Prices - UK v Spain

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
02 Jan 2009 12:00 AM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar

How do furniture prices in Spain compare with those in the UK. I notice UK companies are only to keen to display prices on TV and web sites but Spanish companies seem to like to keep prices a secret, this always makes me suspicious. We will need a sofa and a few other bits and bobs and are wondering if we should try to squeeze a sofa into the 7.5 ton. van we are planning to use.

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
02 Jan 2009 10:09 PM by bobaol Star rating. 2253 posts Send private message

bobaol´s avatar

You can get bargains on furniture in Spain but they are few and far between.  Most of the suites/sofas appear to be that cheapo Chinese leather stuff you buy in UK from Land of Leather or DFS etc but at double the price.  If you can get your sofa in the van, you would be advised to do so.  IMO furniture in Spain has always been expensive compared to UK but especially now the pound has crashed.  A suite for 1400 euros or so was not too bad with a 1.5 exchange rate.  At 1 for 1 it is double the UK furniture store prices.

BTW, I managed to get a new fabric 3 seater and 2 seater from Hnos Garcia for 185 euros the 3 str and 135 the 2 str, so bargains are available.  They were ex-showroom stock, however.

Like 0      
02 Jan 2009 10:23 PM by Acapulco Star rating in Costa Blanca South.. 342 posts Send private message

Acapulco´s avatar

Thanks Bob, that's what I was afraid of.

If you're going through hell keep on going, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

Like 0      
02 Jan 2009 10:38 PM by Patty_1 Star rating in Hertfordshire. UK. .... 1062 posts Send private message

Yes second that, take it with you also their is not the choice we have in UK, it is like going back in time and a lot more expensive.

Pat 

This message was last edited by Pat and Roy on 1/2/2009.

Like 0      
03 Jan 2009 8:30 AM by scampi Star rating in London & Alfaix nr. .... 91 posts Send private message

scampi´s avatar

I think it depends where you look. Taking our time we are finding lots of choice with prices mostly similar to the UK & there is always IKEA whose prices are pretty low even taking into account the current exchange rate. In terms of style I would say that we have seen at least as good a range as there is in the UK

Like 0      
04 Jan 2009 6:58 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar

Speaking to our keyholders, they bought a 3 seater leather settee which cost a lot more than the UK equivalent, more than 100%!!! A lot of people are taking advantage of the £1/ €1 situation and buying in the UK and having it sent out. Try looking at www.parcel2go.com to see what they can do for you. We have just bought a 26" LCD HD ready TV in Argos for £210, we can ship it out with the aove company for £30. The equicalent TV in Spain couldn't be found for less tan €399!

Mark

Like 0      
04 Jan 2009 7:20 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar

The ex-rate is certainly a factor now, but for how long? Surely most things in the UK are imported, so when current stock runs out, I would think prices will have to rise considerably. IKEA is a good reference point, since the lines are virtually identical UK and Spain, so you can compare prices on the respective websites. For example the Tylosand 3 seat sofa: UK £537; Spain €649.

I have been looking at a Panasonic Home Cinema system (SC-PT467); cheapest price in the shops here is about €350, although I've found it online for €249 (out of stock currently!); searching the web I can find it in the UK for as little as £200!

The most amazing is new car prices. At the current exchange rate, for example, a new Audi A4 is about 10k (£ or €) less in the UK.

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
04 Jan 2009 8:24 PM by scampi Star rating in London & Alfaix nr. .... 91 posts Send private message

scampi´s avatar

I'm looking to buy a new Spanish car in the next few months. does anyone know whether they do any good deals for cash buyers at the moment like in england? Otherwise i'm clearly gonna get shafted because of the ex rate. i'm buying a small car - suzuki swift/ford ka/fiesta, etc?

Like 0      
12 Jan 2009 3:58 PM by hairbear Star rating. 77 posts Send private message

The exchange rate has been the major factor in making Spain seem expensive when compared to the UK .

When I came over here I was on 1.58e to the pound, it dropped to 1.02 around christmas 08 but now back up to 1.12 (12.01.08 Travelang). The problem is that the pound is so weak it fell from 1.30 to 1.10 July 10 08 to Jan 10 09 (-15%) against the euro but was even worse against the Cypriate pound falling over -22% in the same period and even worse against the Turkish Lira falling -29% in the same period.

The UK furniture market (nearly 90% now imported) has become very cut throat to the point that its causing problems ( Land of Leather Shares suspended today 12.01.09) with supply and quality. The problem for the buyer with sofas and indeed matresses is that the buyer cant see the insides i.e the frame, the suspension, springs, webbing, fixings and wadding (many problems with the wadding in far east leather sofas causing severe skin allergies) etc etc. Once the product leaves the UK any form of guarantee (if there was one anyway) will be invalidated or if not, very expensive for the buyer to initiate.

Spain does still have a large furniture manufacturing industry that can produce a good quality product that will have a guarantee. They also make beds that are designed to cope with the Spanish climate having increased ventilation, siliconised wadding etc, (Fridges and freezers are also set up differently to cope with the heat etc) all important factors to consider in the buying process.

The reason for waffling on about all this is that when considering whether to buy in UK or  Spain look at all the factors and not just the Price. A sofa that looks like a Mercedes from the outside may have a LADA under the Skin (apologies to Lada drivers I am sure they are great).

Happy Shopping

Like 0      
12 Jan 2009 8:32 PM by tinto. Star rating in Scotland & Nr Estepo.... 243 posts Send private message

tinto.´s avatar

I think the Spanish bars and restaurants on the front will have to have a rethink on prices or they wont be there. We were out at New Year to a restaurant which cost an arm and a leg on talking to the head waiter two years ago they had 143 covers, last year 120 and this year 47. We then went to Puerto Banus the next day and 3 beers 3 vodkas and 2 waters cost 53 euro.

Like 0      
12 Jan 2009 8:38 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Coast prices are ridiculous and thought for those before-euro times....

Go a bit to non so touristic places and will find real prices in Spain.

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Hi - let us introduce ourselves - 1 posts
Curtains / blinds - 0 posts
Weed control Fabric. - 0 posts
Currency Hedge - 0 posts
I.T. business for sale in Granada - 0 posts
investment required - 0 posts
'friendly' rental property - 4 posts
Cycle UK to Alicante - Appreciate any helpful views - 2 posts
wee peddy - 0 posts
How do I revise my email address? - 4 posts
Ford Transit Rimor Motorhome. 2005. For Sale - 0 posts
Hola from snowy Andalucia - 6 posts
Injured Stray Dog - Help Needed - 4 posts
Good area to move to? - 20 posts
SPANISH PROPERTY SCANDAL: JOINT ACTION - 0 posts
Bank / mortgage problems. - 26 posts
help wanted to rent out our apartment in Arenal Golf - 3 posts
NIE application forms - 0 posts
2009 commitment - 25 posts
Happy New Year................. - 12 posts
advice needed on my mortgage - 17 posts
u.k.based Lawyers - 5 posts
furniture - 7 posts
QUAD For Sale - 7 posts
Transporting Furniture from UK - 3 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 11

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x