Road traffic offence (not speeding)

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Apr 2011 12:00 AM by johnscotsfiddler Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

I am new to this site. hope it can help me with some advice.

On return to Scotland after holiday in Spain I got a letter from car hire company stating they were going to take 35.40 euros from my credit card for administration costs for them to supply my name and details to the authorities. I later got a letter confirming the money was taken. also enclosed was a photo copy of a document from Minesterio Del Interior. This document was in Spanish and I struggled to make sense of it. My understanding was that  there was a fine of 200 euros that would be reduced by 50% if paid within 20 days. I tried and failed to pay in uk branch of Santander. Tried and failed to understand inernet payment facility.  The document had the words "DOCUMENTO INFORMATIVO, NO VALIDO PARA ELPAGO"   written diagonally accross it in such a way that some words could not be read. I e-mailed the hire company on 15th of April to clarify what I was supossed to do but have not had a reply yet.

Since  the authorities have my name and address and they have not sent me any direct comunication should I ignore the one forward by hire company?  Does the time of 20 days start when I receive official letter?  Is it unreasonable for me to expect  the international hire company to supply clear information in English to me?

Like 0      
22 Apr 2011 10:12 AM by Marysafc Star rating in Harrow and Peñiscola. 113 posts Send private message

It sounds like a speeding fine. My husband got one just before last Christmas. Although our car hire company did not charge us for supplying his name and address to the authorities. We received a recorded letter from the Ministry with the details of how to pay and I did it straight away on the internet. That was 100€ reduced to 50€ if paid within 20 days. The fine also included a photo of where he was speeding. Use google translate to help you. The offence was in early Nov and we got the official letter just before Christmas - nice present!

Like 0      
22 Apr 2011 10:19 AM by reidpj Star rating. 239 posts Send private message

22 Apr 2011 10:52 AM by johnscotsfiddler Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

thankyou for your response. Definately not speeding. Offence was "no obedecer una senal de prohibicion o restriccion senal r-304. 

I may wait for offical letter to come to me.

Like 0      
22 Apr 2011 11:14 AM by Team GB Star rating. 1245 posts Send private message

Team GB´s avatar

Hi

'Faliure to obey a sign of prohibition or restriction signal'

I guess it was a one way street or traffic light offence, going the wrong way on a one way street is easily done.

s

Like 0      
24 Apr 2011 11:19 AM by johnscotsfiddler Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

Thanks to all who replied. Some useful information. But some points not addressed are:-

1) The hire company gave my details to the authorities. Is it not reasonable for them to use that information to contact me?

2) The photo copy with the words "DOCUMENTO INFORMATIVO, NO VALIDO PARA ELPAGO" written diagonally accross it obliterated some of the words. Should I not receive a recorded delivery official communication. (Like one of the previous respondants did.)

3) Since my request from the hire company to clarify things sent on 15th of April has not yet been replied to. would it be resonable to request them to pick up the extra costs incurred for late payment.

4) what if I decide to do nothing and vow never to go back to Spain! 

Like 0      
24 Apr 2011 12:19 PM by amep75 Star rating. 79 posts Send private message

IF YOU LIVE IN SCOTLAND CANCEL YOUR CARD GET A NEW ONE THEN JUST SIT BACK AND IGNORE IT

Like 0      
24 Apr 2011 2:10 PM by Sanchez1 Star rating. 853 posts Send private message

24 Apr 2011 8:47 PM by jek Star rating. 249 posts Send private message

jek´s avatar

I think the answer to your first question is that the Trafico will not send to an address outside Spain.  They will send to the hire company and the courts will take the view that Trafico have done all they reasonably can to notify you.  The hire company are probably obliged to forward to the address you gave them.  So everything is in order as far as Spanish courts are concerned.

2) It will have been sent recorded delivery to your only known Spanish address - the hire company.

3) Nice to see that you haven't lost your sense of humour over this.  Not a snowflake's chance.  The law says it's your fault, not the hire company's.  And it wasn't the hire company that went the wrong way down the one-way street or whatever.  That was you.  And you are guilty until you can prove that you are innocent as Trafico have said you're guilty and the word of Trafico or the Guardia is the word of God.  The court will believe whatever they say and you have the burden of proof shifted to you.

4) You will miss visiting a beautiful country full of beautiful people (and lots of Spaniards too) but otherwise nothing much is going to happen.  They certainly won't come after you in the UK and you're probably safe going back to Spain.  The only way you might be at risk is if you try to hire a car and give the same details (NIE, passport, driving licence number) as before.

As I am sure you already know, the law and justice are two completely different things :-(

Like 0      
24 Apr 2011 10:12 PM by Marysafc Star rating in Harrow and Peñiscola. 113 posts Send private message

My husband's speeding fine was sent to us in the UK. I don't think it was from the car hire firm.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Rent to buy contract - 4 posts
Jaens, Guardamar - 5 posts
Help. What is there to do with 3 kids aged 7,6 & 3 when it's raining. - 14 posts
Suma to Tenant - 0 posts
SHOPS & FARMACIA OPEN TODAY IN ESTEPONA OR SABINILLAS - 0 posts
Satellite dish wall mount - 0 posts
Computer desk / printer tractor feed desk. - 0 posts
Re blogs .. for Justin please - 1 posts
Computer desk corner unit - 0 posts
Indie IPR Electric Guitar for sale - 0 posts
Ref Roger Helmer's message - 3 posts
Key Holder - 0 posts
van leaving spain - 0 posts
Urgent need Long Term let Banlmadena - 1 posts
An interview to a Spanish Judge - 0 posts
Trailer wheels. - 0 posts
aportacion obligatoria - 1 posts
Blue & Yellow to trial reserved seating - 0 posts
Fiat Ducato motorhome - 3 posts
What is going on with the weather....... - 24 posts
Nuclear Incident at Valencia? - 2 posts
NIE Change of address - 11 posts
Sickness pay - 0 posts
funding for university - 1 posts
Installing Ceiling Fans - suspended platerboard ceiling - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 10

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x