it depends on the officer who stops you and maybe whether you can talk your way out of any potential problems.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 13/08/2011.

Like 0      
27 Aug 2011 7:10 PM by nitram Star rating in castalla. 175 posts Send private message

I have known peope who live around by me being stopped by the police and they have just looked in car to check they have correct footwear i.e no flip flops or bare feet , law states footwear should have covered front (so dont get stuck under pedals and backing on footwear covering heal so item can´t come off.

Poped in to get petrol the other day while driving my 49 cc moto and there was 2 police offices in there  as i finished paying and turned around one officer had come around from behind shop fittings and i caught him looking at my feet he was i´m sure he was looking to see what footwear i had on, all ways wear  deckshoes anyway to keep within the law

Nitram

This message was last edited by nitram on 27/08/2011.

Like 0      
30 Aug 2011 7:44 AM by chordiant Star rating in La Torre Golf Resort.... 40 posts Send private message

chordiant´s avatar

For some, commonsense goes out of the window when they are abroad.

1) Does ANYONE reading this, really feel that driving in flip-flops is appropriate? Surely on the grounds of SAFETY ALONE, there must be a clue in the fact that you are asking in the first place...!! Maybe if I asked if it was illegal to drive in Switzerland whilst wearing ski's, someone would argue that it was OK to do so..!!

2) Driving in a VEST? It is about time that 'men of a certain age' realised how absolutely stupid and gross they look whilst wearing their 'wife-beater' vests...!!!!! They should all be rounded up and shot - in the same way that the same 'men of a certain age' wear Speedos (budgie-smugglers) in and around pool areas. You may think you look good in them - rest assured YOU DO NOT..!!!

3) And to those of you who insist on wearing black socks under your sandals - deportation is the only answer.......!!!!!!!!!!!! 

This message was last edited by chordiant on 30/08/2011.

Like 0      
30 Aug 2011 12:03 PM by otivar2010 Star rating in Otivar (Granada Prov.... 65 posts Send private message

otivar2010´s avatar

CHORDIANT, what a strange and bitter person you seem when you say 'men of a certain age' realised how absolutely stupid and gross they look whilst wearing their 'wife-beater' vests...!!!!! They should all be rounded up and shot - in the same way that the same 'men of a certain age' wear Speedos (budgie-smugglers) in and around pool areas. You may think you look good in them - rest assured YOU DO NOT..!!!

I don't hols a view on old men in speedos, or old women in bikinis (or topless), but I assume in the interests of fairness, you'd apply the same to old women wearing skimpy shorts and tops (substitute prostitute for wifebeaters ?), and you think women of a certain age, should be rounded up and shot for bulging out of inappropraite bikinis, or worse still, old women going topless - same thing surely - or are you just a bitter man hater ??? I personally think people should wear what they like and people like you should get a life and mind their own business - just a thought.

Like 0      
30 Aug 2011 12:09 PM by SMYTHIE Star rating. 145 posts Send private message

Perhaps a change of name from CHORDIANT to DIS-CHORDIANT is called for

Like 0      
30 Aug 2011 1:18 PM by chordiant Star rating in La Torre Golf Resort.... 40 posts Send private message

chordiant´s avatar

My oh my..! Who have had a Sense Of Humour, malfunction? 

Yes, you could catagorise LADIES of a 'certain age' who insist on wearing bikini's best suited to teenagers, as being 'ill-advised'. The answer to 'Does my bum look big in this'? must surely be 'No, not at all - your bum is already big - regardless'!

People-watching at Airports would indicate that a large number of individuals, fail to view themselves in a mirror before being seen in public - either that, or they fail to put a light on whilst they get dressed..!!

Shopping for their annual holiday would appear to be completed at the infamous 'Dress Me Like A Prostitute' shops, younger versions shop at 'Lycra for Hookers'.

The ability for some to be able to walk and breathe at the same time, remains a complete mystery.

God knows how they managed to book a flight and get to an Airport...!!!

Smile - it is called 'Observational Humour' 

Like 0      
30 Aug 2011 1:30 PM by SMYTHIE Star rating. 145 posts Send private message

Chordiant whilst   your observations may be correct it may not be wise to voice them in public unless of course you are a big bloke like me lol

AS for the walkers and breathers I marvel at their ability to actually get into the standing position, perhaps it is the compelling allure of the next burger

and I am in no way concered about your view on bikinis as I dont wear one

This message was last edited by SMYTHIE on 30/08/2011.

Like 0      
30 Aug 2011 1:51 PM by otivar2010 Star rating in Otivar (Granada Prov.... 65 posts Send private message

otivar2010´s avatar

The point is, that the extreme language used about men who choose to dress in a certain way, would never be tolerated if used in a similar way about women - the charge of sexism would rightly be applied immediately, but these double standards are endemic in society at the moment - hence the 'sense of humour bypass'.

As you must be a hell of a good dresser to have so many opinions on other people, maybe you would post a pic of yourself, so we can all be impressed, or laugh, whichever we feel appropriate.

This message was last edited by otivar2010 on 30/08/2011.

Like 0      
30 Aug 2011 2:21 PM by chordiant Star rating in La Torre Golf Resort.... 40 posts Send private message

chordiant´s avatar

The point is, that the extreme language used  about men who choose to dress in a certain way, would never be tolerated if used in a similar way about women - the charge of sexism would be applied immediately, and these double standards are endemic in society at the moment - hence the 'sense of humour bypass'.

As you must be a hell of a good dresser to have so many opinions on other people, maybe you would post a pic of yourself, so we can all be impressed, or laugh, whichever we feel appropriate.

Normally, I would consider myself FAR, FAR too good a dresser for my picture to be pasted here. In the past it caused SO much envy amongst men, that they would immediately discard their 'wife-beaters', budgie-smugglers and black socks - leaving us with nothing to laugh at. And not to leave the ladies out (for fear of being branded a sexist) - PLEASE continue to wear exceedingly tight lycra and those 'Bikini's for the Aged' - People sometimes need to be reminded of the need NOT to wear either.........!

So, against my better judgement:

See? Absolutely stunning.!

p.s. Sorry that they are out of shot - but I am wearing my Swiss driving-skis.

Like 0      
30 Aug 2011 2:23 PM by SMYTHIE Star rating. 145 posts Send private message

Most alluring looks like you could do with a few dozen burgers though lol

Like 0      
30 Aug 2011 2:31 PM by campana Star rating in Marbella. 474 posts Send private message

campana´s avatar

OMG Chordiant

Do send me your phone number!  LOL.  At least you have a sense of humour.

I've been around a lot, seen a lot, and I am pretty broad-minded, but I know what you mean about the "hooker look". 

Patricia

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

LFO's - 0 posts
Telephone and Internet Charges. - 1 posts
British old age pensions - 11 posts
Wrong numbers - 1 posts
Motorway - 0 posts
Local Politics - Getting Involved - 2 posts
Eating out recommendations in Arroyo de la Miel - 1 posts
chipmunk in Nuevo Paraje Moriana - 0 posts
WANTED: long term rental wanted in quesada/torrevieja area from september 2011 - 2 posts
All Spanish Should Learn To Speak Fluent English - 23 posts
ITV Homes From Hell - 9 August 2011 - 33 posts
schools in rojales or quesada for 5 years old - 4 posts
Big light show 11-13th August - 4 posts
Thinking of coming back out soon for a week with my kids ? - 0 posts
Disco Equipment for sale - 0 posts
Security for vacant properties - 2 posts
Supermarket Purchases - 12 posts
Have you seen the UK news - 36 posts
Afghan Heroes Dinner and Ball - 0 posts
Mercedes SLK 230 Car Swop or Sale - 2 posts
new business - 0 posts
Wind! - 6 posts
Hi, I'm Daniel. I need some help with fitting out our summer Villa in Torrevieja, - 6 posts
Is it obligatory in Spain to have house insurance for tenants??? - 4 posts
What's happened to Richie Allen from Talk Radio Europe - 6 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 22

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x