Freesat HD on Costa del Sol

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
20 Jan 2010 12:00 AM by norm2002 Star rating. 19 posts Send private message

Hi

I currently have a large dish with an old Sky+ box at my apartment near Marbella. I take my Sky card from the UK whenever I vsit. I get excellent reception but, of course, no recording or premium channels because the card is linked to my oher box in the UK.

Am I right that if I buy a Freesat HD recorder and take it to Spain, I will be able to get all Freesat channels including HD and also be able to record?

TIA

Norman

Like 0      
20 Jan 2010 8:28 PM by sandybeach Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

They work fine and I'm very pleased with mine and you get all the channels including BBC HD.  I've connected my Humix box  into several across europe as it's small enought take with me.  Works a little better when it  rains than the SKY box too.

Your local BBC TV news channel etc will be the UK postcode area you enter when you first set up the box.  For recording though you will need the hard drive version which is expensive.  They're something like £109 for SD version, £159 for HD and £229 for the HD with record option

Like 0      
21 Jan 2010 8:22 AM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

You wil get BBC HD and ITV HD.

(if you can currently get BBC Channel Islands, then you wil be able ot receive BBC HD - they share a frequency)

You will not get Fiver, Five USA, or C4 HD - these require a sky card.

Your reception of FIVE will be the same reception as BBC2.

YOur regions for 101 and 103 are determined by the postcode you input intot he receiver on installation.

Many channels (Sky news for example) are not available on the Freesat EPG - so you will have to scan for them in non-freesat mode.

(similar to the sky boxes "other channels" option)

look at joinfreesat.co.uk and on the right hand sode of the screen is a list of receivers and the best places with the cheape3st prices (and web discounts)

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      
21 Jan 2010 11:13 AM by peteha Star rating. 110 posts Send private message

to receive programs in HD quality using this equipment do you need to change the L and B 

receiver on the satellite dish???????????  

Like 0      
21 Jan 2010 11:13 AM by peteha Star rating. 110 posts Send private message

to receive programs in HD quality using this equipment do you need to change the L and B 

receiver on the satellite dish???????????  

Like 0      
21 Jan 2010 3:40 PM by sandybeach Star rating. 9 posts Send private message

I can only speak for the Humix version, but  I've never had to touch the satellite dish to get BBC HD and ITV (when available) HD, just attached the satellite cable to the back of the receiver (same as ASKY box) and tune in the channels on the set-up menu.  Of course, you need a TV with HDMI cable for HD but works on older sets in SD.  Even the BBC HD channel works on an old set and scart lead without of course the HD quality.

Like 0      
21 Jan 2010 4:17 PM by satandpcguy Star rating in Gandia, Valencia. 399 posts Send private message

satandpcguy´s avatar

to receive programs in HD quality using this equipment do you need to change the L and B receiver on the satellite dish???????????  

If you are getting the UK TV channels already then you will not need to change the LNB (low noise block) to receive the HD channels.

All you need to do is connect up the HD receiver and you will get the HD channels.

There is no such thing as a HD LNB - just a LNB that is suitable for all satellite reception including SD and HD (int he same way that there are no digital aerials for digital TV - there are only TV aerial, and reception depends on how they are configured)

BUT: if you go for the Humax PVR (hard disk" then this has a twin satellite receiver so it allow you to watch one channel and record another AT THE SAME TIME. For this to work you need a twin output KNB and two cables from that LNB to the two input on the receiver. (It will work with just one, but you will not have the full benefits of hard disk recording)

www.satandpcguy.com Satellite TV & Sky TV in Spain installers. Costa Blanca, Azahar and Valencia areas.

"Like" us on Facebook

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Withdrawal of P & O Portsmouth to Bilbao route - 21 posts
how many people really want to or are trying to sell their spanish property? - 12 posts
Drive to Spain - 4 posts
Taking lizards to spain - 3 posts
car hire prices - 10 posts
spanish property in UK or Spanish will? - 3 posts
EOS not alerting me when I start a new thread - 4 posts
Connecting Electric Supply - 3 posts
Jobs in teaching Torrevieja - 3 posts
wood burner with flue wanted - 0 posts
AGM - 2 posts
Postal redirection - 3 posts
BMI baby Cardiff to Murcia - 4 posts
Valuations - 4 posts
Does a NintendoWii bought in UK work in Spain? - 8 posts
What's positive about living in Spain????? - 41 posts
sub letting? - 4 posts
bill det - 0 posts
almanzora country club update - 4 posts
Lawyer in Murcia? - 7 posts
Hi I haven't been on for a while but this is an urgent appeal - 4 posts
Wanted 2 month rental Iznajar Cordoba - 0 posts
Los Belones shopping complex - 1 posts
professional photos needed for holiday rental website Mar Menor 2 - 2 posts
message for EOS regarding Mar Menor Golf Resort 2 - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 7

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:  
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x