Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 May 2011 12:00 AM by Mutu Star rating. 16 posts Send private message

Hi, can anyone tell me what the minimums are before tax is payable in Spain

Like 0      
31 May 2011 10:59 AM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

For 2010 it was €5151 or €6069 if you were over 65 or €7191 if you were over 75.  There are also allowances if you have kids or dependent parents living with you. 

Like 0      
03 Jun 2012 5:57 PM by Ziggyblue Star rating. 35 posts Send private message

Can this be updated to this tax year please and what percentage is paid on say 10k.

Like 0      
03 Jun 2012 7:09 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Even if you are under the income level to pay tax, unless you are employed and thus your employer shows you on the tax return, you MUST make a return.   Most years I do not need to pay tax but I make my annual return as required by Spanish law

Like 0      
16 Jun 2012 2:19 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

16 Jun 2012 2:52 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

I am not absolutely sure what Poppyseed had in mind when posting the Web Reference, however, it may have been in answer to Ziggyblue’s question of how much tax would one pay would on 10K.

If it is that, of course the rates refer to tax due on the amount, if any,  left after one’s tax allowance has been deducted, thus, unless one knows what their person allowance  is,  the tables as such are not that helpful.

In my case,  on my UK State retirement pension and interest earned, taxable in Spain, in the region of 15,000 euros, I had nothing to pay on the joint tax return my wife and I made.

But, as I said, we still were obliged to make a tax retrurn as we are not emplyed.

This message was last edited by johnzx on 16/06/2012.

Like 0      
16 Jun 2012 3:23 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Deductions and allowances

Deductions and allowances are available. The "Minimo Personal y Familiar" is the tax-free allowance. Any allowance not used against the general income can be set against the savings income.

The basic personal allowance for 2012 is €5,151 per person. For joint returns the allowance given to the first spouse is €5,151 plus €3,400 for the second spouse. A single parent gets €5,661. The basic allowance is increased by €918 for someone aged 65 or more (so €6,069 in total) and by a further €1,122 for someone aged 75 or more (€6,273 in total). The personal allowance (including additions for age, dependants and incapacity) is not deducted from taxable income but is given as a tax credit against the total tax payable.

Note that the allowances are not given as a deduction against income (as in the UK), but instead are given as a tax credit against the total tax payable. The amount of credit is calculated by taking the total personal allowance and multiplying this by the scale rates of tax, starting with the lowest rate first.  It is then deducted from the taxpayer’s total tax payable for the year.  This has the effect of relieving tax not at the taxpayer’s marginal rate, but first at the lowest rate of 24.75% rate, and then at the higher rates where applicable.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
16 Jun 2012 5:48 PM by johnzx Star rating in Spain. 5242 posts Send private message

Note that the allowances are not given as a deduction against income (as in the UK), but instead are given as a tax credit against the total tax payable. The amount of credit is calculated by taking the total personal allowance and multiplying this by the scale rates of tax, starting with the lowest rate first.  It is then deducted from the taxpayer’s total tax payable for the year.  This has the effect of relieving tax not at the taxpayer’s marginal rate, but first at the lowest rate of 24.75% rate, and then at the higher rates where applicable.

Poppyseed. Maybe I am not thinking straight today but I find that confusing.  From what I understand , in that case my tax consultant got it wrong and I should have paid some tax.

Be grateful if you would give an example of how it works, say for someone making a joint tax return. with a joint income of say 20K

Thanks

Like 0      
16 Jun 2012 8:52 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Johnzx, I have no idea I am not an expert on the Spanish tax system and only know as much as I can find and try and interpret on the internet! However, in my totally unqualified opinion I think your tax consultant is correct, the tax liablilty for 20,000 is less than the allowances so no tax is due. But as we all know tax is taxing and a very complicated subject in any country so I would only take the advice of someone qualified to give it. The info I posted was just  to show the tax rates and personal allowances for 2012.

Poppyseed

Like 0      
23 Jun 2012 11:44 AM by JohnKath Star rating. 157 posts Send private message

The Spanish Tax system is constructed in a different way to the UK system. You have at first what seems to be a very low personal allowance which is increased by other allowances dependent on age and whether the income is earned or unearned. So for a 65 year old with just a State pension there is no tax payable. Private pensions are also treated very favorably if you personally have purchased the annuity.

At 65 you have the basic allowance of circa €6000 and the earned income (includes pensions) of circa €5000 giving a total of around €11000 euro berfore you have tax to pay. If you have disabilities you can have additional allowances and if you have dependent parents or children living with you there are yet more allowances.

This not doubled for a married couple but it does increase if you choose to be taxed as a couple. This is another big difference with UK you can do your tax return online as two single people as a first test then try a combined return and choose the one that suits you to pay least tax. You do this on a Tax office programme that you can download called PADRE.

We are now in our third tax return year. The first year 2009 Padre gave us zero tax to pay singley but a small amount as a couple we chose singley. 2010 was the reverse if we went as singles Kath would have paid 5c so we went as a couple. This year much to my surprise the tax office sent us pre-completed returns showing no tax to pay on either so we signed them and returned them to the tax office personally. Here is another quirk having prepared the return you can take it to your bank they will deduct the tax payable and send the tax and forms on to the Tax office. However if you have no tax to pay the bank will not take the papers and submit them, you take them into the tax office they date stamp both copies give you yours back and file theirs.

Even if you do not need to pay tax it is most important to be registered and submit nil returns so that as a resident you can take advantage of the allowances available to tax residents for CGT and Succession Tax after 5 years returns.

This message was last edited by JohnKath on 23/06/2012.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

InSpain TV - 3 posts
How to complaining about Administrator and Presidents running of AGM - 2 posts
mire - 1 posts
Raleigh Tucana Mountain Bike for sale - 7 posts
Harbour lights! - 3 posts
Items for sale - 4 posts
Seat cordobad for sale - 0 posts
Conversation exchange spanish-english - 2 posts
Raleigh Tucana Mountain Bike for sale - 0 posts
long term healthcare advice? - 0 posts
English plated BMW 1 series 118i Sport for sale - 0 posts
Case Won and Deposit Returned - 35 posts
airport bus to torrevieja! - 2 posts
Direct-Telecom - 11 posts
Fuengirola late night - 6 posts
BANKINTER mortgage in JPY ( YEN ) - 1 posts
value - 1 posts
Hi . I'm Toni - 4 posts
Post Office / Bank Saturdays? - 2 posts
What's your favorite airline? - 7 posts
Blackberry Messenger - Best Provider - 3 posts
Gasoleo B - 2 posts
Desperate for a job - 3 posts
Old paper UK driving licence - 5 posts
Palmera Properties / Inroal Andarax lost deposits - 14 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x