working part-time self employed

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
11 Mar 2009 12:00 AM by COSMO Star rating in Gateshead and Costa.... 46 posts Send private message

Hi,could anyone give me any advice about working part-time on a self employed basis.

I will be working in England for part of the month then commuting to Spain for the rest of the month.(more than 183 days in England)

While in Spain I want to try and get some sort of job up and running. 

My wife and I would be looking to do this together,after looking through a few posts am I right in understanding

we would both have to pay the same amount  if we are autonomos?

As we would only be working part-time we would not be looking to make a large amount of money, what would be our options regarding paying  tax and paying social security?

Thanks,

Kevin. 

Like 0      
11 Mar 2009 9:52 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

Hi Kevin

I think if you are both earning then you both need to pay it.  It's around 250 Euros each per month...which is very high really.

Maybe try and find a good gestor in your area and go and get some advice from him/her.  A gestor will help you get the most out of the system in a way that works best for you both.

Best of luck with it.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
12 Mar 2009 4:42 PM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Hi Kevin,

It may be worth considering just registering your wife as self employed in the short term? This would at least save on €250 a month NIC costs until you decide what direction you really want to take.

Mike T

Like 0      
12 Mar 2009 9:15 PM by COSMO Star rating in Gateshead and Costa.... 46 posts Send private message

Thanks for the info.

Mike, does it make any difference if she was short or long term? As Justin stated I thought as long as we are both working we would both have to pay the full amount.

You would think there would be a lower payment for working part-time.

Whose to say you would even make enough money to pay the contributions.

thanks.

Kevin.

Like 0      
15 Mar 2009 2:24 PM by miket Star rating in La Mairena, Elviria. 371 posts Send private message

Hi Cosmo,

No it doesn't as far as I'm aware! There are no thresholds in the Spanish system that would reduce the basic NIC amount. The UK system is much fairer than Spain where you can purchase a weekly Stamp then pay  Class 4 Nic scale charge based on your Actual profits declared at the end of the financial year.

Unfortunately, the system here doesn't appear to encourage self employment when the Nic cost alone is around €3,000 a year!!

Mike T

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Free Bank Transfers ? - 1 posts
Insurance - 3 posts
advice please - 0 posts
mortgage broker - 2 posts
M & S now deliver to Spain - 9 posts
Spanish social security - 2 posts
New Pictures - 10 posts
Nissan Primera Estate T - SPEC Model For Sale or Swap - 0 posts
Paying Taxes - 2 posts
Help with everything please !!!! - 0 posts
Car hire Scam resolved - 1 posts
The good thing about the crisis.... - 17 posts
wanted 3 bed apt Calahonda to El Rosario - 0 posts
Wanted - cheap TV - 1 posts
TAX rebate after selling between 2004 - 2008 - 4 posts
Anyone else have poblems today? - 16 posts
More UK Controls in the pipeline... - 3 posts
Bet You Thought.... - 0 posts
Pregnancy Care and Delivery - 5 posts
Are you moving back to UK? - 0 posts
BLANK CD'S AND DVD'S FROM RK MEDIA - 0 posts
Banks who made the mess... need to restore now - 8 posts
Artificual Stone Furniture - 0 posts
Rover 416 for sale. Taxed and perfect if you are going home to UK - 1 posts
Hunting for a 2-3 Bedroom Apt in Calahonda - Seeking Advice - 4 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x