17 and 18, we want to move to spain, help!?

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
22 Oct 2009 12:00 AM by outai Star rating in Cardiff, Wales, UK. 4 posts Send private message

Me and my partner are thinking of moving to spain in the new year.
We are 17 & 18 years old.

I Have a full set of A*-B GCSE grades and he has IT training.
I've lived in spain before and have always wanted to go back, now is my chance!

How would i got about moving over? And what jobs can we do to keep ourselves going ?

Im thinking of moving to torrevieja but i'm not to fussed on where we go.

Any ideas or advice would be helpful! :D

Like 0      
23 Oct 2009 8:19 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Work is not easy in Spain at the present moment. You need experience and master of the Spanish language to start with. Plese be cautious: you are young.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
23 Oct 2009 10:44 AM by joanmalaga Star rating in Costa del Sol. 419 posts Send private message

Hi outai,

My recommendation is do not move now, there really is no work and the situation is starting to get desperate in many places.  If i was you i would stay put, save money and reconsider in a few months time.  Specially with winter comming you are very unlikely to find a job. If you do not speak Spanish it will be even harder.

Joan

Like 0      
23 Oct 2009 1:42 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

With such good GCSE grades why aren´t you continuing with your studies? If you like Spain so much why don´t you go to college to study spanish a-level at least to prepare you for the future should you want to live in Spain.

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
23 Oct 2009 5:16 PM by asdfghjkl Star rating. 11 posts Send private message

Its a super idea and if you can secure work maybe with property management companies or elsewhere until you find what you want at a later stage.  Bring plenty of money with you for the first 2 months and if it does not work cant you come home. You can rent an apartment quiet cheep

If you cant get work then stay at home.  

Like 0      
23 Oct 2009 11:16 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I would never put anyone off from doing anything but I agree with all the comments on here.  Things are very tough in Spain and work is very seasonal along the coasts, so now is definitely not a good time to come.

I always recommend to people that they have at least 12 months worth of money in the bank to keep them going whilst they find their feet.  If you can do that then at least it will give you a little time to play with whilst you find work, but it is tough.

Otherwise I think do as Susan says.  Do a degree in Spanish and by that time hopefully there will be more opportunities for you then.

Spain isn't going anywhere, don't feel the need to rush here, you're both still very young.

Best of luck with whatever it is you decide to do.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
24 Oct 2009 3:09 AM by myra cecilia Star rating in Manilva Malaga. 213 posts Send private message

I would like to take a different view especially as you are young. If you dont try your dont get and you seem so keen. If you are not giving up anything in the UK like a good job or studies why not take a little time out to visit. Rents here are al there lowest. Some apartments on the Costa del Sol for as little as 450 euros a month. 2 bed and new. Though there is less employment there is still work available. You have nothing to lose as long as you have the fare back home. Where has everyones sense of adventure gone. There seem to not be any children involved and they are young.

Myra Cecilia. www.costaadvicebureau.com

Like 0      
24 Oct 2009 3:39 PM by alysonwenham Star rating in blackpool, england. 83 posts Send private message

Hi

If I can put another angle on it, I'm a landlord, and I wouldn't rent a flat to a couple as young as you who are unemployed, so seriously consider where you are going to live.  Maybe contact some letting angies and find out if you can rent a property first.

Alyson

Like 0      
24 Oct 2009 4:07 PM by myra cecilia Star rating in Manilva Malaga. 213 posts Send private message

Hello Alyson. Chuckling here. I understand your reasoning and its not easy to trust letting to anyone these days. Its just that I am sitting on the beach, had a swim, beautiful blue sea, fantastic views of the Costa and Northern Africa and that young couple just dying to come down.  I know a couple who came down in the last recession with a camper and 1.500 pounds. They now have a house, two vehicles a motorbike and have now just paid off the mortgage. Done much better than me. Depends who you are really. Taking the laptop home its a very bad beach companion.

This message was last edited by myra cecilia on 24/10/2009.

Like 0      
24 Oct 2009 4:22 PM by philevans Star rating in Axminster Devon & Sa.... 187 posts Send private message

philevans´s avatar

Beats using my laptop in a cold wet miserable England. Bet you feel a bit better now don't you!!!

What you see is what you get 

Like 0      
24 Oct 2009 6:25 PM by myra cecilia Star rating in Manilva Malaga. 213 posts Send private message

Philevans. I only feel better because you made me laugh. wish all of you and your laptops could be here too. I dont know how yours behaves but as I stated on FB mine, does not like the sun, the sea, being splashed and absolutely hates the sand. Took it home cooked some fresh sardines made a salad and went back minus laptop. I wanted to do a Mr Bean. There were lots of fishing rods, like one person with 5 here anthor with 4 there. Not my favourites when you are trying to swim. Anyway as usual they were not catching anything. I just wanted to wave two of my cooked sardines at them.  A silly thought. Wishing you better weather.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Any Advice please ?! - 1 posts
Debt Termination Incorporation - 0 posts
Moving to Spain - 1 posts
Daytime home needed for fantastically friendly Weimaraner dog - 2 posts
Marks and Spencer Locations - 2 posts
Moving to Spain & I sell console accessories on markets in the UK. How hard is it to get on the Spainish markets - 6 posts
TEORIA IMPOSICIÓN DIRECTA (DERECHO FISCAL) - 3 posts
Linda P - 0 posts
Non Resident mortgages are available - 7 posts
Brighten your day - 0 posts
Reccomended Dentist in Catral - 2 posts
MOTORBIKE FOR SALE - 0 posts
Owners in debt - Can tenants still use community facilities? - 5 posts
Free Parking at Malaga airport - 2 posts
Property inland Costa Brava - 0 posts
Cruelty to animals - 25 posts
The Real Spain- a beautiful village in the Las Alpujarras - 1 posts
Grupo Mango to become bankrupt? - 4 posts
Working out Community Fees - 9 posts
Global Car Centre in Cabo Roig? - 0 posts
Car Trailer for sale. - 3 posts
Uk Shopping In Spain - Consumer Advisor - 0 posts
No Bank Guarantee? Action against the Bank! - 0 posts
Prices for Inland Andulcia property ! - 5 posts
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID? - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x