Handing back property to the bank

Post reply   Start new thread
:: New - Old :: Old - New

Pages: 1 |

Forum home :: Latest threads :: Search forums
The Comments
18 Feb 2008 12:00 AM by KevinGames Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

Hi,

Does anyone know what would happen within the Spanish legal system with regards to handing back a property to the mortgage lender.  My friend on the same development as me in the Costa Blanca is hitting hard times and is going through a divorce and simply cannot make the mortgage payments.  I think  the weakness of the euro against the pound doesn't help when he does his monthly transfers from the UK.  He asked me if I knew what the outcome would be if he "handed the property back" to the bank.  He has a 20 percent stake (deposit on purchase) which I assume he would lose.  Tricky one this...but interesting.  As a non resident, does anyone know if this would be an option for him?  Whatever the outcome, don't tell his wife.!

Regards,

Kev

Like 0      
18 Feb 2008 11:43 PM by EOS Team Star rating in In Spain of course!. 4015 posts Send private message

EOS Team´s avatar

I know cases where people have done just that and the bank has happily taken possession of a property.  As long as what the bank can sell it for is at least the value of the mortgage then I don't think there would be a problem.

Probably best to get Smiley here to answer this one though.

Can he not try and get it rented out, possibly on a long term basis?  Seems like a lot of money to lose especially if he's going through a divorce too.

Justin

Schools in Spain Guide | The Expat Files | Learn Spanish | Earn a living in Spain

Like 0      
19 Feb 2008 6:33 AM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar
The Bank will start an seizure of property procedure after three or four months of unpaid mortgage instalments and after requester the borrower to pay and solve the problem.

The judicial procedure for seizure dirves to the sale of the Property in Public Auction so that teh bank can recover his money with the price of the house in that auction.

AS far as the price is higher than the remaining debt, there will be no more problem... but... I am with Justin: cannot you try to rent it out?

Best,

Maria

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      
19 Feb 2008 8:48 PM by KevinGames Star rating. 17 posts Send private message

Thanks for the info.  I have tried to encourage him to rent out his property but we have both experienced a "dodgy" service with a local Property Rental Company.  I only let mine to friends and family but my friend says he wants to "cut his ties" !

If his property sold at the public auction for less than he owed on the mortgage would he be responsible for any difference? So is it a matter of him walking into the bank and giving the keys back ?  What about any CGT and Suma charges etc?

Talking of rental...does anyone have any advice also.

Many thanks,

Kev

Like 0      
19 Feb 2008 9:09 PM by mariadecastro Star rating in Algeciras (Cadiz). 9402 posts Send private message

mariadecastro´s avatar

Dear Kev:

Answering your questions in green:

Thanks for the info.  I have tried to encourage him to rent out his property but we have both experienced a "dodgy" service with a local Property Rental Company.  I only let mine to friends and family but my friend says he wants to "cut his ties" !

If his property sold at the public auction for less than he owed on the mortgage would he be responsible for any difference? Yes, he will. So is it a matter of him walking into the bank and giving the keys back ?  What about any CGT and Suma charges etc? Every debt will be against the property first and them if a remainer, against the rest of his patrionmy eithere here or in the Uk. Need to say that for UK goods execution the Bank will make calculations to see if it is worth it.

Talking of rental...does anyone have any advice also. Justin will be launching soon a great product for safe rentals.

Many thanks,

Kev

Maria L. de Castro, JD, MA

Lawyer

Director www.costaluzlawyers.es

El blog de Maria

Like 0      

Pages: 1 |

Post reply    Start new thread

Previous Threads

Am i allowed to recomend trades men on this site? Air Con Company? - 5 posts
New kids on the block - 14 posts
Happy Spanish experiences - 0 posts
Valencian land grab - 0 posts
Col - 1 posts
ArranLeeSmith(lorrainebraid)secret snaps! - 0 posts
Hello Everyone - 1 posts
RANGE ROVER VOGUE 2005 4.4 V8 WHITE MINT CONDITION - 5 posts
PMs - An apology - 2 posts
Corrugated plastic roofing panels - 2 posts
Another bit of fun ( ? ) - 9 posts
Bankrupt constructor in Murcia - 1 posts
Urb.St.Louis. - 9 posts
Spanish Law. - 1 posts
So near yet so far - 4 posts
Newcomer - 9 posts
Headlights on English car - 1 posts
Motor trade contacts - 1 posts
Doggy Dilemma - 10 posts
Bereaved? - 28 posts
Hard Water Area - 0 posts
Cartagena, Costa Blanca photos, please add more. - 0 posts
Orihuela, Costa Blanca photos, please add more. - 3 posts
internet in spain - 0 posts
San Pedro del Pinatar, Costa Blanca photos. Please add more - 0 posts

Number of posts in this thread: 5

DISCLAIMER:  All opinions posted on these message boards are the opinion solely of the poster and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of Eye on Spain, its servants or agents.

1 |
Our Weekly Email Digest
Name:
Email:

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse you are agreeing to our use of cookies. More information here. x