Certificate of habitation for a finca needing total restoration - query

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
28 Jan 2011 12:00 AM by Finca-in-Spain Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hello Maria or anybody who can advise!

We are considering of buying a finca with some land in a rural area in Aragon.  It has a building that an English family began to restore a few years ago; the property was probably advertised as "needing total restoration".  That is, the building was still standing, not just ruins.  There are architect's drawings and permits in place and the exterior has been restored and about half of the inside is habitable. The family was living in the building when they had to return to the UK last year for family reasons and are now selling the finca. 

We have just discovered that the building does not have a habitation certificate and presume this would only be granted once the rest of the rooms inside are habitable.  Do you anticipate any problems with obtaining the certificate?  Who provides the licence and what paperwork is required?  How much does it cost?  Or does the property need LFO (Licence of First Occupation)?  If yes, is this more complicated and more difficult to obtain?  Do we need to worry?  Is our dream about to end in fiasco before it even started?

Many thanks.  

This message was last edited by Finca-in-Spain on 28/01/2011.

Like 0      
02 Feb 2011 10:26 AM by Fairway Lawyers Star rating. 48 posts Send private message

Hi,

Be careful and make sure that it is possible to finish the restoration works and that there is no objection concerning the works carried out in the property, as if they were done without planning permission the town hall might have something to say about it.

The Master Plan is the document that lays down the applicable rules for building and rebuilding, therefore you should check first at the town hall IN WRITING whether it is possible to carry out the restoration you seek and also if there is any illegallity in the works already carried out.

Yours,

A.M,

Like 0      
02 Feb 2011 12:43 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Yes, Finca-in-Spain, as Fairway has said, ,ake sure on the legal ststus of the works in the Planning department of the Local Council.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
07 Feb 2011 9:19 PM by Finca-in-Spain Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Many thanks for your replies.  We have now seen the finca and the building is nowhere near ready and although there was a building licence, it has now exprired.  I don't think the family followed the plans when they began restoring it.  The property agent arranged for a local architect to check the building against the plans.  It should be possible to extend the building licence, but it will cost quite a lot of money to put it right and complete it .  After that a habitation certificate will be issued.  We have not yet decided if we want to go ahead with the purchase.  If we do, we will instruct the architect to sort things out and negotiate an extension to the building licence, before we complete on the purchase.  We have been advised that it is possible to put an extension of the building licence as a condition of purchase in the deposit contract, so we wil not lose our deposit if it is not possible to extend the licence. 

If anyone needs a bi-lingual, competent architect working in southern Catalunia and Teruel province of Aragon, I can give her contact details.

This message was last edited by Finca-in-Spain on 07/02/2011.

Like 0      
08 Feb 2011 4:43 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

good solution!

M

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
08 Feb 2011 9:05 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

From my experience be careful. I bought a 3 ha finca with a ruin. I had no problem getting ayuntamiento permission to do up the ruin. Got an architect to draw up plans. Got a builder, (mayors drinking buddy), to build me a beautiful little cottage. But this is a different matter from getting permission to live in it. A lot of fincas in my area - Extremadura - had buildings which were used for storage and maybe for the peasant landowner to sleep in during harvest time. This is a different thing from residence. The ayuntamiento know I live in my cottage and don't seem to mind. (I went into this eyes wide open and have no complaints). Meanwhile I have a set of plans in train for a house elsewhere on the property. But while  this has been rubber stamped by ayuntamiento, it has to go to the junta in Merida for approval as we are what they call an area of outstanding beauty. (La Vera, Caceres). The junta are a different kettle of fish and my architect and they have batted letters back and forth for over a year. To go back to my ruin, I got electricity connected (15k euros) but only because it was agricultural land - to make it look kosher i went for 3 phase, as I got funny looks from Iberdrola, so I told them I needed electricity for a  fish farm. They told me that if I wanted luz just to live in the cottage  they couldn't do it because I didn't have a habitation certificate.  As a matter of interest, have you got plenty of water? This is pivotal. If there is a well, toss a submersible pump (50 euros any ferreteria) down it and drain it. See how much water and how long to refil. Anything less than 1000 litres a day you will struggle to run a small house, let alone a garden. Don't believe anything the seller tells you about water. Ask neighbours about boreholes. I drilled a 100m one and have enough water for the fictional fish farm. Water is everything.

Like 0      
09 Feb 2011 12:52 AM by Finca-in-Spain Star rating. 4 posts Send private message

Hi Guy,

Thanks you very much for your very helpful advice.  I believe there was a farmhouse on the land, rather than a barn (almacén) which is meant for storage and occassional sleep-overs by the farmers at harvest-time, etc.  However, I will have this checked.  In Aragon, in most areas it is even possible to build new houses in rural areas and obtain a habitation licence, unlike in Cataluna where we first looked to buy.

Your advice about the well is very good.  We have been concerned about the water and getting a well, as there is only a cisterna at the moment. A water-diviner has checked the finca for water and has reported that a 40-metre well is needed, but I take your point about a deeper well. There is irrigation water about 500 metres from the finca and we are waiting for a reply about the possibility of connecting to it.  It probably is quite expensive, though.

Many thanks, much appreciated!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Baking on order - 1 posts
Pigeons...... - 6 posts
New "Search" Bar - 2 posts
President & Committee Guidelines - 1 posts
Directions from Alicante Airport to Vera Playa - 1 posts
WiFi in Spain - 0 posts
Excellent Spanish Lawyer - 2 posts
new resident in velez malaga - 0 posts
Military Service - 1 posts
Padron - 76 posts
Pelayo Insurance company - 0 posts
Washing Machines, Inverters and generators - 10 posts
Hospital Quiron Malaga - 2 posts
Lunchtime Surf - 3 posts
Navarre Appeal Court says Banks have no rights.... - 4 posts
Qualified Boiler Technician Needed Murcia - 0 posts
property management inland murcia - 1 posts
The Bank cannot execute further than the mortgaged house - 6 posts
EOS in IE8 has gone a bit squiffy! - 13 posts
FOR SALE MOTHERCARE MOSES BASKET and lots of baby clothes, equipment and toys - Javea Costa Blanca - 0 posts
BARGAIN FOR SALE BMW 645CI coupe Right Hand DRive Every extra conceivable ONLY 20,000 Euro - 0 posts
BARGAIN - FOR SALE NISSAN NOTE 1.4 LHD 3500 EUROS IN JAVEA, COSTA BLANCA - 1 posts
Increase of rent due to IPC/CPI - spanish one or not - 3 posts
Ocean View Properties - 3 posts
Community fee help - 9 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x