When you've done the work and they just won't pay!!

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
14 Sep 2008 12:00 AM by Pedroinspain Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

Hi All,

Justs wondered if anyone else has experienced non-payment by a client for the work you have done?

Have just spent the last eight weeks meeting and greeting, cleaning, laundering, washing windows and terraces between clients, providing fresh linen during two-weeks stay etc., etc., whilst trying to ensure that an inadequately equipped (not enough bed linen/towels for change-over and turnaround cleans) meets with the visiting clients expectations.........not easy juggling all the balls!!

However, the apartment owner requested the return of their keys (with no explanation) and demanded a final statement of account which, upon receiving it, she has refused to pay and (in no uncertain terms) told me to f****off and leave her alone! Hardly the language of a professional, but maybe an insight into the personality of this individual?

None of her visiting clients have complained regarding the condition or state of cleanliness of her apartment, nor the services I have provided for them, so I am at a loss regarding her actions, both emotionally and financially!

Does anyone know where I can go from here? What actions can I take in order that this person does not get away without paying her dues? She has already engaged another "keyholder", and I certainly hope that she doesn't treat them with the contempt she has treated me!!! This person has received monies from her rental clients whilst I have done all the  hard work.......it hardly seems fair!

Your comments and advice will be gratefully received.

Like 0      
15 Sep 2008 7:44 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
You can start a " small debts procedure against them". It is called Monitorio and you do not need a lawyer if the debt is under 900 euros.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
15 Sep 2008 11:01 AM by Pedroinspain Star rating. 20 posts Send private message

Thank you Maria,

Your advice is much appreciated!

Where does one start this procedure?

Should the court find in my favour, what chance do I have of actually getting the money as she is unlikely to return to Spain due to her attempting to sell her property?

Regards.

Like 0      
15 Sep 2008 4:43 PM by Marksfish Star rating in Vera, Almeria. 2626 posts Send private message

Marksfish´s avatar
Hi Maria (sorry to hijack the thread Pedro, but I was going to ask a similar question myself). 

Do you think this system is similar to the UK small claims service, albeit with a lower claim value? In the UK, the defendent would receive a county court judgement that would sit on their credit file and make gaining credit difficult in the following 6 years. Gaining this CCJ also allows you to instruct the bailiffs. 

I am looking at reclaiming some money from a builder for their lack of replacement of broken fittings. The builders aren't playing ball and it will cost me €150 to fix myself. I did tell them if I heard nothing, I would make good myslef and reclaim from them, this seems the ideal way

Like 0      
16 Sep 2008 7:43 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
( answers in green)

PedroinSpain: 

You said: 

Where does one start this procedure? First Instance Court where the deffendant have an address.

Should the court find in my favour, what chance do I have of actually getting the money as she is unlikely to return to Spain due to her attempting to sell her property? Do not commence proceeding is she has no assets to execute in Spain. It would be useless.

Marksfish: 

You said: 

In the UK, the defendent would receive a county court judgement that would sit on their credit file and make gaining credit difficult in the following 6 years. Gaining this CCJ also allows you to instruct the bailiffs.  There is not a similar insrument in Spain. It would be useful though.

I am looking at reclaiming some money from a builder for their lack of replacement of broken fittings. The builders aren't playing ball and it will cost me €150 to fix myself. I did tell them if I heard nothing, I would make good myslef and reclaim from them, this seems the ideal way .  They may also have
an Insurance to cover these claims. Ask the builder for a copy of his policy. That may suffice for him to react.

This message was last edited by mariadecastro on 9/16/2008.

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
05 Oct 2009 11:03 AM by popins-pm Star rating in Balsicas. 31 posts Send private message

popins-pm´s avatar

Hi Pedro,

I sympathise with you having had similiar clients. We provide an excellent service and carry out that extra bit of work for free and generally people appreciate it. However, occasionally you get people who let their properties get hold of their money and dont like to part with it. Maybe its the distance, out of sight out of mind. What they dont realise is that we all work very hard to ensure good customer service and when this happens its disheartening.

At present we are trying to find extra cleaning jobs etc to keep hold of the really good people we have through the winter. This is another area you will encounter in the dispair department where people want you to do things for nothing. We dont ever comprimise on quality and find it insulting at times when people assume you can provide a rolls royce service for pushbike rates.

I personally take payments when work is requested until there is a good confident relationship and never get into market trading situations.

It is sometimes not cost effective to recover small debts and not worth the hassle.

Dont let it get you down though as this is typical in all industries where a few spoil the perception for the majority. I'm sure when you sit back and reconcile that your satisfied customers will always out weigh the few.

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Web Cam - 0 posts
Why are banks not paying out ? - 7 posts
Calpe apartments - 0 posts
wanted URGENT! Man with big van for local removal, torrevieja area - 0 posts
Hotels in Denia? - 0 posts
Spanish Alphabet? - 2 posts
Great Way to Learn Spanish-FREE! - 6 posts
ANYTHING U MISS FROM UK? - 97 posts
WHERE U FROM & HOW LONG U BEEN IN SPAIN? - 8 posts
COMPUTER ENGINEER WANTING TO MOVE TO SPAIN - 12 posts
ANY REGRETS?? - 6 posts
Off to Duquesa tonight! - 1 posts
advise needed satalite tv system - 4 posts
Messy Separation laws - 1 posts
URGENTLY I NEED PROPERTIES IN eSTEPONA MARBELLA SAN PEDRO TO LET - 0 posts
Swapping Sand or Sangria - 7 posts
Help - Advice needed about changing Lawyers - 3 posts
Can anyone recommend a good estate agent? - 23 posts
Cajamurcia online transfers to Spanish accounts - 3 posts
Thanks for the photos - 2 posts
Need cat friendly hotel near Madrid - 0 posts
Residencia - 1 posts
HELP!! Living in spain at the minute to quite thinking of going to Ibi - Alicante? - 2 posts
Importance of Legal Counsel's location - 3 posts
Can you help - 12 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 6

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x