Reducing Road Deaths

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Mar 2011 12:00 AM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

With so many youngsters dying and being horribly injured in car crashes, mostly down to inexperience, over confidence and I suppose the ‘it couldn’t happen to me’ factor; surely television could do more to reduce the dreadful toll.

Jeremy Clarkson can be blokishly amusing but why not a program that sets driver against driver to earn maximum points (and prizes) for genuinely good driving. For instance pick drivers to do a monitored problematic route and see who gets the most points for sensible, safe and legal driving.

You could have boys against girls; different age groups, students against students, mums against dads; professionals. Cities could compete against cities, a bit like University Challenge. I bet it would be great fun with many benefits. It would save a lot of lives and awful injuries.

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
11 Mar 2011 7:21 PM by Comadreja Star rating in the Sierra de Cadiz. 51 posts Send private message

Comadreja´s avatar

Aren´t they doing some scheme where kids get lower insurance if there is CCTV in the car so their parents can check their driving?

The drawback with the competition idea is that they all presumably know how to drive safely, otherwise they wouldn't have passed their test.  It's getting them to drive like that all the time that's the problem!

On Spanish TV news they show the mangled bodies of accident victims on the highway.  They should do that in the UK too.

Like 0      
11 Mar 2011 8:06 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4552 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

If my parents had been able to see what went on in my 1968 Triumph Herald at weekends, they would have had a heart attack. And nothing to do with my boy-racer driving

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
11 Mar 2011 8:12 PM by mike_walsh Star rating in Torrevieja. 594 posts Send private message

mike_walsh´s avatar

I am still not sure which was the most risky and potentially expensive; the front or the back seat. Rather reminds me of the young lady who asked her doctor which was the best position to adopt when giving birth. He replied; the same as you adopted when you conceived. She asked: "Will I have to have one foot outside of each window then too?'

Russian - English Translations, Copywriting and Ghostwiting. Check my Website or email keyboardcosmetics@gmail.com for details

www.keyboardcosmetics.com

Like 0      
11 Mar 2011 8:14 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

Well, I'm doing my best to keep death off the roads.  I've stopped the missus from driving!

Like 0      
11 Mar 2011 8:18 PM by gemini11 Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

i think its a good idea that you cant hire a car in spain till your 21. i dont know anything about young spanish drivers but my 18 year old son when he passed his test in order to get insurance at 2,700 pounds, had to comit to having a trakker in his car fitted so if he moves the car between 11pm and 5am my bank card is charged 60 pounds! and he also had to take his pass plus 6 more hours in a car up and down the m6 into birmingham and back at a cost of 120 pounds. i think this is a good idea it gives them more skills. i wouldnt have been so eager for him to drive so young but he got a fantastic apprenticeship offer at a place where there is no public transport to, so he had to learn.

Like 0      
11 Mar 2011 10:34 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

quote...You could have boys against girls; different age groups, students against students, mums against dads; professionals. Cities could compete against cities, a bit like University Challenge...

Nope, I don't think it would work. As soon as you intrduce an element of competition, all the rules go out of the window. Human nature; I've got to do better than he / she did, oh... bloody hell where did that bus come from...screech of brakes... KERUNCH.

quote...they all presumably know how to drive safely, otherwise they wouldn't have passed their test...

No again unfortunately; they have been taught how to pass the test which is a different thing altogether.

quote...With so many youngsters dying and being horribly injured in car crashes, mostly down to inexperience, over confidence and I suppose the ‘it couldn’t happen to me’ factor; surely television could do more to reduce the dreadful toll...

quote...On Spanish TV news they show the mangled bodies of accident victims on the highway.  They should do that in the UK too...

Totally agree, but wasnt that RoSPA Hard Hitting road safety film made about 5 years ago in Wales banned in the UK because the PC brigade thought it too gory and realistic?

The biggest killer on the road is Complacency;   I'm sure we've all done it at some point, particularly long haul commuters like myself. You drive the same route every day for 15 years, to and from work, 65-70 miles each way (although the distance isnt too relevant) and you arrive at your destination and think I don't remember passing such and such a landmark or waypoint on that trip...and the thought comes into your head  'What was I doing?'

When you mix complacency with inexperience then you have a recipe for disaster, literally 'An accident looking for somewhere to Happen'

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Car Tourism is Over? - 0 posts
Carshare to Alicante and Murcia - 1 posts
Horizontal Law - Voting when you own multiple properties - 16 posts
It’s official. There are 12,697 illegal properties in the Almanzora Valley - 23 posts
DOUBLE BED FRAME AND MATTRESS FOR SALE - 0 posts
Single Bed For Sale - 1 posts
Golf club rental near Vall del Este - 0 posts
This is amazing - 3 posts
Manure - 0 posts
Best Way to Ship A Camera USA to Spain ? - 2 posts
Re-sale but no Habitaion Licence ! - 10 posts
Do you, or would you, buy any Spain magazines? Feedback please! - 19 posts
sports funding taking a hit - 1 posts
Brand new mountain bike for sale - 2 posts
Spanish Choir Wanted to Join in Almeria - 0 posts
Is this real? - 11 posts
Middle Brow Lifestyle (on the Sol) - 13 posts
water charges - 0 posts
Petrol Prices! - 6 posts
Free Seminar on Health, Work & Pensions for Expats by the British Consulate Malaga - 0 posts
vista hermosa - 0 posts
The Weather! Has the Cat got your Tongues? - 12 posts
Property Rentals: I have a Cunning Plan - 5 posts
Baltic States: Flights - 8 posts
Teleast Digital - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x