All EOS blogs All Spain blogs  Start your own blog Start your own blog 

El blog de Maria

Your daily Spanish Law reporter. Have it with a cafe con leche.

Legal tip 835. Exchange of driving license
10 October 2012 @ 11:56

 The exchange of one’s national driving license expedited in a member state of the European Union or in one of those pertaining to the European Economic Area for a Spanish driving license

General Information:

All driving licenses issued in one of the 27 member states of the European Union or in one of the 3 member states of the European Economic Area (Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) allows their citizens to drive with their original driving license without the obligation to homologate it or obtain a separate license in their new country of residence. Therefore, the member states of the European Union and the members of the European Economic Area in agreement with the normative of the Union maintains its validity in Spain, as long as the license is in agreement with the age requirement in Spain to obtain a driving license, having fulfilled all requirements in one’s country with regards to the period of validity, being declared mentally and physically competent to drive, and any sanctions in the case of any infractions of the law.

Spain takes into account the country where the license was expedited, its expiration date in order to register it in the Provincial Traffic Administration (Jefatura Provincial de Tráfico) as for example with France, (whose citizens just need to call in).

In general, the driving licenses A1, A, B and EB are registered without any type of examination. The other types of driving licenses require some sort of exam to be passed.

Citizens who have obtained residency may request the exchange of their original driving license for that of a Spanish driving license.

When having to renew your original driving license is normally when to exchange it for the Spanish license due to the fact that a renewal must be done in your country of residence. In order to carry out this transaction you must request the extension of your license 3 months prior to its expiration date.


The Authorization of Another Person to Carry Out the Transaction of Exchange of License

A written and signed authorization must be presented, containing the client’s personal information, authorizing said person, with their personal information, to carry out the said transaction. According to the official webpage from Traffic Administration Office the authorization must reflect explicitly that the authorized person is doing this for free.

Requesting an Appointment

Number to call to scheduling an appointment: 902.300.175

At the number 060 you can request the Exchange of License for your province

If your country is a member state of the European Union it is not necessary to make an appointment to carry out the transaction. You can go directly to your Provincial Traffic Administration Offices.

Required Documentation:

1.       The official request form from the Traffic Administration Office or

which includes: a written statement declaring that you have not been stripped of your right to drive by any court nor had any interventions or suspensions. (contained on form)

A written document stating that you are not a holder of any other driving license from Spain or any other country pertaining to the European Union. (contained on form)


2.       Taxes ll.3 (2012) 26.80€


3.       Proof of Identification and Residency:

a.       National Identification Card or Passport: the valid original

b.      Authorization of residence along with a Certificate of Register in the Central Registry for Foreigners from the European Union: the valid original


4.       Valid driving license: the original and a copy


5.       A current photo: original 32 x 25 mm


6.       A photo form provided by The Traffic Administration Office: Filled in and signed.



An Expired Driving License: If the license you are trying to exchange is expired you must obtain a clean bill of health from a registered health care center and hand in the approved form to the Provincial Traffic Administration.

Price of Driving License Exchange

·         If you do not have to pass any type of examination: Approximately 30€

·         If you must pass some type of driving exam: Approximately 90.00€

These taxes are paid in the same Traffic Administrations Office when presenting the documents.

·         The price for a renewal of driving license: Approximately 23.00€

Length of Transaction:

Depends on the length of time it takes the respective country to answer the declarations. 

If you need further assistance, you can contact us at

"Cala del Pato", Conil de la Frontera, Cadiz, South of Spain.

Like 0


Only registered users can comment on this blog post. Please Sign In or Register now.


This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x