New Pictures

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
10 Mar 2009 12:00 AM by COSMO Star rating in Gateshead and Costa.... 46 posts Send private message

Hi all,

could anyone give me the latest info on importing a rhd car into spain.

my wife has owned her car for two years and wants to take it across with her when we move in june.

do you still have to pay import tax?

are there any other charges to pay?

how do you get it registered in spain?

any info welcome,

COSMO.

Like 0      
15 Mar 2009 6:42 PM by londoneye Star rating. 19 posts Send private message

Hi,

I am looking for the same information but my car is already here in a lock up. I have been quoted 800 euros from a small one man business to do it all for me. My car is a 1993 merc. in very good condition. I have also been told that I can do it myself for a fraction of that cost but can't find the relevant info. on how to do it correctly.

Has anyone registered their Uk car recently?

Many thanks.

Mike

Like 0      
16 Mar 2009 10:33 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

For cars over 12 years old, the registration (matriculation) tax should be pretty low since the value for tax purposes will be depreciated to 10% of the book price. Assuming it's a bit of a polluter, the highest Co2 tax rate is 14.75%. So if it's, say, a '93 C class with an original book price of about €20k, the tax should be less than €300. You would also have to get an engineer's report (homologation) and ITV (MoT), register it with the local council for road (circulation) tax, and don't forget about changing the headlamps. Factor in your time and more significantly STRESS - I've not done it myself, but maybe €800 ain't too bad actually. How much is the car worth?!

You can see why I usually recommend people to buy a car in Spain rather than bring one with them!

Still waiting to hear how TechNoApe is getting on with the process????

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
16 Mar 2009 11:28 PM by londoneye Star rating. 19 posts Send private message

Gracias Roberto,

The car is only worth about £200 but a lot more to me as I have had it all checked out with new tyres etc. I have been told that itshould run for another 4 to 5 years without a problem and I have had it for over ten years so it would be a shame to get rid of it as it is a very reliable car.  800 Euros would be cheap to keep the car for that length of time but it may be better to put the money towards a second hand Spanish car.

Like 0      
17 Mar 2009 12:00 AM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

I don't know. You won't get much for €1000 here, if anything at all, and if you do find something cheap it will almost certainly be a complete load of cr*p and have been run into the ground. Maybe try and get another quote to see if you can get it done any cheaper? Or maybe just leave your old Merc in storage and hope that soon it'll be a classic and appreciate in value! Or maybe someone returning to the UK would give you more than £200? It's surely worth more than that? Meanwhile, get yourself a cheap LHD run-around. After all, driving a rhd here can become a pain in the ar5e.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
17 Mar 2009 11:16 AM by londoneye Star rating. 19 posts Send private message

Thanks again Roberto. I will get another quote and then go from there. If I get the car registered over here it will be cheaper than buying one and then perhaps I can get a little scooter for the small runs that I do. I need to sort out the best way of of getting my driving licence legal too as it is the old paper licence. 

Like 0      
17 Mar 2009 5:44 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

There have been discussions about this previously (you can probably find them with an appropriate search) and opinion tends to be divided.

On the one hand, some staunchly stick to their belief that any EU issued licence is perfectly legal and acceptable in Spain, even once you are a resident. Although I still feel that the info on Tráfico's website is a little ambiguous, I concede that it would appear that strictly speaking this is true. However, if you have an old green UK licence issued before the pink EU ones, I wouldn't chance it. I'm unsure whether you can even change this type for a Spanish equivalent. Maybe you'd first have to update it with DVLA.

On the other hand, and my personal opinion, for the sake of a small fee and a couple of hours at a Tráfico office, exchanging your UK licence for a Spanish one will avoid any potential confusion (and pointless arguments) with the Guardia Civil if you're ever stopped.

Info on what you need to change it can be found here

Mark Twain

Like 0      
17 Mar 2009 7:12 PM by londoneye Star rating. 19 posts Send private message

Just had a thought. Would getting an International Licence be acceptable to all those who REPRESENT the law while driving in Spain? Driving a UK or Spanish reg. vehicle.

Like 0      
17 Mar 2009 8:27 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Probably just confuse them even more

If you're driving a Spanish reg car, (unless it's a hire car) they will presume you are a resident, in which case I don't think they'd accept an International Permit.

Mark Twain

Like 0      
17 Mar 2009 8:33 PM by londoneye Star rating. 19 posts Send private message

Yes I agree, driving a Spanish reg. car other than a rental one would confuse the police. I have heard of this happening and the police were not very happy. I think the best way is just  getting a Spanish licence then your safe............I presume.

Like 0      
17 Mar 2009 8:45 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

Exactly.

Mark Twain

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Nissan Primera Estate T - SPEC Model For Sale or Swap - 0 posts
Paying Taxes - 2 posts
Help with everything please !!!! - 0 posts
Car hire Scam resolved - 1 posts
The good thing about the crisis.... - 17 posts
wanted 3 bed apt Calahonda to El Rosario - 0 posts
Wanted - cheap TV - 1 posts
TAX rebate after selling between 2004 - 2008 - 4 posts
Anyone else have poblems today? - 16 posts
More UK Controls in the pipeline... - 3 posts
Bet You Thought.... - 0 posts
Pregnancy Care and Delivery - 5 posts
Are you moving back to UK? - 0 posts
BLANK CD'S AND DVD'S FROM RK MEDIA - 0 posts
Banks who made the mess... need to restore now - 8 posts
Artificual Stone Furniture - 0 posts
Rover 416 for sale. Taxed and perfect if you are going home to UK - 1 posts
Hunting for a 2-3 Bedroom Apt in Calahonda - Seeking Advice - 4 posts
mortgage underwriting - 1 posts
Long Term Car Hire - 1 posts
Rent to Buy - 3 posts
Friendly residents - 5 posts
Has anybody ever heard of this card - 1 posts
JET2 flights Murcia to Edinburgh 99pence plus tax - 9 posts
NIE - new requirements for dependent children - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x