CHARO, Formentera del Segura

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
30 Apr 2010 12:00 AM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Charo has opened about four weeks ago in Formentera del Segura. It is run by a lovely couple - Andres and Maria. Maria is an excellent cook and they have some very individual tapas dishes on offer.

On Saturdays, between 12 and 2 they give tapas free with every drink, so it's a good opportunity to try out their uusual dishes.

Like 0      
30 Apr 2010 11:48 AM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Hello Irene

Could you explain where Charo's is please as we are now in Spain many months annually since retiring & it's always good to hear of new places. Thanks.

Like 0      
30 Apr 2010 1:18 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

The address is Calle Alicante 33.

If you look for the sign that directs you to the Ayuntamiento, that is Calle Alicante. Charo is on the right-hand side, next to Bar Eden and opposite Bar Candy.

Last night we sampled caracoles and fried cheese. They also do a lovely dogfish dish - bitesize pieces in batter that melts in your mouth. On Saturday lunchtime between 12 and 2pm you get a free tapa with every drink, so it's a good time to sample the food.

Irene

Like 0      
30 Apr 2010 1:23 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Thanks Irene, I will add that to my list & print it off when we return May 25th.

Like 0      
29 May 2010 1:58 PM by gerkinsella Star rating in Dublin Ireland/Daya .... 35 posts Send private message

gerkinsella´s avatar

Hi

Went to Charo when we were over at beginning of May, when at lunctime, excellent value for money.  We asked for Menu del dia , it was not a printed menu but the lady pointed out what was on from the evening menu. I dont think there was a choice as my Spanish is not great , but what we got was excellent.  We had Mixed salad between us , bread (of which there was plenty) , we both got a Lamb dish with potatoes it was like a stew, very tasty, we then got Pork chops with chips( to our suprise) we were offered dessert but declined as we were both very full at this stage, we opted for 2 coffees instead, we also had one beer and one other coffee and the total cost was 16euro.  Will be going again next time we are over, thanks for the recommendation.

Geraldine

Like 0      
10 Jun 2010 4:41 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Next time you go you'll be offered an English/Spanish menu because I translated it!

My recommendation is the Queso fritto con marmalada de tomate (Fried goats cheese with tomato marmalade

We're doing a quiz there on 17th June by the way - it's free

Regards

Irene

Like 0      
14 Feb 2011 11:40 PM by Hammersfan Star rating in Body in Essex, Heart.... 160 posts Send private message

We went last night, based on the recommendations on here. The menu wasn't very extensive or desperately exciting.

Nevertheless what we had was very good and quite reasonablly priced....and the service was good and the waitress very nice

What I didn't particularly like was the way it was set out inside, two long rows of tables, The TVs were  too loud and it was too bright

To me it was more somewhere I'd go for lunch than somewhere nice enough to go for dinner , although as I say, I couldn't fault the food.

There were also big notices up saying that the kitchen is only open at weekends

so to my ratings... Menu variety 2 out of 5, Food quality & value 4 out of 5, Service 4 out of 5, Ambience 1 out of 5 total 11 out of 20.......not in the same league as the little bar/restaurant "La Paralla" in our village of Daya Nueva which would score 17 on the same scale

Like 0      
15 Feb 2011 11:22 AM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

The reason the tables were laid out like that on Sunday was because they had live music from 3-6.30pm and were doing a special 3 course Valentine´s meal for 10€. We were there - after eating, playing darts.

Normally the menu is quite extensive however, as they have been struggling for business during the winter months they had to stop buying food which they were throwing away.

Very sadly Charo will be closing at the end of February as the owner has decided to bump up the rent and there are just not enough punters to make it cost-effective.

Irene & Alan

Like 0      
15 Feb 2011 1:06 PM by camille Star rating in West Yorkshire & Her.... 121 posts Send private message

camille´s avatar

Oooooo will have to try it before it closes

Was reading this thread last night & decided to give it a go we are over for 12 days from 17th so better get my case packed

Like 0      
15 Feb 2011 3:18 PM by Flybynight Star rating. 60 posts Send private message

Flybynight´s avatar

"La Paralla" in our village of Daya Nueva which would score 17 on the same scale

Please would you post more info, hammersfan?

Like 0      
15 Feb 2011 5:21 PM by Hammersfan Star rating in Body in Essex, Heart.... 160 posts Send private message

Hi Flybynight

Whenever we come over to our property in Daya Nueva, we always go to La Paralla on the first night. This started out because after a day's travelling we were too tired to get into the car in order to go out for dinner, so we walked into the centre of the village to eat instead. But nowadays we go because not only has it become a tradition for us, but it's really great.

La Paralla is opposite the church in DN, so easy to find. We are creatures of habit (or maybe just sad), so we have the same meal each time. My wife has Pechuga De Pollo Empananda  y ensalada (Breaded chicken breast & salad) and I have Entrecot y patatas (Entrecote Steak & Chips). She has an Orange Juice and I have a coke or a small beer. The food is fabulous and we always get change out of 20 Euros (Actually I always leave the change as a tip)

Using the same Rating Scale as I did for Charos...

Menu variety , 3 out of 5, Food quality & value 5 out of 5, Service 5 out of 5, Ambience 4 out of 5 total 17 out of 20

Hope that helps..but pls remember that opinions are subjective, and your view might be different to mine, for example, the menu has Fish, Meats, Pizzas and Sandwiches, which for me is a pretty good choice for a small bar/restaurant,, but you might not agree

All the best

Like 0      
15 Feb 2011 6:25 PM by Flybynight Star rating. 60 posts Send private message

Flybynight´s avatar

Thanks! I assume they would do a lunchtime MDD, it's just good to hear about recommended restaurants. Regarding recommendations I fully understand we all have different views.

Like 0      
20 Feb 2011 3:32 PM by newsham Star rating in Morecambe/ Brisas De.... 83 posts Send private message

Charo will be missed, I thought it was a lovely little tapas bar, very friendly and good value for money. the quize run by Irene and Alan was good fun too. I hope they change their minds and stay and the landlord has a change of heart about putting the rent up.

Vanessa  & Trevor

Like 0      
16 May 2012 3:13 PM by Irene&Alan Star rating in Formentera del Segur.... 701 posts Send private message

Irene&Alan´s avatar

Great News - Charo is open again, but in Rojales.

The food and ambience is just as lovely but there is much more outside and inside space. The Bar is next to the Town Hall in the Centro Socio, overlooking the river.

Irene

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Friday Golf Society - 0 posts
Can a Presidente change a rule? - 21 posts
house restoration or hose building - 1 posts
Changes in our fees - 7 posts
Another property tax? - 0 posts
Good surfing beaches? - 3 posts
Another property tax? - 22 posts
School dinners - 2 posts
Childs Car Booster Seat Wanted - 1 posts
Investing in property in Spain - 2 posts
siann - 1 posts
I Need Transport Space From Spain to UK (end of May) - 4 posts
Malaga Airport lift needed to Duquesa for 6 people - 09/06/2010 - 0 posts
Restaurant Critic's Wanted!! - 15 posts
Land registry and notary fees - 5 posts
Costa Blanca Transfers Car Hire- anyone used them? - 9 posts
wi-fi extenders - 4 posts
HELP WANTED - 0 posts
ITV & INSCURANCE - 5 posts
Universal Hospitality - 0 posts
Family Fun Day in Calahonda, Saturday 15th May 11:00-20:00 - 0 posts
items for sale - 0 posts
Looking for a caravan - 15 posts
Help! new type of Endesa Smart Meter - 4 posts
looking for a church in Corvera area - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 14

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x