All EOS blogs All Spain blogs  Start your own blog Start your own blog 

Green Lemons are Limes

The adventure that moving and living in Spain has continually been. Tragic events that have turned everything upside down, house moves and running a bar in the Spanish countryside.

01 June 2019 @ 13:10



The biopsy took place the following week in St Georges Hospital Tooting. I was to collect my Grandparents (Mum’s Mum and Dad) and take them to visit her the following day. Dad had been very clear they were not to know how bad things were, they were lent to believe she would make a full recovery. 
As I started the journey to collect my Grandparents, the rain started, getting worse and worse. By the time I got to their town the water was laying on the road, I had to drive super slowly to avoid slipping and be able to see.

As I saw it, I had no choice but to carry on, I had to get my grandparents to my Mum. 
We got to the hospital safe and sound, as the sky cleared and the sun put in an appearance.
Mum was in a side room and looked forlorn, with her head bandaged and a little bit more light missing from her beautiful eyes. She begged me to take her home and I so wanted to, but how could I. 
I called my Dad and begged him to let me take her home, but he wasn’t having any of it. My taking her home then wouldn’t have changed a thing, as it turns out I’m glad I didn’t.
Having worked and lived in Tooting a few years before, I knew the area well and when I was faced with not being able to turn left out of the car park, I wasn’t fazed. The traffic was backed up, it often was, it was an enormously busy and difficult junction. 
As I turned right, there was as much traffic this way too, what was going on? I am in a car with two people of senior years, one of whom is diabetic and after two hours we could still see the hospital. Oh and the radio didn’t work in my car, so I had no idea what the problem was. As the time ticked by, my mind on how I was going to feed my diabetic grandmother, as I knew there was no shops or restaurants on route. It also dawned on me that there was no way I would get back to collect the girls from school. I phoned my friend and she came to my rescue. The plan had been that she would be coming to dinner that evening. The new plan, she would collect the girls and take them to her house until Barry was home from work. She also ended up cooking dinner for all of us, because it was past 8 pm by the time I arrived home. 
The traffic, once we got to the main road, was at a standstill, with no turn off in sight. People started to get out of their cars, so I took my chance to find out what was going on. 

Just after we had travelled along the A3 that morning, they had closed it. The underpass had filled with water and they were trying to pump it out. Not great news when I didn’t know any other way to get to my grandparent's house. 
Six hours it had taken me to drive a forty-five-minute journey. I was tired, emotionally drained and hungry. 
Although I would have rather not been in a car for such a long time, it did give me some valuable time with my fantastic grandparents and they both made it home alive and well, thanks to a pub we found on the route which served food.

Like 0


Only registered users can comment on this blog post. Please Sign In or Register now.


This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x