Hertz Car Hire

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Feb 2010 12:00 AM by michaelhardy Star rating in Bishop Auckland & Ja.... 597 posts Send private message

michaelhardy´s avatar

We've been looking for car hire for the summer and find Hertz (who use Solmar) to be one of the cheapest from Murcia airport. The only downside I can see to using them is that there are additional charges for the second driver and that you're liable for the excess which can be up to 600€. We've had cars through Solmar before without any problems, but not booking it through Hertz direct.

Obviously the additional costs with DYS & Economy etc include the 2nd driver and no excess but Hertz seem cheaper if there is only one driver.

Has anyone booked through these? Were there any more hidden charges (apart from the fuel)? Has anyone taken out a yearly excess liability insurance to cover themselves and did they experience any problems showing this to Car Hire companies?

Like 0      
10 Feb 2010 5:39 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

We always take out insurance when hiring a car as the excesses are quite scary.  We've never needed to actually use it but it's good peace of mind.

I had heard similar, that Hertz were quite competitive from some destinations.

I booked a car through CarTrawler for Bristol and it gave me an option to include the insurance, which wasn't very much.  May be worth checking it out.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
10 Feb 2010 5:43 PM by nicolaraho Star rating in Surrey and Mar Menor.... 90 posts Send private message

if you have an AMex card you are covered for excesses so don't need to pay extra. I have second driver with hertz and did not pay extra but I did book in November last year for the summer.

Like 0      
10 Feb 2010 5:59 PM by carolandrichard Star rating in West Yorkshire and P.... 93 posts Send private message

Can't comment directly re Hertz. But there are definately changes going on with car hire companies and third parties, eg, carjet.

I have several trips booked, both short break weekends (3 days) and longer trips. I am having to look very carefully at the car hire vouchers for the fuel policy - all of them used to allow full/full on a 3 day short break, but now this varies depending on car hire company and even which third party you booked through. Likewise, the second driver, with some third party eg carjet you always got a free second driver no matter which company you were placed with, whereas now you have to check this carefully as this can differ depending on company/third party.

Finally re the excess, last year we bought an annual policy for £80 I think it was. This covered myself OR my husband AND any named drivers on the car hire agreement. (Alternative was £50 to cover ONE main person plus any named drivers, if we always went together we could have saved some money!) Haven't had to claim on it, but the peace of mind of having it is very re-assuring and would have cost a fortune to have an additional insurance everytime. We've not had to show it to any of the car hire companies, when they ask us if we want the extra insurance we just say no thanks we have our own. They then invariably tell us if we have a problem we have to pay the excess directly to them then claim from our policy later, which we are happy to accept.

Just remembered something about Hertz, some friends who are using our place in the summer have booked with Hertz, he told my husband it was only third party insurance - worth checking.

Like 0      
10 Feb 2010 9:52 PM by michaelhardy Star rating in Bishop Auckland & Ja.... 597 posts Send private message

michaelhardy´s avatar

Thanks for all your help

Like 0      
10 Feb 2010 11:50 PM by drsue Star rating in NE Hants/Costa Cali.... 29 posts Send private message

Try these people for your extra cover

http://www.insurance4carhire.com

We have booked hertz for this summer from Murcia and this lot for the excess.

Like 0      
11 Feb 2010 8:39 AM by nicolaraho Star rating in Surrey and Mar Menor.... 90 posts Send private message

If you have booked with Hertz certainly on an axem card you will covered fully comp........ i cannot comment on other credit cards or if the Hertz  standard deal is fully comp or not.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Great Builder found in Benalmadena !! - 6 posts
ALMERIA AIRPORT - 9 posts
Time For Money To Be Released By Courts - 3 posts
Free wifi in Estepona area? - 2 posts
residents certificate for 94 year old - 3 posts
Animal lovers - 3 posts
Okay, so what's the best way to ask for Beer??? - 46 posts
Ryanair's latest cost cutting?? - 6 posts
Granting of Habertation Certificate - 4 posts
Malaga Airport (AGP) T3 Official Opening - 4 posts
proposed roue railway San Pedro to Estepona - 0 posts
work - 0 posts
Aluminium Box Trailer with secure lid for sale - 1 posts
Credit/Debit Card Scam - 1 posts
INFORMATION NEEDED FOR NIE - 20 posts
Autumn Bookings P&O Ferries Portsmouth/Bilbao Cancelled - 1 posts
Fiscal Fees????? - 4 posts
Delete an inactive blog - 2 posts
Armchair required - 0 posts
Being a Teacher (Piano) ? - 2 posts
Flight Delays - 2 posts
Driving an open-topped car with a baby.... - 3 posts
snowboarding - 1 posts
best tapas on costa del sol - 17 posts
Paying money into Spanish Bank Account - 50 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x