Prescription advice for uk pensioner

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
25 Apr 2011 12:00 AM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
We have a guest staying for five months over the winter from November and he has a query regarding a prescription he will need. He has a regular prescription in France where he is part of the health system. He has an EHIC card issued by the UK as he is on UK state pension. When he went to France and before becoming resident, he visited a doctor who wrote a new prescription based on the old UK one. When he is going to be in Spain, he will also need to get a repeat prescription based on the French one. It is understood they will be free with the EHIC Card, but he will need to visit a state GP to get the prescription, (unfortunately, he can only get one months supply France prior to travel).

Can he register at the local health centre? Will he be able to get his prescription without payment?

Sorry to be so vague but I have no knowledge whatsoever about the healthcare system, either for pensioners in the uk or here, or otherwise really and have no idea how the EHIC works, etc.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

This message was last edited by Pitby on 25/04/2011.

Like 0      
25 Apr 2011 4:56 PM by Comanche Star rating in Islas Canarias. 13 posts Send private message

This is a link to the UK website

ukinspain.fco.gov.uk

Hope this helps

C

Like 0      
25 Apr 2011 7:42 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Many thanks. Will check it out.

Like 0      
25 Apr 2011 8:05 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

I know where we have our property in Spain, in the Valencian community of the Costa Blanca rules are different to other places as they have SIP cards etc but it is my understanding that if you are resident in a country .. as your guest is resident in France  .. he must have an EHIC card issued in France not in the UK. The EHIC card doesn't allow you free prescriptions anyway just free care if you have an emergency & end up at A&E .The hospital will demand the EHIC card to claim against his country's health system as I understand it. Can't say about France.

I asked some time ago about getting my prescriptions when in Spain & was told I have to pay (I'm over 60 & have a UK pension but that means nothing seemingly in Spain for us non residents). My particular bp meds cost a lot too but I have ensured I've stockpiled enough for three months for each time we visit for two months but my Dr. gives two months each time I ask which makes it easier to stockpile three months supply.

We could do with Bobaol, he'd know.

Like 0      
25 Apr 2011 8:41 PM by Pitby Star rating in Andalucía. 1904 posts Send private message

Pitby´s avatar
Thanks, More - will pass on the info.

Like 0      
26 Apr 2011 10:03 AM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

His EHIC should probably be from the UK according to the NHS website:

"Due to changes in European Union regulations, from May 1 2010 the United Kingdom may be responsible for the issue of your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) instead of the member state where you live. 

This will apply if you are a national of an EU member state and live in an EU member state, and you either:

• receive your state pension or other long-term benefit from the UK and you have registered the form E121 with the health authorities in the member state where you live; or
  • you are dependent on a citizen working in the UK and have registered the form E109 issued by the UK"

And you are right More - EHIC entitles you to same conditions as a native of the country you are visiting.  The Spanish have to pay for their prescriptions (although they are subsidised) so this chap will have to pay too.

Like 0      
26 Apr 2011 10:42 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hi Jek & Pitby

Our friends, who reside as residents on our urb in Spain (within the Valencian community near Torrevieja), had to apply in Spain for EHIC cards for holidaying in the UK where they had been residents some years previously. They both receive UK state pensions. Getting confusing isn't it? 

Like 0      
16 Sep 2011 6:28 PM by profbook Star rating. 1 posts Send private message

Hello everyone, I am the UK pensioner Jan refrred to in the initial post. Thanks Jan for asking for me.

Just for the record - I have now done some research and this is the situation (in case anyone else needs to know)

If you are a UK state pensioner living in another EEC country (as I am in France), then you now have to have the EHIC card issued by the UK and NOT the country you reside in. (which I have). This also needs to be used if you visit the UK.

The EHIC card covers you for ANY treatment occurring during your stay including treatment for long term illnesses/conditions. This includes prescriptions that you normally receive in your resident country on an ongoing basis.

If you are staying in Spain and not resident and you need more of an existing prescription, you can get this by visiting a STATE doctor and presenting your passport, EHIC card and the original prescription from your own GP. They will then write a prescription for you. The doctor's appointment is free of charge and the prescription is also free of charge (as long as the medicine is available in Spain on the state system).

There are a lot of misconceptions around this issue so I thought I would clarify. I am a retired NHS manager so I knew where to look!

Hope this helps others.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

spanish law - 2 posts
Weather! Tell me again ... - 13 posts
Car Swap - 1 posts
WANTED - LONG TERM RENTAL in the Los Alcazaras to Playa flamenca area - 1 posts
Telefónica Tenacity - 7 posts
2011 current rules re sat navs in Spain - 3 posts
Childs car seat - 8 posts
Directions - 6 posts
paying bills from the UK - 24 posts
CAR SWAP. UK to Spain - 3 posts
Lemon Tree market Open? - 3 posts
Segundamano issues - 5 posts
Tabacs Shop outside Malaga Airport - 0 posts
Appointing new administrators - 6 posts
Student moving to spain for summer, need help!! - 1 posts
moped for sale - 0 posts
Road traffic offence (not speeding) - 9 posts
Rent to buy contract - 4 posts
Jaens, Guardamar - 5 posts
Help. What is there to do with 3 kids aged 7,6 & 3 when it's raining. - 14 posts
Suma to Tenant - 0 posts
SHOPS & FARMACIA OPEN TODAY IN ESTEPONA OR SABINILLAS - 0 posts
Satellite dish wall mount - 0 posts
Computer desk / printer tractor feed desk. - 0 posts
Re blogs .. for Justin please - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 8

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x