My hobby

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
01 Mar 2010 12:00 AM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

As this is the general chit chat thread, I thought I would throw something different into the arena, currently non- Spain related .

As you will see from my username, it would appear I like fish, keeping them though!! I thought I would share a few of my little pics for my new aquarium which has just been set up, then over the months I will update it so you can see how it progresses. Of course, there is an ulterior motive . From an earlier thread I was gauging interest in the fishkeeping fraternity for an upcoming project .  So here we go:

This is the new tank. It is a 2 foot cube which will hold just over 200 litres of water. The tank below is a sump and is where all the equipment will be housed.

This is how the aquarium looks once the reverse osmosis water and marine salt have been added. The rock is live rock, which basically means it has bacteria living within it that will break down the fish waste and act as a filter.

This is what the sump looks like once it has the equipment within it. The water overflows from the main tank to the bottom where it is met by a protein skimmer (to remove some of the waste), then it flows over some algae (provides a breeding ground for food sources for the fish and corals) before finally being pumped back to the main tank.

My first coral and a pair of clownfish were introduced yesterday. Over the course of the next 12 months or so, there will be many more additions to the fish and corals, so this is just a taster .

Mark

Like 0      
01 Mar 2010 2:00 PM by J&N Star rating in Nottinghamshire. 342 posts Send private message

J&N´s avatar

I dabbled with a fish tank once. I loved having my little catfish and neon's. I was told I could keep a Siamese fighter in the tank as long as I only had one. I had a beautiful red one for about 4 days, in which time he trebled in size and ate all but one of my other fish!

The fish got returned to the pet shop and the tank got emptied and sold. That was the end of my dabbling with fish - way too stressful.

Jacqui

http://relocatetospain.blogspot.com our adventure from deciding to move to Spain to being here and moving back to the UK.

Like 0      
01 Mar 2010 5:26 PM by Sunrise Star rating in UK. 417 posts Send private message

Sunrise´s avatar

I have a two cold water fish and a snail.

Sunrise

Blog De Sunrise

Like 0      
01 Mar 2010 8:36 PM by Febe Star rating in Flix, on river Ebro,.... 240 posts Send private message

Hi Mark,

I've kept tropicals and cold water fish. Never a salt tank. I do think they look great, but lots of work I think.

Now (and for the last 6/7 years) I have Xenopus Laevis, African clawed frogs and Hymenochirus Boettgeri, African dwarf frogs. The clawed are cold water, the dwarf are warm water. I love my little froggy guys. In fact I have to travel over an hour to buy the food for them! Mind you, it is at a garden centre, so I don't mind too much!

I've seen the clawed for sale here (in Spain) in the pet shops at Carrefour. Tiny little albeno things, the shops give very little info on them. I worry that people buy them, put them into a mixed tank, not knowing how big they get. They will eat any thing (alive or dead) they can fit in their mouths and get about as large as your palm.

Do please keep us updated re. your tank. I for one am interested.

Regards, Febe

No matter where you go, there you are.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Cheapest beer in Spain? - 27 posts
How to find the cheapest petrol/diesel prices in your area - 6 posts
Is there anyway the buyers can get out of the private contract to buy my house? - 2 posts
Car exchange - UK car for left hand drive spanish registered. - 1 posts
A picture paints thousand words...Chlilean Earthquake 27 Feb. - 3 posts
Babies & Tots Group - Villa Martin Area, Costa Blanca South - 0 posts
Spanish recipes - 2 posts
Telefonica Wireless Ruter Inalambico - 9 posts
Malaga Appeal Court keeps favouring Consumers - 0 posts
help on finding pushbikes - 6 posts
New info-- zodiac villas - 0 posts
Banks chasing dept - 9 posts
Using a S.I.P. card while on holiday - 1 posts
Easyjet.Same flight different prices? - 5 posts
Visit - 6 posts
Work experience in restaurant - 0 posts
Liability for Community Fees - 3 posts
SEVILLANA - URGENT WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 0 posts
OPI RENTALS - 1 posts
awnings-toldos - 1 posts
MANILVE LIFE ?? - 1 posts
Repsol online gas bills - 1 posts
I need a quick sale for house in Vera Playa. - 1 posts
Returning to England due to sick father. Needs quick sale. - 0 posts
4 bedroom house for sale in Vera Playa, Almeria - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 4

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x