Important changes to BBC TV frequencies this weekend

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 Oct 2010 12:00 AM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

Important changes to BBC TV frequencies this weekend

There are some important changes happening on the BBC frequencies:

BBC1 West (Bristol)
BBC1 Channel Islands
BBC1 East (West) (Cambridge)

are all leaving their current frequency, and moving to the frequency currently used by BBC2 England - 10773 H
This means that their reception will be as per BBC2 England.
This means that BBC Channel Islands will no longer be recognised as being the strongest BBC1 region.

BBC1 Manchester
BBC1 Leeds
BBC 1 Tunbridge Wells

are all leaving their current frequency, and moving to the frequency currently used by BBC RAdio 5 Live and BBC1&2 Scotland - 10.802 H
This means that their reception will again be as per / similar to BBC2 England.

BBC1 Wales and BBC2 Wales

will be moving from their current frequency to 10.788v - moving from a weaker horizontal to a stronger vertical frequency. So these Wales regions reception will be as per most BBC21 regions ie - almost 24/7 on most big dishes. Meaning some areas will have 24/7 reception of a BBC2 region.

BBC1 Northern Ireland and BBC2 Northern Ireland

will be moving from their current frequency to 10.817v - moving from a weaker horizontal to a stronger vertical frequency. So these Northern Ireland regions reception will be as per most BBC21 regions ie - almost 24/7 on most big dishes. Meaning some areas will have 24/7 reception of a BBC2 region.

Why the changes?
The BBC have had to have a move around to amke space for the BBC1 HD channel.
This will be starting on Wednesday 3rd November.
The BBC had to make space for this channel, which will be on the same frequency as BBCHD channel.
The BBCHD channel will continue to operate showing "the best of the BBC in HD", and the BBC1 HD channel will be a simulcast of BBC1 London.

It will mean that if you watch BBC1 Channel Islands, then you will find that its reception has changed.

It will also mean that you should now have much better coverage of BBC2, either via BBC2 England (reception not changing), BBC2 Northern Ireland, and BBC2 Wales. The latter two regions have almost the same schedules as BBC2 England, with some minor changes for regional programmes.

Freesat and Sky boxes will automatically update themselves on Monday 18th October 2010 with these new frequencies.

Those wil Non Sky or Freesay boxes will have to rescan the channels to make sure your boxes have the new BBC1 and BBC2 frequencies.

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
16 Oct 2010 10:22 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2627 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

I have noticed the frequencies have changed already on my box in the UK. I was watching BBC2 this afternoon on 102, went to change it using the channel up/ down button and found I was now on channel 991!! (somewhere round there anyway)

Mark

Like 0      
14 Oct 2011 9:33 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

Recent changes (presumably) have meant that the BBC streaming channels have moved. I can no longer access any streams on my Astra2 which deny me the delights previouslyafforded. Can Satandpcguy or anyone else  help me regain my sanity PLEASE!

I have rescanned Astra2 to no avail.

Like 0      
15 Oct 2011 9:02 AM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

If you have rescanned Astra 2 then you will have found them on their new frequency.

The have moved to 11954H, the frequency recently vacated by BBC News as part of their cost cutting measures that saw the BBC close the old "stream frequency". They are the channels labelled 6711 - 6715.

Whereas the old Streams were only available via a BBC Channel, and were not available to add a 2other channels" on a sky box, these new "red button streams" can currently be added to a sky box

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
15 Oct 2011 11:15 AM by knj Star rating in Costa Blanca. 79 posts Send private message

I have rescanned my Humax box but still cannot find the BBC News Channel (used to be channel 200).  Any ideas?

Like 0      
15 Oct 2011 11:24 AM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

BBC News is still on Freesat channel 200 - there has been no change in channel number

Only frequency.

A Humax Freesat box will automatically update frequencies - but sometimes a new Freesat scan will pick it up.

However, BBC News is now on a MUCH WEAKER signal that it was before. If you are able to receive BBC2 England, then you should be able to receive BBC News - as they are on similar frequencies. IF you are unable to reeive BBC2 England, then you will not be able to receive BBC News. So reception of BBC NEws depends on your location and dish size, which, may now be too small to receive BBC News.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
15 Oct 2011 12:43 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

Satandpcguy

Thanks for your response. It looks as if the strength of the streams is also reduced, as I get "no signal". I only have a 1.4m dish.

Fortunately I get all BBC etc on the web thanks to Expatshield, but the streamed live was useful for the sport.

I am not a user of Sky.

Like 0      
15 Oct 2011 3:11 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

It looks as if the strength of the streams is also reduced, as I get "no signal". I only have a 1.4m dish.

No. Their new frequency is the same strength as before - both south beam frequencies.

If you can get BBC Radio 2 then you will get the streams - they are on the same frequency.

If you used to get BBC News then you will get the streams - as the streams are now on the frequency recently vacated by BBC News.

You may not be able to receive the BBC NEws channel now, due to its move to a much weaker than before frequency.

The frequency is a nice and "expat friendly" one, similar reception to Sky News, so you should have no problems on a 1.4m dish - I can get them on my sky minidish I have here!). If you are then you have an issue with your LNB or reciever (Sky grundig boxes on their way out show no signal on this frequency!)

Sky user of not, it makes no difference, as BBC channels have been free to air (no card requried) for several years now.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
15 Oct 2011 7:43 PM by marcbernard Star rating in Marina Alta; Alicant.... 254 posts Send private message

Thanks for your further information. I have now found the channels as numbered and all is now in order. Best wishes.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

new to this,be gentle - 0 posts
Strike in France again - 5 posts
Air Strikes - 4 posts
VOLVO S40 D5 - 0 posts
Flight cancellations!! What happened to you? - 4 posts
POPPY APPEAL 2010 - THE ROYAL BRITISH LEGION IN SPAIN - 0 posts
absolutely shocking - 14 posts
Easyjet flights for 2011 - 11 posts
Restaurante Chikito, Granada - 2 posts
Newbie! - 1 posts
Hi there Everyone. - 1 posts
European Type Approval - 7 posts
banks - 2 posts
hello everyone - 4 posts
marbella/pgou/license - 0 posts
Spain Area Guides - 4 posts
Question on Busot in Costa Blanca North as a place to live - 2 posts
Just a simple hello from me. - 12 posts
Golf at Medina Elvira - 0 posts
car insurance in spain - 2 posts
Maternity services on Costa Blanca...experiences - 1 posts
Discount El Corte Ingles vouchers - 0 posts
Self employed book seller trialling new life in Spain needs help and advice! - 11 posts
Personal Loans - 10 posts
Position Required - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x