England v the European Union

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
13 Mar 2011 12:00 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

The Daily Mail has more than its fair share of EU knockers who think their Little England would be the wealthiest and most guilt-free paradise on earth, if it wasn’t for the blood-sucking corruption and mindless incompetence of their EU colonisers. Many of them think Spain is a 'leper colony' for disgruntled ex-pats and gloat at any perceived misfortune that besets us. 'Serves them right," they say.

Now perish the thought that I would leap to the defence of Strasburg or Brussels, or Spain for that matter. But overall they seem to be making a better fist of things than the UK. Spain surely has a higher unemployment rate but there’s a bigger ‘informal economy’ which more than balances things out.

A Sunday read through the British newspapers is like taking a stroll through a penitentiary; pausing at each cell to ask the inmate why he is there. If corruption and crime, incompetence and hypocrisy were black spots, the UK would be a Dalmatian with very few white bits. Not being anti-English but the British establishment; no thanks!

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
13 Mar 2011 3:28 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

Well said Mike. I am sure that the Daily Mail, probably the worst paper published in the UK (The Sun comes a close second) would much prefer mainland Europe's individual nations to be at constant loggerheads if not actual war. When people in England (and I restrict my comments to England deliberately) talk of "Europe" instead of the mainland, I wonder which continent they think the British Isles actually is  part of!!!

Like 0      
13 Mar 2011 9:48 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Not sure how the "informal" economy can balance out the high unemployment. On the one hand you have a huge burden on the state in unemployment benefits, and on the other, you have huge numbers of people working, but paying no taxes to help with this burden. Surely a recipe for financial disaster? The informal economy exists largely due to the exorbitant cost of employing anyone (or being self employed) legally. Make it cheaper and easier for people to work legally, and surely you would be able to, how do they say in the Baltics, shoot two rabbits with one bullet?

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
13 Mar 2011 10:10 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

I have just received an e-mail from 'her indoors'; she send me lots of loving hags. Otherwise known as hugs.

There was a very good EoS article recently on the 'informal economy' in Spain. I take your point, Roberto, I agree on it   ...   but will Sr. Prime Minister? I distrust unemployment figures as they are transparently absurd; subject to imaginative number crunching in the UK and Spain and elsewhere. They are wholly unreliable as an indicator of the true situation.

I recall a time when my home city of Liverpool was (statistically) a basket case, an unemployment blackspot and as such the happy recipient of enormous EU investment. It was a puzzle to me as the city's economy was obviously buoyant. The stores in Church and Lord Steets' were more profitable that London's Oxford Street. The Jaguar main dealers at Knotty Ash was selling more cars than any other Jaguar main dealers, inc' London.

A young joiner explained it to me. Liverpool has its own economy; very little actually goes through the till, therefore it is unrecorded. I asked a builder friend, who was in the system, how much he made a year. About fifty-grand; how much did he declare? £20k.  On paper the poor bugger was in the workhouse but in fact he was doing well. That is why there are statistics   ...   you know the rest of the story.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

LOOKING FOR A LONG TERM RENT IN ELVIRIA - 0 posts
Irish Passport Renewal - 1 posts
Car Tax in Spain - 4 posts
Spain: The Tenants Paradise - 17 posts
mango - 10 posts
KARENSUN WHERE ARE YOU !!! - 0 posts
HPI checks - 3 posts
ryanair-captcha code security problem when booking flights - 4 posts
nautilus restaurant torrevieja - 0 posts
thanks for a great holiday Jelco - 0 posts
Translation! A Bright Idea? - 7 posts
Long term rent in Santa Maria - 2 posts
telephone problems - 0 posts
Ryanair-Granada- A Return to Sleepy Hollow...¡hasta la vista Vaquero... - 0 posts
Looking for comfortable, convenient rental for the summer - 1 posts
New Spanish TV channels - 0 posts
Reducing Road Deaths - 6 posts
Car Tourism is Over? - 0 posts
Carshare to Alicante and Murcia - 1 posts
Horizontal Law - Voting when you own multiple properties - 16 posts
It’s official. There are 12,697 illegal properties in the Almanzora Valley - 23 posts
DOUBLE BED FRAME AND MATTRESS FOR SALE - 0 posts
Single Bed For Sale - 1 posts
Golf club rental near Vall del Este - 0 posts
This is amazing - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x