Eye on Spain looks rubbish...

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
06 Aug 2008 2:11 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
OK, what the ......?
Now I find that FF does not obey the rules I have set for my Internet Options. Although in my Tabbed Browsing Settings, I have selected links from other programs to open in the SAME tab, which they do with IE, in FF every damned link I click on opens in a new tab, until I have dozens of bloody tabs open at the same time.
I don't care how rich Bill Gates is or how amateurish compter geeks think MS stuff is - it does exactly what it says on the tin, and that's good enough for me!

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please"

Mark Twain

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 2:15 PM by morerosado Star rating. 6927 posts Send private message

morerosado´s avatar
 Roberto ?    

Go stroke your pussy

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 2:45 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Do you have IE and FF? If so, please tell me I'm not imagining this:
In IE, my head is slowly shaking from side to side, in a pleasant lazy mañana manner.
In FF, it's going nuts and looks like it's going to fly off any moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's it, I'm definitely sticking to IE, FF is going to give me a stiff neck. Stressed? No way, I'm off down the pool for a few hours in the sun

Mark Twain

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 5:22 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar
I'm very much a Firefox man!

The main reason is all the add ons you can get for it, especially useful for web developers, which you just can't get on IE.

The editor works slightly differently in each browser (and different again in Safari) but some upgrades, planned for later this week, should help.

There is nothing wrong with IE, especially since they introduced tabbed browsing, which was the main feature it was missing.  But mine does tend to crash quite a bit.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 6:33 PM by summer70 Star rating in Granada. 92 posts Send private message

summer70´s avatar
That's why I use firefox.
For me IE is slow, clunky and very unreliable.  I also use quite a few of the add ons too and find tabbed browsing in IE quite inefficient in comparison.

Roberto, if you really want to know (and are not too hacked off to care... ) I usually right click on a link in Firefox and choose my options (same window, new window, new tab).  But many links are deliberately set up to open in a new window, so if you have tabbed browsing enabled in Firefox, as most people do, this will open in a new tab whatever you do.
Some people just do not want you to leave their sites completely when you go to another one (to be honest, I have a few web pages like that...).

But at the end of the day, we all go with what works best for us.
No point in getting stressed out over a *** computer
Much better to spend that time in the sun.

So stick with IE Roberto, if it works better for you.  After all, about 70% of computer users still do.

morerosado,
sorry, I am at a loss as to why this doesn't work for Gypsy without seeing exactly what they doing and in what browser.
Perhaps Justin could help ...

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 6:54 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
Hi Summer70,
I understand about some websites having links set up to open in a new window or tab - I've done that too! 
Right clicking links within a website to choose how you want them to open is fine. But my problem is, the links in e-mail alerts from EOS. I don't know if it's different in other e-mail clients (I'm currently using Windows Live Mail), but other than copying and pasting the link, which I find unnecessarily cumbersome, right clicking it does not offer the option of selecting a new tab, same tab, etc. With IE set as my default browser, simply clicking the link does exactly as I have set my options to do, open in the existing tab. Switch to FF as default, and it ignores this and opens a new tab for every thread, which means then closing the previous one, which I've finished with. Just seems messy to me.
But hey-ho, like you say, not worth getting stressed about, and if 7 out of 10 cats prefer IE, I won't feel bad about sticking with it!

Mark Twain

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 7:47 PM by summer70 Star rating in Granada. 92 posts Send private message

summer70´s avatar
Do you know Roberto, I had never even thought about that, but then I like having lots of tabs open (I'm strange that way ).  I like being able to see the thread I am posting to in one tab and have the thread I am referring to and linking to (if I am going to do that) in another tab. 
When I'm posting to my websites I like working that way too, but I can see how it can be annoying if you don't want to have all those tabs open (and I admit, I do sometjmes find myself with one heck of a lot of tabs open at once).

Foxbat (my hubby) would definitely agree with you on this.  He hates having loads of tabs open at once.

(and that's probably an option preferred by 7 out of 10 cats too )

Like 0      
06 Aug 2008 9:00 PM by Roberto Star rating in Torremolinos. 4551 posts Send private message

Roberto´s avatar
But even so, I presume Mr.Summer70 is essentially a Firefoxbat?
Yep, tabs are great if you are referring backwards and forwards between threads (like when the same topic is being discussed in two different places at the same time ), but when my inbox is full of EOS alerts to various different threads, I prefer to finish one topic off, before starting on another. See my motto below - not great at multi-tasking!

I do like having links to a few of my favourite sites on the toolbar, rather than having to make one extra click to open my favourites (bookmarks) menu. That's one small point for FF. But I have a direct link to EOS from my IE toolbar anyway.........

Mark Twain

Like 0      
07 Aug 2008 3:06 AM by summer70 Star rating in Granada. 92 posts Send private message

summer70´s avatar
"But even so, I presume Mr.Summer70 is essentially a Firefoxbat?"

Yes he is

And multi tasking.  Tell me about it!
Just attempting to organise my multi tasking makes me confused!

Like 0      

Pages: Previous | 1 | 2 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Have I a video for you HERE ? Spare pair of undies needed. - 13 posts
New Rules for Renting? - 11 posts
Roda Golf Apartment wanted for rental - 3 posts
Insuring a Spanish Caravan - 3 posts
Child Protection URGENT HELP NEEDED!!!! - 12 posts
Potty Paula Whitely Pilar De La Horada - 0 posts
IADJ tax refund - 0 posts
Comunidad corruption problems - 17 posts
A VERY SAD AND SORRY STORY - 0 posts
TOLDO/SUN AWNING - 1 posts
TDT Transmitter Location - 3 posts
Reposessions How long does it take? - 4 posts
Question - about experiences - 0 posts
Good morning everyone! - 8 posts
Just trying out my Avatar - 3 posts
New free directory - 5 posts
transfers from alicante to guardamar - 1 posts
Kitchen 4 Sale - 2 posts
Oven, Hob & Extractor For Sale - 0 posts
Fridge Freezer 4 Sale - 0 posts
Fridge Freezer 4 Sale - 0 posts
Washing Machine 4 Sale - 0 posts
Van Space - 0 posts
Anyone in R4 out there end of August? - 12 posts
Long term rental required Alicante - 1 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 29

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 | 2 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x