Now I know what the Spanish really think of the Brits

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Oct 2010 12:00 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Our urb up in the coto de Vera was a little isolated with only a supermarket and a closed down bar. One derelict bar opened up and was good fun, then a new one was built a bit closer to tour urb. I have frequented regularly and thought I got on well with the owner, even though he speaks no English and my Spanish is still poor.

Anyway, they adopted a stray dog, lovely little thing and very affectionate. I keep joking about bringing him home with us. Every time we go to the bar we seek out the dog and take him a little present of biscuits and such like. Anyway, on Thursday evening, I was outside stroking the dog when the bar owners young grandaughter came out, (she is about 2.5- 3 years) and starting spitting on the dog. Because I was stroking the dog, she began spitting at me too. I was a little taken aback and complained to the bar owner and the girl's parents. Result? They laughed at me, said it was funny and she was only young!!

So, there it is. This owner thinks that Brits are no better than the dogs they mistreat, so i'm afraid he won't be seeing any more of my hard earned cash.

Mark

Like 0      
16 Oct 2010 1:43 PM by meggie Star rating in England. 114 posts Send private message

Yes, Markfish, and isn't it a horrible feeling to come to realise that we as 'foreigners' are only tollerated and spoken to in a friendly manner as long as we are SPENDING MONEY in the local shops and bars.  We had our own experiences whilst spending last winter (5 months) in Spain and, suffice to say, my Spanish is good enough to have really understood what was going on.  The final straw was when my back was deliberately pushed into with a supermarket trolley by an elderly Spanish 'gentleman'.  This hurt me so badly I screamed...and not one Spaniard asked me what was wrong or even if I was OK.  The Spanish 'gentleman' just pretended it hadn't happened and walked off, throwing a look of disgust at me, even though I asked' 'Why did you do this?'

We won't be going back to Spain again.  I have since researched and found many similar stories and articles that have put me off the idea, culminating in this statement from a Spaniard, 'All property and land in Spain belongs to the Spaniards.  British and other foreigner buyers only have loan of it for as long as we allow it'.

We will be spending this winter on the Algarve.  The Portuguese actually LIKE us!

Mag

Like 0      
16 Oct 2010 2:06 PM by angela59 Star rating in Ireland. 58 posts Send private message

Hi,

Sorry to hear that - I haven't had too many bad experiences there - spanish people jumping the que was the most.  Have to say when in restaurants and supermarkets - I find the staff helpful and friendly and will always greet you and they seem very efficient! Once outside El Muelle a restaurant in Torrevieja my husband and I and kids were waiting to be seated and the waiter ignored us - so I moved my business elsewhere and won't go back to that restaurant.  The worst experience I had as believe it or not in an upmarket english restuarnt in Villamartin the staff who were all english were absolutely appaling - no apology whatsoever.  I must say I love going to spain but we go to the same area all the time as we have an apartment there and so far not too many bad experience that would put me off going.  Here in Ireland people can also be rude - you have to take the good with the bad - but in the situation of the first poster - I would have translated into spanish how you felt because if you don't how are they going to know and won't learn from the situation!

Angela59

Like 0      
16 Oct 2010 3:50 PM by floella Star rating in SE Spain. 803 posts Send private message

Agree the parents should have admonished their offspring and certainly apologised to you but don't think Marksfish, as the title of your thread suggests,  it was because you are Brit.     I have seen many a Spaniard stroke a dog they thought was cute and the child being little more than a baby would not be able to tell the difference regardless of hearing you speak.  

Although the kids seem to 'run riot' I can honestly say that where I live the Spanish adults could not be friendlier or more helpful. Not just to me but all the Brits I know here have nothing but praise for this local community. Would it change if the locals felt they were being outnumbered?  Just like in certain areas of the UK I suspect so.

Once did have an incident in Huercal-Overa when a man purposly knocked over  a friend I was with but immediately several Spanish passing by came to her rescue some apologising for what happened.

Don't discredit a nation on the odd rotten apple.

Like 0      
16 Oct 2010 4:06 PM by bbbreakfast Star rating in Bristol and Playa Fl.... 56 posts Send private message

bbbreakfast´s avatar

Bad manners are not restricted to nationality I am afraid, one must remember that cultural differencies are as big a problem as language and as a visitor to Spain I always take this into account.

I have noticed that spitting by adults in public seems common practice and therefore similar actions by a child shoud not come as a surprise, however unpleasant it is to our culture.

However I think the first poster is correct if you are unhappy take your custom elswhere but do let the owner know the reason for your decision and perhaps an apology will be forhcoming.

I love Spain warts and all Life is an adventure so enjoy.

Bbb

Like 0      
16 Oct 2010 5:24 PM by buildersteve Star rating in alhaurin el grande. 28 posts Send private message

i wouldnt let the odd incident get you down too much ,iam sure overtime living in spain you will realise that we are not that different. and you will definately find more positive than negative about the spanish people. and certainly once you interact more and try to speak the language more [however bad it is ] you will find them to be very friendly and welcoming.

Like 0      
16 Oct 2010 5:45 PM by Tumbit Star rating in Costa Blanca. 71 posts Send private message

Tumbit´s avatar

No, you just 'think' you know what one Spaniard thinks about the British. Not quite the same thing.

Like 0      
16 Oct 2010 5:49 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Maybe it was a bit of a generalisation to put Spanish in the thread and should have put local Spanish instead. It hasn't put me off Spain, just felt so p+ssed off witht he thing that I voted with my feet.

I have noticed that spitting by adults in public seems common practice and therefore similar actions by a child shoud not come as a surprise, however unpleasant it is to our culture.

Yes, but spitting at someone is far worse than on the pavement. The first time I let it go with a stern look, but the second & third time, enough was enough. There was an English speaking Spaniard in the bar at that time who translated for me. This is when they all laughed. Hilarious!!!!

Mark

Like 0      
16 Oct 2010 6:00 PM by shadow754 Star rating in La Alpujarra, Granad.... 29 posts Send private message

I am glad that you decided to narrow the margin a little Marksfish, but I think you are still generalising, you said yourself a local helped you out by translating, they can't all be bad there.

Like many others, I can only praise the Locals around me, they have accepted me with open arms, like in all places there are the odd ones that pull a face, but on the whole, I find them a very friendly bunch, and I accept that I am the immigrant here!

Like 0      
16 Oct 2010 6:43 PM by haydngj Star rating in ALGORFA. 403 posts Send private message

haydngj´s avatar

Marksfish what a shallow mind, all Spanish dislike all Brits, if we all thought like him perhaps they would.

Like 0      
16 Oct 2010 8:17 PM by pilgrim Star rating in Costa Calida. 231 posts Send private message

pilgrim´s avatar

Marksfish,

I read your thread and I am absolutely disgusted that so-called parents would allow their offspring to spit anywhere, especially at a person.

I try very hard and I mean hard to tolerate the very different culture here in Spain. I love the country, came here mainly for health reasons and now have no wish whatsoever to return to the U.K. There is a rugged beauty here, that always astounds me! I have made and still make attempts to speak the language, without the tenses, I might add.

My upbringing, in London, with working class parents, was nothing special to my mind but when I compare (which is totally wrong of course) the leeway children here seem to have, it makes me cringe!!

I think we must remember that life before democracy here was VERY different. The comparative freedom enjoyed now must be a heady delight for many people of the older generation, with some, I am told, that still find it hard to adjust and make their own decisions!!

We never had those sort of restrictions on our lives, so maybe we should accept the attitudes and behaviour, albeit grudgingly?

pilgrim

Like 0      
16 Oct 2010 9:21 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Marksfish what a shallow mind, all Spanish dislike all Brits, if we all thought like him perhaps they would.

Perhaps haydngj, you should read the thread in full, before you also generalise and accuse me of being shallow, so please get off your high horse. You will see (as have a majority replying) that I was referring to Spanish in this particular bar and to a particularly disgusting incident..

For the record the title does not state ALL SPANISH, neither does it state ALL BRITS. It wasn't intended to be a confrontational post, but a reaction to an incident in a particular Spanish area. However as on other threads on this forum lately, there ar people out ther just looking to jump on the derogatory comments or just looking for a fight. Fine, if you're happy to be spat upon, good for you!

Mark

Like 0      
16 Oct 2010 9:46 PM by haydngj Star rating in ALGORFA. 403 posts Send private message

haydngj´s avatar

Having read your first post again I must say how sorry i am and hope you will forgive me for jumping to the wrong concusion. I f there can be an excuse for me it is the way the media like to report how bad the Spanish are. I have been in Sain for some time now and have had  a small amount of abuse here but never as much as I have encounterd in the U.K. The drunken youths  in most towns,big and small, make me ashamed to be  British at times. They are the minority that we as Bits are judged all over the globe

I must say sorrry again

Like 0      
16 Oct 2010 9:58 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I would accept that we as Brits also have a bad reputation abroad and the Spanish a bad rep at home, unfortunately that is the way the cookie has crumbled and it will take a lot for reputations to be repaired. It was never an intention to generalise the whole of Spain, it was just annoying to find this attitude from people we thought we had become friendly with. I have no wish to bash the Spanish, I have found 99% of them to be friendly and accommodating.

Thank you Haydn for the apology, I try to stay out of threads where a lot of niggles are thrown around, I wasn't looking forward to being the one that started one of those threads. I am glad that we can all remain friends now 

Mark

Like 0      
16 Oct 2010 10:14 PM by buildersteve Star rating in alhaurin el grande. 28 posts Send private message

Hi marksfish

I think you have just summed up what a forum is about. Its good to air opinions from time to time and this is the whole point of this. Totally understand where you are coming from. Dont give up there are really good people here and as for the children they are normally sorted out by the grandparents, i still find that the vast majority are very respectfull .

Like 0      
16 Oct 2010 10:21 PM by haydngj Star rating in ALGORFA. 403 posts Send private message

haydngj´s avatar

I think the title of this thread led to my comments, perhaps  a little change in the title would be best. Thank you for accepting my snicere appology

Like 0      
17 Oct 2010 10:21 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Well, I'm glad this thread has gone back on track.

Spitting is quite common here and it doesn't tend to be overly frowned upon.  I have to say though, that I've never seen anyone spat at so as parents they should have said something.

But kids tend to do what their parents do so she probably sees her parents doing it all the time.

There will always be plenty of Spaniards who don't like the Brits.  In fact, many tell me that they were better off under Franco so that shows some of the attitudes we are dealing with here.

I was at a local bar the other day chatting with an English friend about lots of stuff, including the local property market.  As we left I heard the Spanish women on the table next to us have a laugh at us thinking we were estate agents.  They were laughing at he fact that we must be skint now.

Being fluent in Spanish I understood perfectly what they were saying but I let them have their laugh.  It is my regular bar so I didn't want to start an argument in there.  The owners of the bar are actually really friendly to any nationality that goes in there.

Anyway, there will always be issues and there is bitterness towards to the Brits for driving up property prices.  Some tend to forget that we have plouhged huge amounts of money into what were very poor areas before and created thousands of jobs.

There's no point getting upset about it though.  It used to bother me but it doesn't any more.  It's just a fact of life in Spain.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
17 Oct 2010 6:50 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

We spent the afternoon yesterday with the owners of our favourite Spanish bar, helping them celebrate their daughter´s 18th birthday. We felt honoured and privileged to be asked to join them. They consider us more than friends and that´s the way we see them.

Everybody is an individual, whatever nationality, colour or creed, some you like, some you don´t, some are absolutely wonderful.

Irene & Alan

Like 0      
17 Oct 2010 10:41 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Justin's comment reminds me of when we lived in Mallorca and constantly heard the locals complaining that the Germans had forced property prices up so much that their grandchildren had no hope of getting on the property ladder now. They seemed to forget that it was them who sold their property at vastly inflated prices and went from peasant farmers to spoilt rich fat cats in one generation. What goes around comes around.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
18 Oct 2010 1:13 PM by JeanMalaga Star rating in Malaga. 7 posts Send private message

Not being a "Brit" perhaps it does not relate to me, but I have had good and bad experiences with the way I have been treated in Spain. Although I look at it as simply being human regardless of nationality or background.

I spend a few months a year in Spain and those months majority of the time I am very welcomed but again as many agree I had my run in with a few bad apples.

Needless to say, Spain is a wonderful country and to allow the odd bad experience ruin your outlook should be avoided. Live and let live :)

Like 0      

Pages: 1 | 2 | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Air Conditioning Intallation Engineers - Granada City Area - 0 posts
Important changes to BBC TV frequencies this weekend - 8 posts
new to this,be gentle - 0 posts
Strike in France again - 5 posts
Air Strikes - 4 posts
VOLVO S40 D5 - 0 posts
Flight cancellations!! What happened to you? - 4 posts
POPPY APPEAL 2010 - THE ROYAL BRITISH LEGION IN SPAIN - 0 posts
absolutely shocking - 14 posts
Easyjet flights for 2011 - 11 posts
Restaurante Chikito, Granada - 2 posts
Newbie! - 1 posts
Hi there Everyone. - 1 posts
European Type Approval - 7 posts
banks - 2 posts
hello everyone - 4 posts
marbella/pgou/license - 0 posts
Spain Area Guides - 4 posts
Question on Busot in Costa Blanca North as a place to live - 2 posts
Just a simple hello from me. - 12 posts
Golf at Medina Elvira - 0 posts
car insurance in spain - 2 posts
Maternity services on Costa Blanca...experiences - 1 posts
Discount El Corte Ingles vouchers - 0 posts
Self employed book seller trialling new life in Spain needs help and advice! - 11 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 25

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x