Santander to San javier

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
16 May 2010 12:00 AM by ms51 Star rating in uk/Los Alcazares. 100 posts Send private message

Hi All,

Am driving to Spain in a few weeks ferry docks in Santander,anyone got a good route that by-passes Madrid,I have heard it a nightmare to drive through. And maybe I should avoid toll roads,unless they are more direct,any help and advice would be great

Like 0      
16 May 2010 5:02 PM by foxbat Star rating in Granada. 1112 posts Send private message

foxbat´s avatar

Hi...

Difficult to avoid Madrid altogether but Madrid is surrounded by a series of motorway standard ring roads. Use viamichelin.com as your map source. This utilises the outermost ring road, the M50 passing between the airport at Barajas and the Spanish Airforce base at Torrejon. Its a hectic but good route...

The link provided above uses Santander as a start point and San Javier as a finishing point and is the viamichelin recommended route.

There ia an alternate route described which does bypass Madrid totally but is a longer route and involves a detour through Valencia before picking up the AP7 toll route.

Hope this helps

fb

http://www.facebook.com/ruido.blanco.773

Like 0      
16 May 2010 5:14 PM by ms51 Star rating in uk/Los Alcazares. 100 posts Send private message

Thanks so much Foxbat,not looking forward to the drive,we will do a couple of hours each,I have only driven in Spain twice in 4 years,have left it to hubby,BUT will now have to do my bit.Thanks again.

Like 0      
16 May 2010 10:12 PM by Daisymil Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

We have just arrived via Santander to San Javier, it is the second time we have done it.  I love the journey and the ferry was wonderful too. 

We invested in a Tom Tom and it was well worth it.  We did not see one toll road and it took us round the outskirts of Madrid.  Might be worth considering, we found it money well spent.

We took it in turns driving and it took us around nine hours, that was stopping a few times as we had the dogs.  We are only down the road from you so it will be the same route.

Good luck and enjoy the journey, the scenery is magnificient.

Like 0      
17 May 2010 12:53 AM by BigAl Star rating. 86 posts Send private message

BigAl´s avatar

Hi Daisymil,

How long is the ferry journey and what is the approximate cost?

Regards,

allan

Like 0      
17 May 2010 9:20 AM by Daisymil Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

I think it cost us around £750 for the ferry, but don't  forget we had to pay for each dog so that was over £100 and we upgraded the cabin.  That was of course return coming out on the 14th March returning on the 8th November.  With the ferry people you can change the date of travel i.e. if we want to go home earlier/later then it does not cost anything.

In between times we fly home and one of us has to stay here with the dogs!!

The ferry is like a mini cruise with on board entertainment, lovely bars and restaurants and a swimming pool (Brittany Ferries)  We came from Plymouth and I think the sailing was about 4.30 arriving in Santandar at 1.00 p.m the next day.  Last  year we did not come until August and the sailing was quicker arriving at Santandar at `11.30 so we managed to do most of the driving in the light.

Last year was our first time and I am petrified of sailing (don't mind flying) but it was so nice I had no hesitation of coming again this year.

If you have not already booked I would do it as soon as possible as they book up very quickly, it was full when we came in March so the summer months will be really busy.

The only extra you will have to pay is your petrol and if you plan your route carefully then you will not see any tolls.

Best wishes

Pam Platt

Like 0      
17 May 2010 9:29 AM by Carol-17 Star rating. 31 posts Send private message

We are considering travelling down to Torrevieja by ferry and road next year with our dogs, so this information is very helpful.   Can you please tell us what sort of accommodation is provided for the dogs on the ferry ?  I assume that they are not allowed in the passenger areas of the ship.

Many thanks

Carol

Like 0      
17 May 2010 10:48 AM by ms51 Star rating in uk/Los Alcazares. 100 posts Send private message

Hi Allan,

We are going from Portsmouth to Santander,and only one way as leaving the car behind going on the 26th May and the cost is £319 and only booked it 2 weeks ago,didn't think that was back at all.

Thank you Daisymil, I too don't like sailing,by air fine, and yes we have a Sat Nav,we used it once in Spain and ended up in a field,but didn't have street name,so this time should be different,did you rely on the sat nav alone ?  I have heard the scenery is lovely,but not looking forward to the drive,it takes me a while to get my land legs back lol.But it has to be done.

Ms

Like 0      
17 May 2010 4:55 PM by ms51 Star rating in uk/Los Alcazares. 100 posts Send private message

Do I still need a GB sticker although have one already on my number plate ?

Like 0      
17 May 2010 4:57 PM by Daisymil Star rating. 33 posts Send private message

First of all the kennels on the ferry were lovely and clean, the Pont Aven is the best .  You can visit you dogs at any time and there is seating areas so you can walk them out and sit with them as long as you want to.  No you cannot take them out of the dogs area but mine were fine and they never go into kennels, one is eleven and the other one is ten, then we have a young spanish dog found near our urbanization two years ago, she was half dead, starved and full of ticks and fleas.  Our friends out here looked after her until she could go to England and last November we took her back with us and our other two, bought them all back in March.

Regarding the question of the tom tom, we just keyed in San Javier airport but of course once we hit Murcia, we turned it off.  It is difficult with some street names, I just put the nearest land mark in, I even use it when I go to Primark and IKEA!! in Murcia as in the past I have ended up in the wrong lane getting back!!  I have no sense of directions so coming from Santander to San Javier is quite an achievement.

Good luck to all of you who are thinking of driving.

Like 0      
17 May 2010 5:07 PM by ms51 Star rating in uk/Los Alcazares. 100 posts Send private message

Your not the only one who gets lost going to IKEA have been there twice and got lost twice,well not so much lost as like you say coming back before we got there. Never thought of using sat nav

Like 0      
19 May 2010 5:12 PM by jdmrhs Star rating in Alternate between En.... 53 posts Send private message

Hi,

We travel accross Spain every year.  Usually from Bilbao, but as this year will be the last trip for the 'Pride of Bilbao' we will probably have to look at Santander again.  We have used it in the past but always found it expensive compared to P &O.

If your not in a hurry, why don't you take the opportunity to see some of Spain.  We usually take 3 days to get to Torrevieja from the ship, with 2 overnight stops.  Try Avila or Segovia, which you can reach easily from the main N1 road, turning off well before you get to the ring road for Madrid.  The journey is delightful and you pass through some lovely areas.  The Parador in Avila has some great offers and is in a lovely position where you can walk to many Spanish Restaurants.

You can then carry on to join the road you would have used after Madrid.  I usually use Mappy and key in Bilbao to San Javier with vias of Avila.  Segovia is right on the doorstep of Avila and is very beautiful.

Another great place to try would be to use the M50 round Madrid and then take the Chinchon road.  Again this is a great area and a wonderful place to visit.  We use the internet and have got a double room at the Condesa de Chinchon at the end of June for E54.  Cuenca is another must (the old quarter) the cathedral is breathtaking and you feel as it you are on the top of the world when you stay in the cliff top hotels.

Anyway hope this helps.  Get in touch if you want any more info.

Joan

Like 0      
19 May 2010 5:47 PM by ms51 Star rating in uk/Los Alcazares. 100 posts Send private message

Hi Joan,

Unfortunately we haven't got a lot of time,flying back on Sunday morning, lots of people have told me the trip is really nice and the scenery is wonderful,but who knows maybe we will stop for a while and take in some of it,seems a shame not too.

Thanks for the advise

Ms

Like 0      
19 May 2010 7:49 PM by alancambs Star rating in Las Kalendas Fortuna. 134 posts Send private message

alancambs´s avatar

Hi,

Six weeks ago we drove from England to Spain via Portsmouth to Santander and then on to Fortuna nr Murcia.

The ferry was fun, sea was a bit choppy but nothing to worry about, it seemed to make it more enjoyable.  We took our 12 year old dog who had never been in kennels, she was fine and I took her for walks on the dog deck and she wasn't the least bit concerned.  All dogs are supposed to wear muzzles but most did not, you need to take your own dogs bedding and food.

I  was a bit worried about getting lost but when we hired a van we also hired a Tom Tom and it was a good investment, we did not go wrong once.   We drove for eight and a half hours with no problems at all, we did notice that the cost of fuel on the journey was dearer than here in Murcia.

The views were wonderful, snow on the mountains, little hidden villages only seen from the motorways and vast long endless straight roads.

I didn't find the journey tiring at all and enjoyed every minute and would do it all again.

Alan

Like 0      
15 Jul 2010 11:26 AM by JazII Star rating in Mar Menor and UK. 133 posts Send private message

JazII´s avatar

Hi Folks

In a few weeks time, after catching the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander we're driving down to San Pedro del Pinatar.  I'm really looking forward to it as I hate flying; my OH on the other hand does not mind flying.  That said, I think he too is now looking forward to this trip ;-))

Like 0      
15 Jul 2010 12:45 PM by jdmrhs Star rating in Alternate between En.... 53 posts Send private message

Hi,

Hope you enjoy your crossing.  We usually do Portsmouth to Bilbao, but this service is coming to an end in September.

If you use the N1(A1) towards MADRID you can come off before it and go via Segovia or Avila, both places are great to visit and break the journey,  Use Mappy and put in Santander via Avila or Segovia and then San Javier.

Another route we love is via Cuenca, a beautiful historic place perched on top of the Gorge, with views to die for.  Incredible cathedral to visit.  or try Chinchon Nr. Aranjuez, we usually stay in the Condesa de Chinchon for around E50 per night.  rooms fantastic overlooking inner courtyard.Jacuzzi baths and air con as standard.  The best Italian Restaurant in the world opposite and a great circular Plaza with Restaurants overlooking it.  It reminds me of a theatre in the round, and they have lots of fiestas throughout the year. 

You can reach both Cuenca and Chinchon by using the M50 round Madrid.  Great road and not too busy.

Anyway good luck.  enjoy your trip.

Joan

Like 0      
15 Jul 2010 1:57 PM by JazII Star rating in Mar Menor and UK. 133 posts Send private message

JazII´s avatar

Hi jdmrs

Thanks for your feedback ;-))

I think we may go via Zaragoza, Valencia etc inbound and then back via Madrid on our return journey (we've driven down from Madrid before when we flew into Barajas.

Either way, as it's only four weeks until we're off I've started count down LOL.......

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Little Old Men - 4 posts
Question for Justin - 2 posts
painting holidays in spain - 4 posts
AGM Voting - Abstaining? - 11 posts
A Very Dangerous Virus - 11 posts
40K Members on EOS!!!!! - 4 posts
Jet2 abandonement - 1 posts
Spanish tax return completed free of charge - 0 posts
Do you know where this is - 7 posts
Goverment Bicycle hire at the beach in Costa Calida - 1 posts
jazztel in marbella - 0 posts
Wanted urgently: Replacement roof... - 0 posts
Movinf to Spain - 1 posts
UK Reg Vehicle & Road Fund License - 18 posts
Building recommendation. - 0 posts
Long term parking at Reus Airport - 1 posts
Agents in Granada ? - 3 posts
LEY 57/68 - OFF PLAN PURCHASES - 3 posts
Dying badly - and needlessly - 0 posts
NIE application revised fee EUR16.00 - 0 posts
Easyjet Flights - 2 posts
TV kijken in Condado de Alhama - 0 posts
Error on Ryanair booking - 6 posts
Carvajal Campaign - 0 posts
Zapatero Announces Cuts - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 17

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x