holiday apartment not a house??

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 May 2011 12:00 AM by IBJH Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

after much digging I have found out my house was purchased as a holiday apartment and not as a home.The developer built them seemingly as apartments in some way connected with the hotel that was built at the same time.I have now found out the first habitation licence was never applied for and consequently having problems with my "Dation en Pago" although everything has been completed for 6 years the developer does not seem to have applied for the correct licence and my house as deemed incomplete by the town hall.I am not exactly sure what the difference in status means? can someone enlighten me.Also if the developer does not apply for the licence how do I go about getting one myself although this seems unlikely as the apartments/houses what ever are somehow deemed as 1 development with the hotel?

Like 0      
31 May 2011 2:36 PM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

Consult a lawyer quickly, i belive they call these properties tourist regime apartments or something like that!

If you had a solicitor for the purchase they should have never allowed you to complete without the habitation licence!

Joan

Like 0      
31 May 2011 4:20 PM by claire T Star rating in Torremendo, Orihuela. 688 posts Send private message

EOS Supporter

Hi - I agree with joanmalaga - your problem is with the lack of a Habitation Certificate, not the fact that your apartment is a Touristic apartment.  There are some restrictions on touristic apartments, namely that you cannot register this as your permanent home (cos they are meant to be rented out) but you only need to rent it out once per year to stay on the right side of the law.  You can buy and sell these apartments, but you should point out to any buyer that it has this special status.

The Habitation Certificate has been discussed on the forum many times and you can search to see more detail.  However, in essence, the certificate should have been applied for before the property was purchased and it proves that the council is satisfied that the property has been completed in line with the planning permission which they gave for the build.

You should not have been allowed to complete, nor should you have been allowed a mortgage, without this piece of paper.  Are you sure it has never been issued?  You can check at your town hall and ask for a second certificate if the original was issued but you don't have a copy of it.

As joanmalaga advised, you should get a lawyer to assist you.  Good luck.

Like 0      
31 May 2011 5:14 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

It looks like your lawyer did a very bad job!  You should not have been able to complete on that property.

We know of all sorts of horror stories with regards to "aparthotel" type properties so best if you get some good legal support to sort the mess out.

Best of luck with it.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
31 May 2011 5:24 PM by IBJH Star rating. 15 posts Send private message

did have a lawyer who is long gone,however I thought I may have some come back on the back allowing the mortgage to complete?.However bank is taking no responsibility,not sure if I have any comeback with them?

Like 0      
31 May 2011 5:35 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Not really sure.  Do you have a lawyer at the moment?

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
01 Jun 2011 7:49 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Yes IBJH, the case deserves a consideration by a good lawyer to deffend you

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
02 Jun 2011 12:49 PM by sneezey Star rating. 64 posts Send private message

sneezey´s avatar

Why don't you put the question to the free advice box when you open Legal Thread?  There's a box at the top of the page before you go into the posts. They're Lawyers and at least would be able to give you an idea of what you can or can't do.

Like 0      
02 Jun 2011 1:02 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Initially, the dation rights are independent to the fact that the house has a license or not. And if any effect can be drawn it will always be in favor of the dation.

At the same time, I would advise to start an action against developer/Bank for the refund of your deposits plus legal interests linked to the lack of the said license.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
02 Jun 2011 1:14 PM by Faro Star rating in London. 1139 posts Send private message

But status would impact on valuation and that's a part of the process.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

statutes of horizontal law - 1 posts
24 HOURS LEFT: SIGN THE OPEN LETTER TO DAVID LIDINGTON - 9 posts
Minimums for tax - 9 posts
InSpain TV - 3 posts
How to complaining about Administrator and Presidents running of AGM - 2 posts
mire - 1 posts
Raleigh Tucana Mountain Bike for sale - 7 posts
Harbour lights! - 3 posts
Items for sale - 4 posts
Seat cordobad for sale - 0 posts
Conversation exchange spanish-english - 2 posts
Raleigh Tucana Mountain Bike for sale - 0 posts
long term healthcare advice? - 0 posts
English plated BMW 1 series 118i Sport for sale - 0 posts
Case Won and Deposit Returned - 35 posts
airport bus to torrevieja! - 2 posts
Direct-Telecom - 11 posts
Fuengirola late night - 6 posts
BANKINTER mortgage in JPY ( YEN ) - 1 posts
value - 1 posts
Hi . I'm Toni - 4 posts
Post Office / Bank Saturdays? - 2 posts
What's your favorite airline? - 7 posts
Blackberry Messenger - Best Provider - 3 posts
Gasoleo B - 2 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x