Marbella : fractional ownership

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Jul 2009 12:00 AM by lomasgirl Star rating in I'm in Belgium and L.... 24 posts Send private message

I received a mail from "the fractional group"  to buy a property in Marbella. The property is divided into 4 till 12 owners. And so are the charges.

Does somebody has such a fractional ownership?

Good?  Negative?

Like 0      
14 Jul 2009 10:45 AM by rowlandsbb Star rating in Gloucestershire &Hue.... 779 posts Send private message

rowlandsbb´s avatar

There have been post on the General Chit Chat thread about fractional ownership and below are the comments I have made on this subject which may help

As you will gather I am not a supporter of fractional ownership and would not do it myself but do appreciate that for some it is good..I know several people who are very happy with theirs but they do understand what they bought and all the implications

Post 1 -it is becoming a popular marketing for developments which are unsold

I know some buyers who like it and fits their life style...but it is time share in another form...again I know many who have enjioyed their time share

But it is not an investment and in EU so far selling on is not easy and may even be more difficult than time share

There are some quite expensive fractional schemes in Spain and Portugal and more often than not you can buy your own property for the same amount, perhaps not so much luxury but at least your own

Again some like it .........but bear in mind that 1/4 share is not 1/4 of the value.....some dealers have bought say a Polaris World unit at normal price and then sell 1/4 shares off at circa 30% more than original cost

So do look at other options... .......................and for some fractional is just a payment up front for holidays...bit like buying a caravan in UK......and they enjoy it  

Post 2 after query about owning a share in freehold

That is correct but the principle is the same as you only have the right to use it for a specified time which varies each year

In general it is difficult for any improvements to be carried out without all part owners agreeing unless there is an otherwise onerous management structure set up and run by the developer to his profit

Also in theory you can sell your share to anyone but re sales in EU have so far been very difficult...sometimes the other part owners will buy...but after a few years use and the condition becomes a bit tired, then very difficult

Some people do make money and I know of one buyer who bought 1/4 and as time has gone on has so far picked up two further 1/4 s very cheap...only buyer.......

My observation is that if the property is worth say 200.000 € then it is not uncommon to find a 1/4 share at 75.000 € and if you get into a scheme where they are selling 1/8 shares then the cost of one circa 50.000 € an so on

Some developers insist that a management service is provided including regular maid service minor repairs etc and your running cost can be circa 2.500 € pa +

Now for some having this they feel like an owner without the responsibilities and are prepared to pay the cost....no problem with this and buyers shouild just make sure that they know fully the terms of their purchase and enjoy their holiday there

But it is not a cheap way of having your own place in the sun and so far they have not been easy to get rid of

You may get a loan to buy organized by the developers!!! but not a conventional mortgage from a bank not connected to the development....and that tells you all you need to know about the security of your investment.....if you think it is one in any form whatsoever!

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Blood Donation in Spain - 4 posts
location of estate agents - 5 posts
PLEASE can someone help Dama, a beautiful Beagle - 0 posts
Colin, please show us how you put your pics on. (You said if I asked in here, you would !) - 4 posts
HOLIDAY LETS - 1 posts
Calais to the Mar Menor - 2 posts
Selling without the estate agent - 5 posts
help wonted - 3 posts
Happy Birthday Arm - 2 posts
Taking an irish reg car to spain - 1 posts
What is the current commercial property rate in Vancouver? - 5 posts
More on Polaris World refunds - 4 posts
long term rental needed - 5 posts
Clause 5 - 2 posts
THE NEW BEER DOWN THE SHIRT FASHION - 1 posts
Summer Feria Sabinillas - 1 posts
door eccessories sale - 0 posts
Electoral Register - 4 posts
new kitchen compony - 0 posts
mobility scooter for sale - 0 posts
Happy Birthday Costas - 1 posts
private Chauffeur services - 0 posts
Bus to Algeciras - 2 posts
Happy Birthday Susan - 10 posts
Party supplies - 8 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 2

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x