Exciting Products in Mercadona

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
31 Mar 2009 12:00 AM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Those of you that are coming out soon might be interested to know that I went to Mercadona today and to my delight, i discovered so  many new products.

I know some might think it sad but these little changes do make food shopping less mundane for me There is a whole new range of haircare products, I can't remember the name but I am sure it is their own brand made for Mercadona. There is serum and all kinds of interesting products that I would have had a good look through if I didn't need to dash off to the school. There are huge bottles of shower gel and family shampoo for a euro a bottle and I have tried both and they are great. There is a whole range of kids hair products in colourful, funky, quirky shapes bottles.

Now what else? Oh yes, bread. I made some exciting bread discoveries that were new including "oat" bread and a mediteranean loaf with sun dried tomato, herby bits and black olives etc and a loaf with chocolae chips in bright yellow packaging bot to be confused with the brioche loaf in the bolleria section.

I did look around making mental notes but I have forgotten now. They have also done away with just the packaged fruit and they are moving towards more environmentally friendly loose fruit although I didn't see anywhere to weigh it so I opted for the smaller section of packaged fruit.

There is the gazpacho soup but also an "Andaluz" version, wraps with chicken and cheese that you just put in the oven to warm up (2 for 1,60). Oh and they now do almonds which aren't fried or salted and giant pistachio nuts which are wonderful to snack on.

For anyone coming out from the UK, it will be a nice surprise because the choice has vastly expanded and the prices are still really compeitive.

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
31 Mar 2009 4:58 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Susan

I can well understand your excitement  --  I certainly don't think you're sad  --  as we take so much for granted living part time in both countries these days.

I make lists to bring certain items, enough for our holiday, out with us from the UK each trip. Recently I packed & then thought 'did I pack baked beans ?' (well, they're expensive there  ) so I chucked two cans in thinking ' what the heck ?'. When I unpacked there was only the two cans so I patted myself on the back for doing that. Ironically, we didn't have baked beans all the 25 days we were there (we were dragged out most days to eat  )

More ironically, shops are leaving advertising brochures by our post boxes & the Gama one said they had packs of 4 cans of Branston baked beans on offer for only 1.39€ so we bought six packs. Eat by sometime in 2010 !!  We pay 29p in the UK for most shop brands.

Mercadona sell a round sliced loaf, in a plastic wrapper, that has five different seeds in it for 1.45€ & we eat it with alioli. That's beautiful. I toast it to have with Asda's smart price orange marmalade 29p. Well, after all these MDDs we have we need to economise where we can.

Like 0      
31 Mar 2009 5:15 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I know the bread you mean, More, I really like it with cheese for sandwiches. Just remembering some other new products, there were some giant, German style frankfurters which are own brand and lots of sun protection, all repackaged (I assume the same products). I have just tried the children's factor 30 on my arm and it smooths over really easily. I also bought a factor 50 facial one. I usually but the one at the chemist but at twenty euros a go, I think I will try out the Mercadona one which I think was about 4 euros.

Susan

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
31 Mar 2009 5:30 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

Mercadona sell various packs of pate in the chiller for 1€ which we buy though they seem to have stopped selling my favourite in the line which had apple in it. Now we buy the one with peppercorns in it.

Whenever we visit our friends who have two dogs we can't turn up without doggie sausage rolls. The things we do, I ask you ?   The dogs remember us for that too & know we keep them in a bag we carry. If we're not fast to get the packet out there are two very wet noses in the bag.

I really like Mercadona & we are lucky that, in our nearby town of Guardamar, Mercadona & Lidl's are adjacent to each other.

This message was last edited by morerosado on 3/31/2009.

Like 0      
31 Mar 2009 5:39 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Oh the apple one is really nice, I am sure they still do it here, although I have noticed that they have stopped doing the mixed bag of Voyagers (the Mars,Snickers, Twix, Bounty etc equivalent). Mercadona Kit kat copies are better than the real thing as far as I am concerned.

Susan

Like 0      
01 Apr 2009 7:13 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Sorry to bump but for anyone who is interested there was also a new range in "quality" pasta, you know the real luxury stuff (dry not fresh).

Susan

Like 0      
01 Apr 2009 8:39 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Oh, and have just eaten a bag of their own brand dark chocolat peanuts and have to say they are very, very good.

Susan

Like 0      
01 Apr 2009 8:48 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar

SUSAN-N-N-NNNNNNNNNNNNN

You little (& you're so tiny too).

Like 0      
01 Apr 2009 9:13 PM by FibbyUK Star rating in UK, Surrey & Playa F.... 2349 posts Send private message

FibbyUK´s avatar

I'm sure she enjoyed it tho More......you would wouldn't you?

We are all little piggy at hearts, you too!

FibbyUK

One off fee to pay your own La Renta tax (210 Form)
Check out my website:

http://www.payingtaxesinspain210form.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Easter holidays - 1 posts
Where does all the Garden Rubbish go? - 1 posts
Question for Maria - Car insurance liability - 1 posts
Free towels for cat/dog rescue centre available Costa Blanca South - 0 posts
Volunteers needed Costa Blanca - 2 posts
Renting out apartment? - 0 posts
SAD - 7 posts
Need a Programable Themostat - 0 posts
How many complaints about an EOS member before he/she is blocked, etc.? - 2 posts
Should someone ask you before they PM you? - 4 posts
Nearly new Funiture pack - 0 posts
JUSTIN: Can anyone else post after Gypsy on a certain thread ? - 1 posts
RECOMMENDED SOLICITOR - 3 posts
32" Sharp Television for sale - 0 posts
RE plating a car - 2 posts
CHECK YOU HAVE D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y REGISTERED THE SPANISH SIM IN YOUR MOBILE - 5 posts
4x4 Kia Sportage 2.0 Tdi 5door for sale - 3 posts
Internet and Land Line - 8 posts
If we can take a little time to stop ..... - 7 posts
Castoral Value of Property - 2 posts
Help - 1 posts
Nearly new Funiture pack - 0 posts
Still no address on property bought 12 months ago - 2 posts
Need furniture for -2 bedroom apartment - 0 posts
lar sol refunds - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 9

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x