Personal Loan

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
17 Jul 2009 12:00 AM by Montserrat Star rating. 3 posts Send private message

HELP - I have found myself in a difficult situation without going into all the sordid details my husband disappeared after taking most of the money out of our bank acct which was backup to cover the mortgage on our property.  I have a holiday let business which brings in some income and full-time job.  However I will not be bringing in enough to cover my 930 euros mortgage payment plus all the living expenses.

I was very pleased that my bank would help me out by giving me a personal loan - which would help me out for a year however I have been informed that they will keep this money in a separate acct to cover the mortgage payment.   Now  I have been thinking if this is a personal loan why do I not have control over this money and can they do this?  There is enough equity in the property as collateral

I fully intend to keep up the mortgage payments - as I do not want to simply hand back the keys to the bank and with it the equity  It just does not seem right that they should dictate those types of terms.  I quite sure that it would not happen in any other country - or correct me if I am wrong!

If anyone could shed some light on this please let me know.  

Regards

PS The property is up for sale!

This message was last edited by Montserrat on 17/07/2009.

Like 0      
17 Jul 2009 9:08 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Dear Montserrat:

As that contract for personal loan is a private agreement between you and the bank, I am afraid to say that they can set their own conditions and you need to agree and if not, if you need further financiation, not just for the mortgage payments, maybe just look into different lenders.

Hope this helps!

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
17 Jul 2009 1:03 PM by Rose FP Star rating in Costa Almeria. 20 posts Send private message

This is not an unusual ploy by your bank; I have heard of such before. The bank's primary concern will be ongoing mortgage payments and, as they are probably loaded up with repossessed properties, they will do all that they can to remove the potential threat of another. The equity in the property is largely an irrelevance; they do not want to take any risks now.

The likely solution, as intimated by Maria, is a Remortgage to another bank to repay both the existing mortgage and loan. If you do intend to sell soon then look for an 'Interest Only' product to keep the obligations to the new lender at an absolute minimum.

However, it seems that your existing arrangement (with a payment of €900 per month) may be set up on a Repayment basis (Capital and Interest); have you not asked the lender if they will consider an 'Interest Only' period for you for a year or so to give you that window of time to ese the pressure and allow the sale? Many if not most banks will offer such now, but only if you ask for it!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

changeover cleaning costs on renting propery - 1 posts
Satellite dish for sale - 2 posts
PARKING STORAGE & SALES - 0 posts
Sky TV Change Viewing Cards - 22 posts
Marks and Spencers - 7 posts
Cheap car hire from Malaga Airport - 0 posts
speeding fine - 0 posts
Non residents vendors can reclaim for overpayment of taxes - 1 posts
car windows tinted in Murcia region - 2 posts
taxi fares from san javier airport to san pedro del pinitar - 4 posts
dodgy rental company - 0 posts
Anybody know any swimming pool cover companies in Murcia Region? - 4 posts
Anyone know how much taci San Javier to Cabo Roig may be? - 5 posts
Sevillana Endesa - 7 posts
Speeding fine on A-7 towards Alicante - 41 posts
Trampolin Hills - 1 posts
Hello Eye on Spain - 3 posts
Looking for a good Administrator - 13 posts
Know any good Administrators? - 26 posts
INDUSTRIAL UNITS - WAREHOUSES TO LET - 0 posts
Property Agent - 2 posts
If currently you're experiencing problems sourcing a hire car in the Torrevieja area of the CB ..... - 0 posts
Marbella : fractional ownership - 1 posts
Blood Donation in Spain - 4 posts
location of estate agents - 5 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 3

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x