Agua Potable o no !

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Oct 2010 12:00 AM by shadow754 Star rating in La Alpujarra, Granad.... 29 posts Send private message

I moved to La Alpujarra nearly nine years ago, and now I wouldn't be anywhere else, but my biggest gripe, is that we still do not have drinking water. The Ayuntamiento will tell you it is potable, but everyone in the village goes with their containers to the Spring to get drinking water, because that which comes through our taps ranges in colour and texture from clear with particles in it, all the way through to grey sludge during heavy rain.

Apparently the Ayuntamiento were given EU money years ago to install a water treatment centre, but it was never built, they just add chlorine to the water that is supplied, and think that is sufficient. I have installed a filter system with a separate tap, But even with that, when we get around to the grey sludge, I have to give up and buy bottled water.

In this day and age, clean water does not seem a lot to ask for! My complaints to both the Ayuntamiento and the Authorities go unanswered, so it appears they do not agree.

Like 0      
22 Oct 2010 10:27 AM by JeanMalaga Star rating in Malaga. 7 posts Send private message

I could be blowing this right out the water (pun intended) but the 28 July the UN declared that clean, safe and water sanitation is a basic human right.

So I take it that Spain is part of the United Nations, have voted in the assembly and therefore has to adhere to the regulations. Although politics being what it is nowadays, I suspect the only way to achieve some sort of result is for your village to act and sign a partition that declares the water unsafe and not easily accesible?

Like 0      
22 Oct 2010 11:25 AM by Tumbit Star rating in Costa Blanca. 71 posts Send private message

Tumbit´s avatar

I suppose it comes down to what is considered 'Potable'.

- It could be argued that the Grey/ Brown sludge may actually be fit for Human consumption - just that it does not look, smell or taste particlularly nice, and that a series of filters would remedy this. I'm not saying that this will be the case, but it may be that the EU is guaranteeing  SAFE  drinking water - not 'nice looking / tasting / smelling water'.

My village has a water supply that IS all of those things, but the locals still have a preference from climbing up the hillside most mornings to get their spring water.

Like 0      
22 Oct 2010 4:15 PM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Perhaps an independant analysis would help your case?

Poppyseed

Like 0      
22 Oct 2010 6:11 PM by GuyT Star rating. 511 posts Send private message

Any pharmacia in Spain will get your water testedas  it's a legally requirement for anyone with a pozo to get it tested. They'll give you a bottle to fill, they won't use yours in case it's contaminated. It costs about 50 euros and takes a week or so. Also, for the same coat you can get the UK Forestry people to do a very extensive test. I would be surprised if the ayuntamiento is providing non-potable water. As someone said, it's probably just turbid. The locals like using spring water regardless of the normal supply. It doesn't mean the mains water isn't safe. They just like spring water.

Like 0      
22 Oct 2010 8:26 PM by shadow754 Star rating in La Alpujarra, Granad.... 29 posts Send private message

Thanks for your opinions, safe or not, I can assure you our water comes direct from the borehole with no intervention other than added chlorine.

It is that safe the Ayuntamiento turned the water supply off for three days over last Christmas because they thought we would get dysentry.

The locals must really love their spring water to queue up in pouring rain to get bottles of water... no, here it is because the water is not drinkable, and it is the local Spaniards that tell you not to drink it. Maybe one day....

Like 0      
23 Oct 2010 1:21 AM by Poppyseed Star rating. 897 posts Send private message

Well then for goodness sake be proactive and  get the bloody water tested....

Poppyseed

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Dumbstruck!! - 1 posts
Kia Sportage 4wd 4900 eur - 1 posts
BBC One HD - 3rd November 2010 - 4 posts
Roof Beams Protection- Help Needed! - 5 posts
english will- spanish bank - 7 posts
Hi to everyone........ - 3 posts
Somebody pooped in the garage - 7 posts
Watch out! New Telefonica or Movistar Scam! - 2 posts
documents of car - 2 posts
Embargo on property - 6 posts
No puedo publicar - 2 posts
electrical goods why so expensive? - 4 posts
Wanted second hand Freezer - 0 posts
Proxy votes at community meetings for absent owners - 9 posts
Please help me to my problem.. - 1 posts
Autonomo - 27 posts
For Sale - FC400 Cross Trainer Exercise Machine - 0 posts
LLoyds Bank Charges - 1 posts
Does anyone know how to stop calls from 912 868 399?? - 3 posts
wanted - shipping container - 3 posts
Moto X Bike - 1 posts
Electricity problems - 7 posts
Topping up mobiles - 8 posts
white goods - 0 posts
Electrical Goods - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x