Just curious.....

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | ... | Next |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
04 May 2010 6:40 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

I find there is a lot of prejudice against pieces of string here in Spain.  I took my piece of string into a bar and the barman refused to serve him as they don't serve string in there.  My piece of string was rather sad about all this but another piece of string came in and said "Don't worry, I've been here before.  I'll get you a drink".  The new piece of string then proceeded to wrap itself up and scrape itself on the table before going up to the bar and asking for two beers.  The barman looked at it suspiciously and said "Are you a piece of string?"

To which he replied "No, I'm a frayed knot".

(If you Google string jokes, that one comes up about 30 times.....sorry)

Like 0      
04 May 2010 6:52 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Still seeking the elusive answer to my original post, I wonder if the Ryanscare website has details of any restrictions on carry-on string length, and surcharges for excessive length? This will of course be of interest to any members travelling to or from Spain on a shoestring.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 May 2010 7:04 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

"I wonder if the Ryanscare website has details of any restrictions on carry-on string length, and surcharges for excessive length?  "

That would be a bit stringent Roberto.........

Like 0      
04 May 2010 7:17 PM by crostrad Star rating. 92 posts Send private message

Whenever I took my string for a Ryanair flight I would sneak my way to the front of the boarding Q by claiming that she felt a bit ropey and needed to have a seat quick before she came unravelled.

One time we even got a VIP seat next to that nice Peter Stringfellow.

Like 0      
04 May 2010 8:32 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

My mother tried to bring a piece of spanish string through customs. She used it in place of her knicker elastic. It all went wrong when the knot slipped! I just walked away. You know what she did? She just stepped out of them, looked back and said ''Oh look, some poor lady has lost her knickers''. She'd have got away with it too, if her name had not been stiched into them.

Mothers, you've got to love them.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Like 0      
05 May 2010 11:20 AM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Quote Bobaol: "Technoape will tell you all how his bit of string is far stronger than anything he had in UK and, anyway, it's much more relaxing looking at a piece of string in the sunshine and has less chance of being stolen or vandalised than it would have in Devon."

Spot on bud!

My string shines gloriously in the Spanish sunshine, it's nice and warm. It's not cold and sopping wet all the time like is was in the UK, so I can easily undo any knots in it!

What's more, the string can be left outside, even at night, and is free to dingle dangle in the wind - oo-er mrs

I have legally imported my balls into Spain now!

In order to do so, make sure you have owned  them, or your Mrs has, for at least six months prior to moving to Spain.That way they become part of your, or that of your Mrs, personal possessions when you move, and then you can avoid paying any matriculation tax on them.

You must of course first go to the British Consulate, armed with your passport, and tell them that you have just moved to Spain, and that your balls are coming with you, and that you, or your Mrs, legally owns them prior to your move. You will then receive a 'Baja Consular'.

Then go to the nearest main Police Station, along with three copies of your passport and your Baja Consular, a current bill showing your Spanish address, and all paperwork that shows you, or your Mrs, legally own your balls Then tell the Policeman behind the desk that you are moving to Spain and you want to bring your balls with you.

After that, go to the local town hall and register on the padron. You don't need to mention your balls, you only need to register yourself and your Mrs.

Then, give all your paperwork that you had from the British Consulate, the Police Station, the local Town Hall and all your paperwork that shows you,, or your Mrs, legally own your balls to a reputable Gestor. The gestor will then legally re-register your balls here in Spain for you, and work out all the re-registration costs.

If you do all of this, within a period of 30 days after you started the ball rolling, then you won't have to pay any matriculation tax.

And there you go! You've just imported and re-registered your balls - of string - into Spain. 

www.andalucianstyle.com

Me, the Mrs and Rosie too! But we'll never, ever forget our Tyler!

We support AAA Abandoned Animals Marbella - Do you?

Like 0      
05 May 2010 2:29 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Roberto, I've just received the EOS newsletter which said this below. As your thread has had 65 posts with 943 viewings & Mike's only 7 posts with 153 viewings I wonder WHY your thread is not TOP.

I'd string someone up for that.

Popular Forum Discussions From Last 7 Days

Like 0      
05 May 2010 5:32 PM by crostrad Star rating. 92 posts Send private message

It's o.k. for you TechNo--you know your way 'round the paperwork-and all the right things to say.

I made one teensy weensy mistake while filling out the registration form ( seems I slightly over estimated on the length ). The Town Hall have written to say that a Technician and an officer from the Policia Local will be calling on Friday morning (or afternoon) to remove my balls as they don't match up to the registered item.

Any advice on a quick fix before Friday?

Like 0      
05 May 2010 6:47 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Having your balls removed.........a quick fix???? What were we talking about again?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
07 May 2010 12:39 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Looks like we are being 'strung' along again with the UK elections!!!!

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
07 May 2010 7:26 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Oh look at that, they've gone and hung them selves!  SHAME!

No matter where you go, there you are.

Like 0      
08 May 2010 3:33 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Has the thread string come to its end?    

Like 0      
08 May 2010 3:48 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

No! Not buy a long piece of chalk string!

Which is twice it's length in half and measured in metres.

I was just contemplating that if the UK parliament is to remain hung, then weather or not I could make some dosh from renting my now 'legally Spanish' string back to the UK MP's to continue hanging themselves with?

This message was last edited by TechNoApe on 08/05/2010.

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
10 May 2010 10:05 AM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

TechNoApe 

Surely that´s against EU regulations?  I think you can only rent Spanish string to Spanish politicians and then you must have all the correct paperwork, including your DNI (British passports not accepted), before they will consider it.  Do NOT use a lawyer recommended by your agent as they are only puppets of the Spanish string manufacturers, and they will assure you that there is a huge demand for string to rent, which unfortunately isn´t the case.  Too many Brits assume that the Spanish string rental market is the same as the UK string rental market, which it is not.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
11 May 2010 7:30 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Shamelessly bringing "my" thread back to the top...............

The string thing seems to be running out of steam (and puns), so I'm curious to know, what about Spain makes you curious? Part of the attraction, for me at least, of living in a foreign land, is that it's just that, foreign, as in , different.....curious.

I'll kick off. Even after a good many years living here, I'm still curious as to why Spaniards are so fond of sounding their car horns for no obvious reason. I don't remember the exact wording of the Highway Code (it was a while ago that I last read it) but I seem to remember that use of the horn was purely to warn other road users of your presence, or of a potential danger. So why do most Spaniards seem to believe that it may turn a red light green, or somehow budge an inmovable object?

Just curious.........

What makes you curious?

Mark Twain

Like 0      
11 May 2010 8:25 PM by suemac Star rating in Jumilla, Murcia. 1001 posts Send private message

Roberto - shame on you!

I think I can answer your question, at least so far as Jumillanos are concerned.  Spaniards are very friendly people, and whenever we walk along the road we get a constant stream of greetings: "hola", "buenas", "hello", "adios" etc and people also wave at us.  So what do drivers do when they see you and recognise you?  Here they sound their horns, to ensure that we see them and wave back. Remembering the number of friends and acquaintances Spaniards have, as well as their large families, it´s surprising that you don´t hear more horns.....!

As pedestrians, we are curious as to why Spaniards hate stopping at zebra crossings for pedestrians and will even put their foot down when the light is turning red in the hope that they don´t have to let you cross.  It´s not as if they don´t like stopping for you elsewhere: drivers are always coming to a halt when they don´t have to, and indicating that they would love you to cross the road.

Sue

Sue Walker

Author of "Retiring the Ole Way", now available on Amazon

See my blog about our life in Spain: www.spainuncovered.com

Like 0      
18 May 2010 9:29 PM by TechNoApe Star rating in Duquesa, Manilva. 1277 posts Send private message

Vip Supporter

TechNoApe´s avatar

Just a thought!

If you purchased string in Gibraltar, would it be tax exempt?

For example, would you have to pay VATT - Value Added Textile Tax 

www.andalucianstyle.com

Like 0      
18 May 2010 9:34 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Well, Techno, you & Roberto would be at home on the Rock, lol, string or no string. You'd enjoying monkeying around there.  

VATTT = Value Added Tatty Thread Tax

Like 0      
18 May 2010 10:06 PM by ads Star rating. 4124 posts Send private message

On the curious theme, because Spanish VATTT is higher than British VATTT does this mean that Spanish thread is more tatty than British?........

Like 0      
18 May 2010 10:22 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

You've cottoned on, Ads!

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | ... | Next |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Schools in/around Manilva - 0 posts
Bank charges - 4 posts
i need to swap my rhd for lhd. - 1 posts
Greece seals rescue deal with EU and IMF - 2 posts
Bus trips to Gibraltar - 14 posts
does any one know were i can buy a jet ski from - 3 posts
amber pools - 6 posts
Pets - 10 posts
Hola from Madrid - 9 posts
buyer or seller to pay yearly IBI? - 1 posts
Sofa shop/warehouse - 3 posts
selling without an agent or solicitor - 2 posts
Appliances - 5 posts
Looking for Dave in Dolores in the orange grove - 3 posts
Happy May Day, what do YOU remember about your childhood days - 0 posts
Good restuarants in Mazarron and Puerto de Mazarron - 1 posts
Rebooking on Monarch (after the volcano) - 4 posts
Sony SET TV on TDT gone. - 8 posts
Deeds for properties on Camposol - 12 posts
Fridge with Small Separate Top Freezer - Aspes - 0 posts
OK, own up, who posts from work? :-)))))))))) - 19 posts
And we thought the spanish where Bad Drivers! - 3 posts
La Renta Tax - 0 posts
CHARO, Formentera del Segura - 13 posts
Friday Golf Society - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 139

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x